Mobile Hotspot Tethering

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I've seen a lot of talk about FoxFi and other mobile hotspot apps. The VZW Mobile Hotspot app does a "Checking Subscription Status" when launching, then completes and launches for me and I can tether just fine. I have a share everything plan, with four other phones on the plan.

My question is - does anyone know if this is a feature only on certain plans? I'm just curious since the assumption from other posts I've read is that it doesn't work for everyone - or am I missing something obvious?

Thx!

Posted via Android Central App

matthimrod

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
It's included with the Share Everything plans, but not most individual plans or the unlimited plan that many people are hanging onto as if their life depended on it.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It's included with the Share Everything plans, but not most individual plans or the unlimited plan that many people are hanging onto as if their life depended on it.

Yup, what he said. I have the unlimited data plan, and wifi tethering was disabled. I was able to root & change a 1 to a 0 in a table, and then unroot. Works perfectly now.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yaytech, what root method did you go with? Also, will that method work after the recent update most of us received?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I used MotoRoot. I rooted, changed the digit, and unrooted. I was unrooted when I took the OTA, but tested it again afterward, and it still worked.

comptech520

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

FoxFi did have an update within the past couple of days to support the Droid Maxx. Though, there is an additional step involved.

Also, with the MotoRoot software, I tried that method and I got a Google notification that the software was not installed and could wreck my system (not word for word, but the point) and would NOT install.

Can you please provide the link you used for the MotoRoot software?

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I sure am glad I had MotoRoot installed before the update! It sounds like you can no longer download the app. Like YayTech said, I don't want to uninstall and find out (smile). For the update I un-rooted, updated, then used MotoRoot again to put back the root.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

FoxFi did have an update within the past couple of days to support the Droid Maxx. Though, there is an additional step involved.

Also, with the MotoRoot software, I tried that method and I got a Google notification that the software was not installed and could wreck my system (not word for word, but the point) and would NOT install.

Can you please provide the link you used for the MotoRoot software?

Try unchecking "Verify Apps" in Setting - Security & Screen Lock and try running MotoRoot again

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

Thanks matthimrod ... I really don't get the unlimited hoarders ... But if it floats your boat that's your choice, I used to think I couldn't live without it. I can't fault vzw for not allowing it on unlimited though ... Thanks again for clearing it up.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks matthimrod ... I really don't get the unlimited hoarders ... But if it floats your boat that's your choice, I used to think I couldn't live without it. I can't fault vzw for not allowing it on unlimited though ... Thanks again for clearing it up.

Hoarders? Yup, that's completely logical and justified.

Oookey, moving on

boochrisboo

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the hostility to those of us who kept unlimited data.Or the anger towards those who use lots of data. Verizon is the one who sold us a product, the producted was labelled unlimited. So don't hate on us "hoarders" because we use a product that we purchased.
BCB

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the hostility to those of us who kept unlimited data.Or the anger towards those who use lots of data. Verizon is the one who sold us a product, the producted was labelled unlimited. So don't hate on us "hoarders" because we use a product that we purchased.
BCB

SHUT UP, you, hoarder! Go sit in the corner and stream video, music, YouTube, and download the other 791 Gb of your unlimited data!

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Not just Crazy Russian but Crazy Russian 007. That's like Ivan Drago + James Bond or KGB + MI5 in addition to my unlimited data plan :)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

For me, keeping the unlimited data is very nice, but there's also the factor that if I went to their new share plans (which is what I would have to do if I stayed with Verizon & got a new plan), it would cost me somewhere around $30 more a month, and I would get less for it. The only plus would be being able to easily add a tablet to the plan for another $10/mo, but that's not worthwhile for me.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I like to keep my phone without a lock pattern or anything of that sort. When I installed FoxFi it insists that I have a screen lock of some kind. I'd like to have tethering but don't want to deal with a screen lock. Any advice?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I like to keep my phone without a lock pattern or anything of that sort. When I installed FoxFi it insists that I have a screen lock of some kind. I'd like to have tethering but don't want to deal with a screen lock. Any advice?

Root and change the digit that enables/disables stock tethering. Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with MotoRoot installing for those that didn't already have it installed before the OTA. Have you installed the latest OTA yet? If you have, a different root method will be necessary, but it sounds like there are several approaches available. If you haven't, MotoRoot is way easy to use.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Root and change the digit that enables/disables stock tethering. Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with MotoRoot installing for those that didn't already have it installed before the OTA. Have you installed the latest OTA yet? If you have, a different root method will be necessary, but it sounds like there are several approaches available. If you haven't, MotoRoot is way easy to use.

Sadly, I already did the update before looking into this.