Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By boochrisboo
  • 1 Post By Deron Baker
  • 2 Post By Deron Baker
  • 3 Post By psychoD33x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Mobile Hotspot Tethering

I've seen a lot of talk about FoxFi and other mobile hotspot apps. The VZW Mobile Hotspot app does a "Checking Subscription Status" when launching, then completes and launches for me and I can tether just fine. I have a share everything plan, with four other phones on the plan.

My question is - does anyone know if this is a feature only on certain plans? I'm just curious since the assumption from other posts I've read is that it doesn't work for everyone - or am I missing something obvious?

Thx!

Posted via Android Central App
    Save a kitten, use an Android

Default Re: Mobile Hotspot Tethering

It's included with the Share Everything plans, but not most individual plans or the unlimited plan that many people are hanging onto as if their life depended on it.

Quote Originally Posted by matthimrod View Post
    It's included with the Share Everything plans, but not most individual plans or the unlimited plan that many people are hanging onto as if their life depended on it.
    Yup, what he said. I have the unlimited data plan, and wifi tethering was disabled. I was able to root & change a 1 to a 0 in a table, and then unroot. Works perfectly now.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ROM
    CNA

Yaytech, what root method did you go with? Also, will that method work after the recent update most of us received?

I used MotoRoot. I rooted, changed the digit, and unrooted. I was unrooted when I took the OTA, but tested it again afterward, and it still worked.
    Thanked by:
    xweb10 

Hi,

FoxFi did have an update within the past couple of days to support the Droid Maxx. Though, there is an additional step involved.

Also, with the MotoRoot software, I tried that method and I got a Google notification that the software was not installed and could wreck my system (not word for word, but the point) and would NOT install.

Can you please provide the link you used for the MotoRoot software?

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

Wow. I sure am glad I had MotoRoot installed before the update! It sounds like you can no longer download the app. Like YayTech said, I don't want to uninstall and find out (smile). For the update I un-rooted, updated, then used MotoRoot again to put back the root.

Quote Originally Posted by comptech520 View Post
    Hi,

FoxFi did have an update within the past couple of days to support the Droid Maxx. Though, there is an additional step involved.

Also, with the MotoRoot software, I tried that method and I got a Google notification that the software was not installed and could wreck my system (not word for word, but the point) and would NOT install.

Can you please provide the link you used for the MotoRoot software?
    Try unchecking "Verify Apps" in Setting - Security & Screen Lock and try running MotoRoot again

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by matthimrod View Post
    Thanks matthimrod ... I really don't get the unlimited hoarders ... But if it floats your boat that's your choice, I used to think I couldn't live without it. I can't fault vzw for not allowing it on unlimited though ... Thanks again for clearing it up.

Save a kitten, use an Android

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxWeather View Post
    Thanks matthimrod ... I really don't get the unlimited hoarders ... But if it floats your boat that's your choice, I used to think I couldn't live without it. I can't fault vzw for not allowing it on unlimited though ... Thanks again for clearing it up.

Hoarders? Yup, that's completely logical and justified.

Oookey, moving on

I don't understand the hostility to those of us who kept unlimited data.Or the anger towards those who use lots of data. Verizon is the one who sold us a product, the producted was labelled unlimited. So don't hate on us "hoarders" because we use a product that we purchased.
    BCB

Quote Originally Posted by boochrisboo View Post
    I don't understand the hostility to those of us who kept unlimited data.Or the anger towards those who use lots of data. Verizon is the one who sold us a product, the producted was labelled unlimited. So don't hate on us "hoarders" because we use a product that we purchased.
    BCB
    SHUT UP, you, hoarder! Go sit in the corner and stream video, music, YouTube, and download the other 791 Gb of your unlimited data!

ROM
    I don't root.

That is one crazy Russian! No one told him the cold war was over.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Droid Razr MAXX HD since Dec 2012.
    CrazyRussian007 likes this.

Not just Crazy Russian but Crazy Russian 007. That's like Ivan Drago + James Bond or KGB + MI5 in addition to my unlimited data plan :-)

ROM
    I don't root.

"If he dies, he dies."

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Droid Razr MAXX HD since Dec 2012.

I must break you..... and your data caps

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxWeather View Post

For me, keeping the unlimited data is very nice, but there's also the factor that if I went to their new share plans (which is what I would have to do if I stayed with Verizon & got a new plan), it would cost me somewhere around $30 more a month, and I would get less for it. The only plus would be being able to easily add a tablet to the plan for another $10/mo, but that's not worthwhile for me.

I like to keep my phone without a lock pattern or anything of that sort. When I installed FoxFi it insists that I have a screen lock of some kind. I'd like to have tethering but don't want to deal with a screen lock. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by mgullick View Post
    I like to keep my phone without a lock pattern or anything of that sort. When I installed FoxFi it insists that I have a screen lock of some kind. I'd like to have tethering but don't want to deal with a screen lock. Any advice?
    Root and change the digit that enables/disables stock tethering. Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with MotoRoot installing for those that didn't already have it installed before the OTA. Have you installed the latest OTA yet? If you have, a different root method will be necessary, but it sounds like there are several approaches available. If you haven't, MotoRoot is way easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Root and change the digit that enables/disables stock tethering. Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with MotoRoot installing for those that didn't already have it installed before the OTA. Have you installed the latest OTA yet? If you have, a different root method will be necessary, but it sounds like there are several approaches available. If you haven't, MotoRoot is way easy to use.
    Sadly, I already did the update before looking into this.

Hey guys... Any idea where I can find the instructions for changing the digit to enable stock tethering?

Quote Originally Posted by jayzun#AC View Post
    Hey guys... Any idea where I can find the instructions for changing the digit to enable stock tethering?

You'll have to use a different method for root (there are some threads around about them), but here's the instructions:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ther-maxx.html