Speed increase after update

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
So after days of worrying I decided to update my phone. I was rooted with Motoroot to change the tethering. Finally unrooted and accepted the update. No problems, everything works fine thankfully and I still maintained tethering. So after the update I decided to test my connection speed since we are now able to take advantage of the newer bands. I must say I am impressed. I live across the river from NYC and am pulling down about 35Mbps. Very nice considering before the update I was maxxing out around 12ish. This speed is pushing close to my Fios speeds. Anyone else fortunate enough to get the bump in speed? If so what kind of numbers are you getting?

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I got a huge bump. 46.4 download. I wish I had unlimited data, I'd never use my WiFi. ;-)

Sent from my Droid Maxx.

redddog

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure it's just a few major cities that are seeing those crazy numbers. I live in Rochester and went from 10ish to 20ish.

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
In central Florida, I am only seeing around 20 - 25 mbps download, which is still fast enough for anything I need on this phone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

like2angle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
This screen shot is not the norm none the less I got this result at 7 AM on Veterans day. I must have been close to a cell tower. This test was done in Northridge California.

Screenshot_2013-11-11-07-06-14.png

Last edited:

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Very nice speeds. I'm lucky enough to still have the unlimited plan. I picked this phone up off contract and used motoroot for the tethering. If I could get close to these speeds at my job I'll be thrilled since I could stream better to one of the devices I bring with me

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My speeds are far worse on my Maxx then they were on my Rezound. Not sure why, but I was also wondering what LTE/GSM/UMTS is all about. I changed the band from global (not sure why it defaults to global) to LTE/CDMA and there was no change in speed. I then changed it to LTE/GSM/UMTS and my speed increased slightly. I used to get huge numbers with my Rezound.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
My speeds are far worse on my Maxx then they were on my Rezound. Not sure why, but I was also wondering what LTE/GSM/UMTS is all about. I changed the band from global (not sure why it defaults to global) to LTE/CDMA and there was no change in speed. I then changed it to LTE/GSM/UMTS and my speed increased slightly. I used to get huge numbers with my Rezound.

Had you tested the speeds before you upgraded? The Rezound isn't THAT old, but perhaps old enough that when you first got it, due to more capacity on the network, you were able to pull in more data. Verizon is just really clogged up now with so many subscribers, so their speeds are not as amazing as they were before. For some people seeing really awesome speeds after this update, perhaps they are in an AWS area, since this update unlocked the AWS band on the phone.

I get double the speeds on T-Mobile HSPA+ than I do on Verizon LTE now =\

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Had you tested the speeds before you upgraded? The Rezound isn't THAT old, but perhaps old enough that when you first got it, due to more capacity on the network, you were able to pull in more data. Verizon is just really clogged up now with so many subscribers, so their speeds are not as amazing as they were before. For some people seeing really awesome speeds after this update, perhaps they are in an AWS area, since this update unlocked the AWS band on the phone.

I get double the speeds on T-Mobile HSPA+ than I do on Verizon LTE now =\

I think you may be correct about the network being saturated and bogged down. It was at least a year ago I remember checking and getting fantastic speeds.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I can't get above 17-20, but I don't remember what it was before the update

Last edited:

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
epazumyr.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Lots of congestion in southern California. They should be opening up some more AWS towers soon

ryzy2e9e.jpg
su4u6a3y.jpg
tymeqysa.jpg

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I just ran an FCC App test at my office (south of Atlanta). I was occasionally dropping to 3G indoors here. I got the numbers back and ran a couple of the Ookla tests to confirm. 77, 81, and 80 down. Low 30's up.

I normally don't do a lot of speed tests - instantaneous numbers don't really say much, and I am concerned about overall performance.

But, wow.

Posted from my XT1080M

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae