Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  • 1 Post By bhameyedoc
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Hangout Update

The new Google hangouts update enables all android 4.0 and up users to use hangouts as their main SMS & MMS service. I decided to switch over because its my understanding when 4.4 comes out hangouts will be the new messaging app. Now to my question, when i switched over (which is seamless), I wasn't able to disable the old default messaging app without hangouts not working properly kept force closing, as i have no need for it anymore is there a way to freeze it where hangouts still works properly?

p.s. i turned off notifications in the settings

R.K.
    Last edited by RMK92; 11-17-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: correct term

Default Re: Google Hangout Update

when 4.4 comes out you might still have the old messaging app. but u can choose which to make the default messaging app.

so if you disable now and switchover hangouts will continue to be your default messenger
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

I was wondering the same thing.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by RMK92 View Post
    The new Google hangouts update enables all android 4.0 and up users to use hangouts as their main SMS & MMS service. I decided to switch over because its my understanding when 4.4 comes out hangouts will be the new messaging app. Now to my question, when i switched over (which is seamless), I wasn't able to disable the old default messaging app without hangouts not working properly kept force closing, as i have no need for it anymore is there a way to freeze it where hangouts still works properly? .
    Until KitKat, Hangouts for SMS is just like using any third party SMS app. You can disable notifications for the stock messaging app, but you can't disable it.

With KitKat, that will change. Messaging will be an internal service and the user can chose a client of their choice. On the Nexus 5, Hangouts is the default client. Motorola may not chose to go that way - for ease of upgrade for people currently using the Moto messaging client on Jellybean, they may chose to keep that app as the default, but in KitKat you should be able to disable that app. But, I guess we'll see when we get 4.4...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thank you very much Doogald.

You bring up the "Moto messaging client" for JB, the new droids wouldnt have that because of the semi vanilla OS? im coming from a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, so alot of the moto specific apps are new to me.
    Thanks,
    R.K.

Quote Originally Posted by RMK92 View Post
    Thank you very much Doogald.

You bring up the "Moto messaging client" for JB, the new droids wouldnt have that because of the semi vanilla OS? im coming from a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, so alot of the moto specific apps are new to me.
    Thanks,
    R.K.
    Semi-vanilla is a good description. The messaging app is called MotoMMS.apk. It's a slightly customized version of stock android. Again, I'm not sure what Moto will do for 4.4. It may be that they just go with Hangouts.

My hangout app updated itself the other day and now I get double txts messages (ie, one text message shows up as two messages of the same text) in my original messaging app. Is there a way of stopping this? I guess I will maybe disable the SMS integration in Hangouts and see if that will do it.
    Droid Maxx
    Running 4.4 Kit Kat

US Navy CPO Ret

The one thing I don't like about Hangouts, which is true about any other messaging app other than Motorola's, is that it doesn't work with Moto Assist while driving - incoming text messages are not read out loud. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the stock app is the only thing that works with Assist.
    CattieBrie likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by bhameyedoc View Post
    The one thing I don't like about Hangouts, which is true about any other messaging app other than Motorola's, is that it doesn't work with Moto Assist while driving - incoming text messages are not read out loud. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the stock app is the only thing that works with Assist.
    You are correct.

So basically, pre KitKat there is not any way to stop the double messages?

Posted via Android Central App

I use "Verizon Messages" because I like a dark background and colored bubbles. Works just fine with my Ford Sync. I just made it my default messaging app and made no other changes when I first got the phone.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

The only thing i found which works for me is to go into the stock messaging app under setting and turn off notifications. it will still show a number my the app but it wont notify you twice.

Another thing i found out by using hangouts is when you have a new contact, it will notshow the persons name or picture in hangouts menu only the persons number. but when you click on the persons texts it will refresh itself and show the name and picture etc..

R.K.

Quote Originally Posted by 1158pm View Post
    So basically, pre KitKat there is not any way to stop the double messages?
    Posted via Android Central App
    I went back into the Hangouts app and disabled the SMS integration and the double messages stopped
    Droid Maxx
    Running 4.4 Kit Kat

US Navy CPO Ret
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

I was liking the integration with hangouts until I tried to search my text messages. With hangouts, you can't search your messages. This is a huge flaw, and the one that caused me to switch back away from it.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.