Question about Verizon's native hot spot.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am currently on unlimited data. As a result I would normally have to pay to use the native Verizon hot spot feature. Those on tiered data plans however have free use of the hot spot. Currently I have use of the hot spot because I changed the entitlement check. I am wondering if this will still be the case when our Maxx gets KitKat? We may lose our changed entitlement check trick.

My question if this. If you are on the 6 GB data plan do you get the free hot spot feature?

I am very tempted to give up my unlimited data for the 6 GB plan that Verizon is offering to get customers off of unlimited data. Even the 2 GB would be plenty for me most of the time. One month last summer I did use 2.5 GB but that was unusual. 6 GB would be plenty for me and would be enough that I wouldn't have to worry about watching my use. So the benefit of switching to the 6 GB plan for me would be (1) the use of the free hot spot and of course (2) the ability to get subsidized upgrades. BTW: I bought my Maxx full retail and will not need a phone upgrade for a long time (smile). I would wait until I need a new phone to switch but I am afraid by that time the 6 GB offer will be long gone. No ones knows.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am currently on unlimited data. As a result I would normally have to pay to use the native Verizon hot spot feature. Those on tiered data plans however have free use of the hot spot. Currently I have use of the hot spot because I changed the entitlement check. I am wondering if this will still be the case when our Maxx gets KitKat? We may lose our changed entitlement check trick.

My question if this. If you are on the 6 GB data plan do you get the free hot spot feature?

I am very tempted to give up my unlimited data for the 6 GB plan that Verizon is offering to get customers off of unlimited data. Even the 2 GB would be plenty for me most of the time. One month last summer I did use 2.5 GB but that was unusual. 6 GB would be plenty for me and would be enough that I wouldn't have to worry about watching my use. So the benefit of switching to the 6 GB plan for me would be (1) the use of the free hot spot and of course (2) the ability to get subsidized upgrades. BTW: I bought my Maxx full retail and will not need a phone upgrade for a long time (smile). I would wait until I need a new phone to switch but I am afraid by that time the 6 GB offer will be long gone. No ones knows.

Hi ... First, what deal is Verizon offering with the 6 GB

Next, yes, the GB plans offer free hotspot. I use my often.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Next, yes, the GB plans offer free hotspot. I use my often.

I'm not sure on the specifics but Verizon offered me 6 GB for $30 a month if I signed a new contract and gave up my Unlimited Data. This was just yesterday but I declined because I'm already over that (6.3 GB used) and my bill doesn't reset until December 11th.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

They had been offering 6GB per line for the same price as unlimited (29.99 per month). At first, that was EDGE pricing, but they had extended it to existing customers on a subsidized upgrade. That was what I was offered on the "upgrade glitch" September weekend but was able to keep Unlimited due to their mistake. Right now, 6GB retail is $80, so I don't know if the $30 offer is still good. (EDIT: Just read Eclipse2K's post, so I guess so.)

I'm thankful (heh) that I was able to keep unlimited, because I just went over 6 GB - I normally rock along at 3 or 4, but I have been traveling and using more data. I also am trying out Easy Tether, since I didn't root before the update. Easy Tether is good for one computer, since it requires a USB cable. For multiple devices, not so much.

I've been looking at just paying VZW the extra $30/month for MHS, but if in the future my wife also needed it for her phone, it would then be cheaper to go to a share everything plan. It looks like you can add MHS for that fee to existing Unlimited data plans. If they would price their Share Everything at that same ratio ($5/GB) I think a lot of Unlimited hold-outs would switch.

To slightly change the topic: The download speeds since the update are amazing. I needed to pull down a couple of very big files last night that would have taken a chunk of time on my 1.5 ADSL, and they were down almost immediately using Easy Tether and my MAXX.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The edge plan does not get tethering by default as I recall, if that's what you mean by the 6 GB plan. I believe that there is an 8 GB edge plan that includes tethering, though.

http://phandroid.com/2013/08/27/verizon-edge-max-data/

I have a share everything plan with 3 smartphones and 3 iPads - it took that many devices to make the price worthwhile - and that definitely includes tethering. I don't use it much, and almost always do so with the iPad, which lasts a long time while tethering, but it's nice to have in a pinch.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Everyone on tiered data plans does not get hotspot for free. I'm on a family plan with my wife, we each get 4GB of data, we do not get hotspot.

The only plans that include hotspot are the new Share Everything plans. These plans are more expensive than the old plans, for example one phone with 2GB of data is $100/month, or two phones with 4GB of shared data is $150/month. That's more then we are paying for 4GB each! As long as we can find tethering workarounds for our phones we have no incentive to switch to a new plan.
Share Everything Plan | Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I guess my question wasn't exactly answered. Let me re-phrase it. Is there anyone out there that already has the 6 GB plan that can confirm that the hot spot does work for free?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm going to be hanging my hope on the community's track record of finding workarounds for this kind of thing, whether it be through something like the entitlement check change, or PDANet/FoxFi, etc. Might occasionally have to delay an update or go without tethering for a few weeks while a solution is found, but considering I'd have to pay Verizon $30 more a month to receive less for my money if I changed to a share everything plan, I'm not giving up unlimited anytime soon. I don't even really use THAT much data (~4gb/mo looks like), but the thought of paying more for less doesn't really fly with me.

I'm also hopeful that there will be more progress made in phasing out subsidized phones. Moto G and Nexus 5 make some major headway toward that. No reason phones should cost $700, except that the companies are getting away with charging that with subsidies.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I guess my question wasn't exactly answered. Let me re-phrase it. Is there anyone out there that already has the 6 GB plan that can confirm that the hot spot does work for free?

Are you talking about the 6 GB Edge plan or the 6 GB Share Everything plan? The first gets no hotspot support. The second gets hotspot support. I have a 6 GB Share Everything plan ( I used to use 5GB but bumped it up last month), and I get free hotspot from the native service. As I showed in my last post in that link, the 6GB Edge plan does NOT get hotspot at all.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Neither. It is the 6 GB plan being offered to switch off of unlimited. It is not shared data and it is not the Edge program.

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know how long it takes for your plan to change in Verizons system after an upgrade? I just upgraded yesterday at the store, guy told me he was putting me on a 2gig plan (he said I didn't qualify for the edge plan because any late payments automatically disqualify you from edge (even after you sign up for it))... I just tried mobile hotspot, and it said that I have to add the mobile hotspot to my plan. So I went into my verizon mobile, and it says I am still on Americas Choice II 450min Email &Data+N&W+IN Unlimited. The contract end date says 12/09/2015 though, so that was definately updated.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Maybe you should call VZW and ask about it? I am on the family share everything plan and Mobile hotspot is included.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't work under the 6 GB plan. My daughter and son-in-law both recently bought MotoX's and switched to the 6 GB plan. Lost the free hotspot (sigh). I am going to stick with the unlimited as long as I can and also I won't update my Maxx to KitKat unless someone finds a way to enable the free hotspot on KitKat.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't work under the 6 GB plan. My daughter and son-in-law both recently bought MotoX's and switched to the 6 GB plan. Lost the free hotspot (sigh). I am going to stick with the unlimited as long as I can and also I won't update my Maxx to KitKat unless someone finds a way to enable the free hotspot on KitKat.

If it is a share everything plan, the free hotspot comes with the package even if it is just 2 gbs. Are your daughter and son in law on a share plan?

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been wondering if the 6GB Max plan can use an entitlement check to get MHS working. I really don't want to pay full retail for a phone but I also don't want to give up my unlimited when I use 3 to 5 GB a month.