MAXX lacks respect?

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Curious of others opinion on why the Maxx seems to never get much love on the "Best of Android" phone lists.

Sure its (1) only on VZW, (2) has 4.2.2 still, (3) is larger and more money but I see the larger screen a plus which is of course a personal preference.

I have used 4.4 on an X and TBH I see nothing really different without Google Home installed which isn't by default.

I agonized for a few weeks over the X or Maxx and I wonder why since I think its a real no-brainer ... I mean if you want a phone to be fast and multimedia device don't you want extra screen?

Anyway just curious really since I've been asked a lot why I didn't get an X and I often wonder why would I?

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think it's mostly due to it being Verizon exclusive. Most of the "Best of" articles are made for one purpose: draw traffic to websites. There's less appeal if you spend a lot of time talking about something that isn't an option for many readers. Plus the Moto X got the bigger marketing push. But I agree - the X only has 3 advantages over the Maxx - price, customization, and ergonomics if you have smaller hands. Even with the small handful of phones that have come out since, I'd still happily buy the Maxx. If I hadn't been able to get the subsidized price and keep unlimited, then I'd probably prefer the Nexus 5 for the price, though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Curious of others opinion on why the Maxx seems to never get much love on the "Best of Android" phone lists.

Sure its (1) only on VZW, (2) has 4.2.2 still, (3) is larger and more money but I see the larger screen a plus which is of course a personal preference.

I have used 4.4 on an X and TBH I see nothing really different without Google Home installed which isn't by default.

I agonized for a few weeks over the X or Maxx and I wonder why since I think its a real no-brainer ... I mean if you want a phone to be fast and multimedia device don't you want extra screen?

Anyway just curious really since I've been asked a lot why I didn't get an X and I often wonder why would I?

The best Android phone you can buy | Android Central

Android Central gave it some love -

Verizon Motorola Droid Max​x

Droid MaxxThe Droid Maxx is essentially a Moto X with a giant battery and a larger screen, wrapped in a more industrial-looking design. And it's that gargantuan 3,500mAh battery that’s landed the Maxx an honorable mention, despite it only being available on one U.S. carrier.

If you’re on Verizon, the Maxx is definitely worth considering alongside the Moto X — it delivers much of what’s great about that device, with extended battery life to boot. (Of course it’s also worth considering that the Maxx still runs Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, whereas the the Verizon Moto X is right up to date on 4.4 KitKat.)

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a MAXX on Friday on Jerry's recommendation on last Friday's podcast. (Nerded out a bit when they read my email and responded...) Plus the post from above that they did mention it in the "Best Android phone you can buy" article yesterday. Two full days of battery with moderate use is unbelievable!

Jdalton1111

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
DROID Maxx is the best phone out no questions asked!
I waited for months for the Moto x to come out. Spent months studying all the new phones coming out. Tested all the phones, compared specs, and then found out that the DROID Maxx was everything plus more battery and a few small things that the Moto x was. The big issue with smartphones to me was battery life, so it was a no brainer! Quit waiting for Moto x and go with the best.... DROID Maxx!

apcman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I had tried the nexus 5 and it is so refreshing not having to monitor everything you do so you don't kill the battery by 2pm if I was lucky FYI. I was on a trip and I went from 7am to past midnight with over 40 percent left. This was with heavy usage. While the specs aren't killer I also don't have to neuter the phone by turning off GPS or Google now to maybe get through the day. The MAXX was a great choice and I don't regret it. I could change a few things but by and large it is one of the best devices out there.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
(1) only on VZW

I think it's mostly this, plus the legacy of the annoying past Droid branding by Verizon, the bloatware (thankfully limited on this phone), maybe the dumb Droid sounds, as silly as that sounds, and the initial sell price of $299. Lots of people will also downgrade for the 720p display and the older chipset, ignoring the fact that the first helps lead to better performance by the second.

It's a great, great phone, which has been promised good update support going forward. Anybody ignoring this phone for a Galaxy S4, HTC One, or LG G2 is missing out on a great choice, as good as those phones are.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I think it's mostly this, plus the legacy of the annoying past Droid branding by Verizon, the bloatware (thankfully limited on this phone), maybe the dumb Droid sounds, as silly as that sounds, and the initial sell price of $299. Lots of people will also downgrade for the 720p display and the older chipset, ignoring the fact that the first helps lead to better performance by the second.

It's a great, great phone, which has been promised good update support going forward. Anybody ignoring this phone for a Galaxy S4, HTC One, or LG G2 is missing out on a great choice, as good as those phones are.

Yeah I held out with my GNex waiting for something to get excited about and the Samsung UI just confuses me, the HTC One way confused me ... I had an original Droid X then X2 and GNex then ... While it gets some press as folks noted I think the points make sense ... The droid name is almost too old school now to attract folks ... And vzw is a bag I'm not opening on this thread :)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Most people think Droid = Android, as opposed to being something "special" on Verizon. It's branding that is hollow & rather pointless IMO. Especially since they have to pay royalties to even use the branding.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Most people think Droid = Android, as opposed to being something "special" on Verizon. It's branding that is hollow & rather pointless IMO. Especially since they have to pay royalties to even use the branding.

It was a very strong marketing message. If anyone (in the US) called their Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch a "DROID", Verizon did it's job.

Jdalton1111

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree. The DROID, Maxx, x, HD, etc... Has ran it's course, but Verizon accomplished everything it wanted to with that name. Next generation needs a new fresh name. I love my DROID Maxx though!

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If you love the phone like any Maxx owner does, why do you care if it gets "respect"?

Enjoy your phone and snicker at all the fools who pass up what is probably the best android device available today...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Want want want want a Maxx. I have to wait until March before I can upgrade on VZW. The only reason I might not upgrade to the Maxx would be if something even more awesome comes out before then.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
It has to be because it only on Verizon. The Moto x is number 1 on a lot of lists for November.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Funny, not that I really care so much about what other people think, but I was thinking about writing a similar post.

Obviously there are many subjective criteria for determining what to like about one phone over another, like form factor, screen size, various preferences, but objectively speaking, there are so many great features about the Maxx that I don't understand why it's not hyped up a bit more, especially with all this love surrounding the Moto X.

Minus the ability to customize your phone, ppi on the screen (which you'd have to be a hawk to notice) there is no feature on the X that is really superior to the Maxx. In fact, the Maxx is pretty much the same or better in every way I can imagine.

Love this phone...

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Love the Maxx and I have purchased and returned 4 phones (HTC One, Samsung S4, Note 3, and the Maxx) from Best Buy before concluding Maxx is the best phone.

1. I ride my motorcycle everyday (except when it is below 50'). I don't have the luxury of a charger on my bike so the battery life is TRULY appreciated.
2. Love the near stock Android on the phone and more importantly ... Everything is simply fast on the phone.
3. The look and feel are Stealthy Executive vs the flashy executive of the Note 3 IMO.

I don't think most reviewers intended to disrespect the Droid Maxx. They are simply following the money. The Moto X has the Google War Chest backing it ... So naturally, everyone wants a piece of the pie. Concordantly, while I agree the Maxx has superior capabilities, its hard to compete with the Moto X that works on VZW, Sprint, ATT, TMobile, etc.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Love the Maxx and I have purchased and returned 4 phones (HTC One, Samsung S4, Note 3, and the Maxx) from Best Buy before concluding Maxx is the best phone.

1. I ride my motorcycle everyday (except when it is below 50'). I don't have the luxury of a charger on my bike so the battery life is TRULY appreciated.
2. Love the near stock Android on the phone and more importantly ... Everything is simply fast on the phone.
3. The look and feel are Stealthy Executive vs the flashy executive of the Note 3 IMO.

I don't think most reviewers intended to disrespect the Droid Maxx. They are simply following the money. The Moto X has the Google War Chest backing it ... So naturally, everyone wants a piece of the pie. Concordantly, while I agree the Maxx has superior capabilities, its hard to compete with the Moto X that works on VZW, Sprint, ATT, TMobile, etc.

I've had my share of issues with the Maxx but nothing so severe that I would give up this phone. I've had thoughts due to notification glitches and Bluetooth static but in the end all day battery life no matter the usage holds me. Plus, what you said above also does. This is why I didn't rip on the device too much in my contribution to the "Ambassador Device Guide". All in all the phone isnt without issues but find me a piece of technology that is.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
It was a very strong marketing message. If anyone (in the US) called their Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch a "DROID", Verizon did it's job.

This is actually 100% wrong. If the general public thinks any Android phone is a "Droid" then Verizon has completely failed in their marketing. It means that people are walking into AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile and getting themselves a "Droid" Verizon has done nothing at all to make their Droid line seem special or better than any other Android device, which is why, IMHO the latest Droid lineup doesn't get much love even though they are phenomenal devices.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had my share of issues with the Maxx but nothing so severe that I would give up this phone. I've had thoughts due to notification glitches and Bluetooth static but in the end all day battery life no matter the usage holds me. Plus, what you said above also does. This is why I didn't rip on the device too much in my contribution to the "Ambassador Device Guide". All in all the phone isnt without issues but find me a piece of technology that is.

What have been your issues with the notifications? I've found the notifications, particularly the new Active Notification System as a whole, to work really without any problems, and I think it is one of the best features to land on any smartphone in some time.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781