Droid Maxx mms Group text vs. Galaxy S4 (native sms apps)

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
A friend of mine and I recently got into an argument over whose phone was the culprit related to issues with MMS Group texts.

My last 3 phones have been Motorola variants - Droid X, Bionic and now the Maxx, and I do not ever recall having problems with Group texting between other Android devices or iPhones.

My Droid Maxx works fine Group texting with everyone I know (receiving messages as a thread with the whole group in one window) except one member of the group who uses a Galaxy S4 on AT&T. He receives my messages individually, but when anybody else in the group sends him a text (all iPhones), he receives them correctly as part of the thread. This sucks because, he now has to respond to me separately from everyone else in the group.

My question is, whose phone is the one to blame?

I'm confident it's his because Samsung has notoriously had issues with Group texting in the past, always receiving all Group text as an individual text, but this seems to have recently been cured, so I really want to know whose phone is the culprit.

P. S. - everyone else in the group correctly receives Group messages from both of us as part of their respective threads.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Have your friend use the new Hangouts app instead of the Samsung messaging app. Hangouts will override the Samsung settings as default messaging.

Its really the manufacturer's fault as it is their software. Google updated hangouts removes those obstacles for unified messaging.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Have your friend use the new Hangouts app instead of the Samsung messaging app. Hangouts will override the Samsung settings as default messaging.

Its really the manufacturer's fault as it is their software. Google updated hangouts removes those obstacles for unified messaging.

I actually suggested that, but he thinks it's my phone and not his; and he is being stubborn.

Ultimately no matter whose phone it is, if Hangouts fixes the problem, it's pretty much irrelevant.

So in your estimation it's a Samsung problem, not Motorola or Android as a whole?

Weirdly, if you look up the Droid Maxx manual, it claims that it cannot do group texting. My friend dug it up online and tried to use it as evidence to show that it must be my phone:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/72011/action/auth

I sent him a screenshot of the sms app settings to show him that it has MMS Group settings within the app, so how is that possible?

Either way, not really a huge deal...

Thank you!

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Its essentially the way Samsung and moto handle their messaging apps. Moto is the closest to stock with modifications to allow group messaging.

Hangouts should fix it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Weirdly, if you look up the Droid Maxx manual, it claims that it cannot do group texting. My friend dug it up online and tried to use it as evidence to show that it must be my phone:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/72011/action/auth

Look closely - that's a Droid Razr Maxx manual, not a Droid Maxx manual.

Here's the page for the Droid Maxx: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...p/30,6720,8882/kw/group messaging/action/auth

Groups messaging is definitely mentioned there...

That said, I've seen people complaining about group messaging with iPhone recipients. I'm hoping that 4.4 and Hangouts makes this better (I won't use Hangouts until it works with drive assist to read messages.)

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Look closely - that's a Droid Razr Maxx manual, not a Droid Maxx manual.

Here's the page for the Droid Maxx: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...p/30,6720,8882/kw/group messaging/action/auth

Groups messaging is definitely mentioned there...

That said, I've seen people complaining about group messaging with iPhone recipients. I'm hoping that 4.4 and Hangouts makes this better (I won't use Hangouts until it works with drive assist to read messages.)

So the droid razr maxx couldn't do group text messaging but the Bionic could?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49