Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Default please excuse my ignorance galaxy s4 versus droid max

as of now im with tmobile lousy service
    cant get 4g lte im thinking of going to verizon
    i have to choose between gs4 or the droid max
    i surf web a lot min texting lots emails.
    ok give a small versions of pros versus negs if possible

thank you

Default Re: please excuse my ignorance galaxy s4 versus droid max

Pro for the Maxx would be the battery. My wife has the S4 and I have a Maxx I always outlast her with battery (way outlast) and I use my phone more than she does. As far as the email and texting that would probably be a wash they both can handle that with ease.
    Droid Maxx
    Running 4.4 Kit Kat

US Navy CPO Ret
    Thanked by:

Size

The two phones are nearly identical in size. The only significant difference is that the Droid Maxx is nine percent thicker than the svelte GS4.
    Weight

There are heavier phones than the Droid Maxx, but a featherweight it is not. It tips the scales at a full 28 percent heavier than the Galaxy S4.
    Build

The Droid Maxx sticks with the kevlar build that Motorola has been using for its Droid Razr line for the last couple of years. Here it's covering more of the phone than ever. (kevlar is a really strong and tough material)
    Display

Both displays give you the same spacious 5-inch layout, but the Galaxy S4 is much sharper. The Droid Maxx's 294 pixels per inch should make for a pretty sharp screen, but that's still a fairly low number for a high-end 2013 Smartphone.
    Processor

The Motorola X8 is the branding for the system-on-a-chip in the new Droid phones, but the processor is (according to Ars Technica) a slight variation of a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro, which was featured in several high-end handsets in late 2012.
    Who Won

So the GS4 wins this round. But let's keep this in perspective: both phones blow away the fastest phones from just a couple of years ago, and will be plenty fast for most users.
    If I helped hit that thanks button
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Zenick View Post
    Size

The two phones are nearly identical in size. The only significant difference is that the Droid Maxx is nine percent thicker than the svelte GS4.
    Weight

There are heavier phones than the Droid Maxx, but a featherweight it is not. It tips the scales at a full 28 percent heavier than the Galaxy S4.
    Build

The Droid Maxx sticks with the kevlar build that Motorola has been using for its Droid Razr line for the last couple of years. Here it's covering more of the phone than ever. (kevlar is a really strong and tough material)
    Display

Both displays give you the same spacious 5-inch layout, but the Galaxy S4 is much sharper. The Droid Maxx's 294 pixels per inch should make for a pretty sharp screen, but that's still a fairly low number for a high-end 2013 Smartphone.
    Processor

The Motorola X8 is the branding for the system-on-a-chip in the new Droid phones, but the processor is (according to Ars Technica) a slight variation of a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro, which was featured in several high-end handsets in late 2012.
    Who Won

So the GS4 wins this round. But let's keep this in perspective: both phones blow away the fastest phones from just a couple of years ago, and will be plenty fast for most users.
    I'm sorry, but I can't agree with a lot of this. First of all people have reported being either not able to tell the difference in the resolutions of the screens, or even that the Maxx screen looks better in spite of the higher res on the GS4. So go look at them yourself if this is an issue. Review after review says the Maxx has an excellent screen (and I agree).

The GS4 may have a better benchmarking processor, but few people notice any kind of issues with the Maxx's processing power. It's fast and smooth. Beyond that, it's smart, so you benefit from the "always listening" features, among others. The Maxx also has less to process, since it's closer to stock Android. It's like if a car has an extra 50 hp, but weighs an extra 500lbs. It's questionable if it will be faster.

IMO, the real life user experience of the Maxx beats the GS4. Between never having to think about your battery, to the wonderfully useful always listening features, to the just overall fast & smooth experience, it's excellent. I think the GS4 can be had cheaper, so if I were to get it, that would be why.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    I'm sorry, but I can't agree with a lot of this. First of all people have reported being either not able to tell the difference in the resolutions of the screens, or even that the Maxx screen looks better in spite of the higher res on the GS4. So go look at them yourself if this is an issue. Review after review says the Maxx has an excellent screen (and I agree).

The GS4 may have a better benchmarking processor, but few people notice any kind of issues with the Maxx's processing power. It's fast and smooth. Beyond that, it's smart, so you benefit from the "always listening" features, among others. The Maxx also has less to process, since it's closer to stock Android. It's like if a car has an extra 50 hp, but weighs an extra 500lbs. It's questionable if it will be faster.

IMO, the real life user experience of the Maxx beats the GS4. Between never having to think about your battery, to the wonderfully useful always listening features, to the just overall fast & smooth experience, it's excellent. I think the GS4 can be had cheaper, so if I were to get it, that would be why.
    what i wrote was just based off of statistics that the two had lited
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,077 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post

To add to this, there are still reports of lag on the S4. Not to be found on the Maxx. And the screen on the Maxx is just as good to the average user.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    To add to this, there are still reports of lag on the S4. Not to be found on the Maxx. And the screen on the Maxx is just as good to the average user.
    I would recommend the Maxx based on battery life alone. My few friends with an S4 constantly complain Bout battery life so if you're a heavy user avoid the S4.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Size

Weight

Build

Display

Processor

Who Won

People really are overselling the virtures of the kevlar implemented on this phone.

Quote Originally Posted by socarwolverine View Post
    People really are overselling the virtures of the kevlar implemented on this phone.
    The Kevlar is for nothing more than looks and to allow a better looking non removable back cover. Its durability is great for normal use but it won't do a thing when you drop your phone. It seems as if many think it makes the phone indestructible but what are you doing to your phone? I have real Kevlar gloves made by Galls but those aren't indestructible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    The Kevlar is for nothing more than looks and to allow a better looking non removable back cover. Its durability is great for normal use but it won't do a thing when you drop your phone. It seems as if many think it makes the phone indestructible but what are you doing to your phone? I have real Kevlar gloves made by Galls but those aren't indestructible.

EXACTLY! People who think the kevlar on this phone is magic that makes it nearly indestructable don't understand physics or how kevlar works.

EXACTLY! People who think the kevlar on this phone is magic that makes it nearly indestructable don't understand physics or how kevlar works.
    Kevlar vests will stop bullets by spreading out the impact through multiple layers of fibers. This same vest won't stop a knife.

What's Kevlar, DuPont Kevlar on a phone supposed to do? Put a case on the phone. Lol

that is because kevlar is used in bullet proof vests and it can take a bullet from a m9 to a small assult rifle such as the M4 Carbine

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I would get the Maxx. Having a battery like this changes how you use a phone. You can leave everything on and not kill the battery. The phone is very smooth so I would not worry about the specs. I was focused on specs but I don't do anything that is so draining where the phone sputters. What is the point of having a great device is you have to kill all the services to get through the day.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

Forget specs, they just don't matter 10 minutes after you own the phone. Except for this battery, which is truly a game changer.

What does matter? The new interfaces: Touchless, Active, Camera, etc. These are also game changers. When driving, I nearly just talk to my phone. Camera is the quickest out now, just a flip of the wrist, hit the screen and you've got it! To just touch the phone and have the time pop up...way cool. And Moto still has the best radios...so you don't drop calls.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Processor

This processor is severely underrated. True its an S4 processor, but its an S4 processor at its maximum potential with 4 more cores dedicated graphics and 2 more cores for listening. Bench mark scores are skewed because of that.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1
    Thanked by:

that is because kevlar is used in bullet proof vests and it can take a bullet from a m9 to a small assult rifle such as the M4 Carbine
    Yep, but that means nothing on a cell phone. It's all marketing speak, it looks good and makes for a nice buzzword when talking about the features, but it adds no level of durability to the phone.
    Thanked by:

Yep, but that means nothing on a cell phone. It's all marketing speak, it looks good and makes for a nice buzzword when talking about the features, but it adds no level of durability to the phone.
    I wonder.....If I had my Maxx in my shirt pocket and took a bullet from a bad guy in THAT shirt pocket.....ehhhh never mind. LOL.
    Droid Maxx
    Running 4.4 Kit Kat

US Navy CPO Ret
    Thanked by:

Honestly, durability matters mainly in 2 areas on phones: finish and glass. The kevlar does seem to hold up well as a finish, which helps appearance, but it's not really a real-world advantage over a plastic housing, except for feeling and looking nicer. The real thing that needs every bit of durability advantage on a phone is the glass, and while we have gorilla glass, it doesn't make the phone massively more resistant to breakage than most other phones. And I wouldn't count on it stopping a bullet, though I may be a hair more hopeful than with a plastic bodied phone. lol
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

no matter which phone i will get a case

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Lovin' My Phone

One word from me: BATTERY
    ~Janet~
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Well I had an S4 and now have a MAXX, so I will weigh in on this. First I will say they are both real good phones. The S4 has lots of nice features like the sensor that lets you do things with out actually touching the phone and the ir remote control, but if you run these nice features they eat the battery alive, and for the most part they are gimmicky features anyhow that just seem cool but don't usually get used in everyday life. The differences in the screen resolution to me at least don't seem to be very noticeable in this size screen. The camera is slightly better on the s4 and does have a lot of nice features including the anti shake to help take clear pictures. The MAXX is slightly heavier but personally I like that as I always felt the s4 was to light and therefore felt like a toy. The build quality on the MAXX is better in that it feels better in your hand I doubt that either one is actually any more durable then the other. The very close to stock version of android on the MAXX is very nice since it means there isn't much need for messing with it to make it work the way it should have all along. So over all I personally feel the MAXX is the better phone, for that matter of all the phones I've owned so far this is my favorite of all time.
    Thanked by 2:

If you simply look at the specs then the S4 wins, but Motorola has made an incredible phone that far exceeds the sum of its specs.The phone is optimized to get far more out of it than you would just by throwing raw power at it.
    As for surfing the web, the Maxx scrolls through any page you want to throw at it, no matter how intensive, without anything resembling lag, I can't say the same about the S4. Some people prefer the S4's screen, some prefer the Maxx's screen. You really need to look at them both to decide which looks better to you.
    With texting, on the Maxx you can send a text without ever touching the phone. If you're not doing many texts that may not matter, but once you use the Touchless controls to do that, you may never go back to typing a text again.
    If you care about having a microsd card, the S4 has a slot for one but the Maxx doesn't. The s4 also has a removable back so you can sawp out the battery if you want, but with the Maxx's ridiculously long battery life, that's not even an issue on the Maxx.
    In my opinion the Maxx is the superior phone overall and I would pick it every time over the S4.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    Thanked by 2:
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Thank you all

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Going to throw my opinion in here really quick, since I came from the S4 to the Maxx.

I really wanted to love the S4, and part of me did, but the #1 reason I swapped to the Maxx is because of Motorola's radios. I felt like I never had signal on the S4,and I'm in a "high coverage area". By the end of my 8 hour workday, if be lucky to have 5% battery remaining, even if the phone sat in my pocket all day. My cell standby battery usage was always over 50%. I never had signal at work. So the phone would eat up the battery just looking for a signal. I didn't only have signal problems at work, either. Whether home or at work, I would miss calls, text messages, drop calls, etc. Super frustrating to have a beast of a phone, but not be able to use it as a phone. The Maxx gets awesome reception everywhere I've been so far. The highest I've ever seen Cell standby usage at was 5%.

As far as the screen goes, I didn't notice a huge difference. I see the difference between the 1080 and 720 when someone magnifies the image online, but other than that, my eyes cross if I try to get that close to the phone screen

To get away from the S4, I ended up buying the Maxx off conttact, which is something I've never done before (I'm a cheap skate), and I haven't regretted my decision a bit. It's an amazing thing to not have to worry about my battery 4 hours into my day. I love the screen. It's a great size and it looks really sharp to me.

In the end though, it all comes down to what you prefer. As others said, go look at them both in store and see what you think of each one. In all honesty though, the only thing I miss from the S4 isn't the camera or the screen; it's the remote control feature.
    :rolleyes:

There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.
    Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

well my contracts over jan 14 ill be getting the max
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast