Do I need a case and/or Screen protector for my NEW MAXX?

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello ALL:

I just got a new MAXX Wednesday and wonder if I need a CASE for it? If so, any good suggestions?
What about Screen Protectors. I thought the glass was strong, but any suggestions about this as well?

Thank you.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Both come down to personal preference, IMO. Are you rough on phones or do you work in a rough environment (construction, fire fighting, etc.)? Do you carry your phone in your pocket or in a purse or bag with keys, coins, etc.? Are you somewhat clumsy?

I use both a case and a screen protector, but that suits me, because my work takes me outdoors and into industrial facilities.

If your phone is carried with stuff that can scratch the screen or case (coins/keys) you may want both.

I look at it this way: My phone cost more at full retail than any of the last three laptop computers I purchased, and I didn't buy low-spec computers. My phone gets handled and used more often and in more precarious places than my laptop. Unless the phone itself was fully ruggedized (IP 68/Mil. Std. 810) I want some extra protection for it.

But again, that suits me and my usage case. Your mileage WILL vary.

Posted from my XT1080M

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I personally use a case, but not a screen protector. Everyone will have their own preference. I'm still iffy about the case, because my past 2 phones have remained in nearly perfect shape after 2 years of use each, but the edge-to-edge glass on this one made me nervous, so I picked up the diztronic, which is a nice case. Who knows, I might ditch the case & go naked again sometime. I'm not personally concerned about micro-scratches that I'd have to look for to find, since protecting against them essentially means either putting up with a crap screen protector that ruins the feel (IMO), or shelling out quite a bit of money for a nice screen protector that likely won't last the life of the phone. On my previous 2 phones (both with gorilla glass - OG Droid & Droid Razr), I only had a couple small noticeable (without looking intensely) scratches on the Razr, and that was from my phone falling out of my pocket and wedging into a recliner's mechanism & going on several rides. Even those I barely noticed.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Use both. Diztronic case with iSmooth protectors. Gorilla Glass will scratch even if its left in its own pocket. It takes one grain of pocket sand and you'll regret it. Remember its scratch resistant, not proof.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I really like the Verizon bumper cases. They protect the edges and corners, and create a little ridge around the screen to protect the glass, but the carbon fiber back still shows through. My girlfriend has the bumper on her Mini and is very happy with it, too.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I do not like screen protectors at all but I use them. I like cases when they are small, even though I like the feel of the phone without a case. I use both. :(

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I use Bodyguardz screen protectors (I've used a lot of brands on phones over the years and theirs are the best feel) and their carbon fiber skin for the back (i use the red one). I like its texture and how it slips in and out of my pocket.

Don't like cases.

tyd450

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I also like the bumper case from vzw for the maxx because it is open on the back and let's you feel the Kevlar. I've owned diztronic cases in the past though and those are nice (and cheap).

Posted via Android Central App

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Went naked for the first 3 days until my Maxx dropped out of my pocket, fell 2' to a concrete floor and cracked the glass all the way across and chipped the hell out of both edges of the glass.
Plenty of other posts about similar things happening. Like Unobtanium said if your rough on phones in the least, get yourself a case. Id like to add if you dont have insurance on the phone get a BIG case or get insurance. I went with the Diztronic initially but it does very little to protect the glass. I ended up with Otterbox Defender and have no regrets. Yeah it adds some bulk to the phone but you get used to it. Maybe try the Incipio that Janet has and see how you like it.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Been naked since the day I bought it in august

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Been naked since the day I bought it in august

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Its a gamble that's for sure but some succeed without it. I can go without damaging my phone but the screen will scratch no matter what in my experience. I keep my pockets empty and my Note II screen scratched.

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Use both. Diztronic case with iSmooth protectors. Gorilla Glass will scratch even if its left in its own pocket. It takes one grain of pocket sand and you'll regret it. Remember its scratch resistant, not proof.

Thanks for your reply. I have 3 questions for you:
  1. If the iSmooth screen protector is so good that it has a Lifetime guarantee, why are there 3 in the package?
  2. I checked out the Diztronic case & I like it, but wonder if the silicone makes it stick to every pocket you try to slip it into. I like using a very small camera case hooked to my belt loop for convenience and wonder if the Ditztronic would be difficult to slip in & out?
  3. What is Tapatalk?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz