1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default No bluetooth from Hangouts?

I converted to using Hangouts for SMS messaging, since it seems that is the direction we are headed anyway. I used to use the built-in messaging app, and I was able to retrieve text messages via bluetooth when paired with my Truck using Ford SYNC and it would convert the text message to audio and read it to me.

Anyone aware of any plans to enable this in Hangouts? Or is it already there, and I just dont know how to activate it?

Thanks, Dave

Default Re: No bluetooth from Hangouts?

Motorola has been updating apps like assist in the play store, so maybe this will be a change. It's also possible/probable that the KitKat update, which allows the user to choose the default SMS messaging app in global settings, will have this when it comes. I haven't been paying attention to the Moto X forums to see if reading from Hangouts as the default SMS app is part of the update. I guess we will see.

As far as right now, I believe that the stock messaging app must be used for the assist app to read messages out loud in drive assist mode.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Motorola has been updating apps like assist in the play store, so maybe this will be a change. It's also possible/probable that the KitKat update, which allows the user to choose the default SMS messaging app in global settings, will have this when it comes. I haven't been paying attention to the Moto X forums to see if reading from Hangouts as the default SMS app is part of the update. I guess we will see.

As far as right now, I believe that the stock messaging app must be used for the assist app to read messages out loud in drive assist mode.
    thanks doogald. I wasnt speaking about the assist app, but maybe thats the same issue. I drive a Ford Truck that has the bluetooth Microsoft SYNC feature which allows to make/take phone calls hands free. With the stock messaging app, i get the text notification through my Trucks soundsystem, and I can press a button on my steering wheel and I say "Read Text Message", and Ford SYNC will read the content of the text message ovdr the Trucks sound system.

Well, we'll see what happens. KitKat definitely has that change about allowing a user-chosen default messaging app. Maybe Ford/Microsoft will have to make a change to support that though? Is there such a thing as a firmware update for Ford Sync?