Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lacubsfan
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default Upgrade or not? Need help deciding

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions about the Maxx that I'm hoping some people can answer.

1) How's the phone without the SD card? Personally I hate this move - but I figure I can just transfer my stuff over.
    2) Does the phone offer mass storage mode when connecting to a computer? Or does it have that stupid MTP that resets the dates on all your files?
    3) I have the Razr Maxx HD now - is the Maxx a lot faster?
    4) Rooting/entitlement hack - Possible on the Maxx? Or does it require a ton of extra hoops?

Thanks!
    ronohio likes this.

Default Re: Upgrade or not? Need help deciding

Quote Originally Posted by lacubsfan View Post
    Hey everyone,

1) How's the phone without the SD card? Personally I hate this move - but I figure I can just transfer my stuff over.
    2) Does the phone offer mass storage mode when connecting to a computer? Or does it have that stupid MTP that resets the dates on all your files?
    4) Rooting/entitlement hack - Possible on the Maxx? Or does it require a ton of extra hoops?

Thanks!
    1) I don't miss the micro SD card. I've got 16.5gb of my 32gb free on the Maxx. Then again, I'm not trying to store my whole music collection or a bunch of movies on it. I stream almost everything, and just pin a bunch of albums in Play Music for offline access. I could see it being a problem for someone who just has to have their whole large music/movie collection with them. You just gotta look at how much stuff you really want with you & can't depend on accessing via the cloud.

4) Worked fine for me. Not sure what all it takes since the last update that apparently broke the root method I used.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Lovin' My Phone

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
    I had a hard time with the idea of not having an SD card because I have about 32 gbs of music, but I got over it. I downsized my music collection for my phone and I am doing fine.
    ~Janet~
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

When you put your music on the phone, did it reset the dates so that it looks like all your music was downloaded on the same day? I'm mostly concerned because I have 5-6 gigs worth of pics that I don't want to put on cloud - but I had a hell of time putting them on the Maxx HD that I have because google did away with Mass Storage
    Lovin' My Phone

When you put your music on the phone, did it reset the dates so that it looks like all your music was downloaded on the same day? I'm mostly concerned because I have 5-6 gigs worth of pics that I don't want to put on cloud - but I had a hell of time putting them on the Maxx HD that I have because google did away with Mass Storage
    That I don't know.
    ~Janet~

I have a Droid Mini, but it's pretty much the same as the Maxx outside of the battery and screen. Not sure about music, but when I transferred pictures and videos through the Motorola Migrate app, the file dates reset to the date of file transfer and also put them slightly out of order.

Annoying, but the new Droid line's quality makes it fairly easy to ignore.

Posted via Android Central App and Droid Mini

It does connect in media storage mode. Upon first connection it wants you to download and install an app on your desktop, then it connects like any other USB device.

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX

Hows the camera? I had the maxx hd and the camera was horrible imo. All my photos came out blurry..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I had the HD the maxx is way smoother and the touch less controls and active notifications make it an easy upgrade decision.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by diegoesk View Post
    Hows the camera? I had the maxx hd and the camera was horrible imo. All my photos came out blurry..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Camera was terribly inconsistent on launch. An OTA update that severed the camera software from the OS fixed it with 2 updates from the Play store. All future camera updates will be handled that way, a la Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App and Droid Mini
    Last edited by RexMaximus; 12-19-2013 at 09:37 AM.
    Lovin' My Phone

Plus, Verizon announced today that KitKat would be starting to push out this morning. Even more of a reason to upgrade!
    ~Janet~