Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Android KitKat 4.4 breaks the Entitlement Check hack

The upcoming 4.4 KitKat update breaks the "Entitlement Check" hack - I just upgraded and now my tethering does not work

(This is for grandfathered unlimited plans only - Share Everything plans have tethering included with the plan)

Default Re: Android KitKat 4.4 breaks the Entitlement Check hack

I can verify this.. Anyone know if the Moto X Root Method works for the Droid Maxx? I really don't want to test my daily driver..

ROM
    Something Jelly

This is really disappointing. Looks like I'll have to get root back and do it over again.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

I can confirm though.. PDANet does work through USB but not Bluetooth or WiFi.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information - even though it's not what I wanted to hear.

I'm pretty sure the Moto X owners reported that the entitlement hack was preserved when their phones were upgraded to Kit Kat - I just assumed the same would be true for the Droid phones.

yea, I threw caution into the wind and lost. I'm hoping to hear soon that jcase's Moto X Kit Kat Root method works for the Droid Ultra/Maxx...

Global Posts
    705 Global Posts

foxfi no longer works either. is this just something foxfi needs to do/update or is it really blocked by the 4.4 software?
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Thank you for the information, I guess I'll be sticking with 4.2 for awhile yet.
    I was under the impression that the entitlement hack is different on the Moto X (I think they refer to it differently too).

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Sweeney View Post
    yea, I threw caution into the wind and lost. I'm hoping to hear soon that jcase's Moto X Kit Kat Root method works for the Droid Ultra/Maxx...
    Yeah me too. Unfortunately I need it this week more than ever being in the middle of no where!

Sent from my DROID MAXX

I can say that if you want to spend the little bit of money, USB Tether through PDANet works without the entitlement check hack on 4.4.

I can say that if you want to spend the little bit of money, USB Tether through PDANet works without the entitlement check hack on 4.4.
    I'd like to connect multiple devices, if I bought the PDA net and connected a USB cable, could I connect this to a router or hotspot to get the other devices connected wirelessly?

Sent from my DROID MAXX

Unfortunately, not that I know of. I am in the same boat though, with 2 tablets, 2 gaming systems, 3 computers and the Dish Hopper who all want a broadband connection... the usb just isn't doing what I need it to do, but at least it's keeping me online and up to date with the forums..

Unfortunately, not that I know of. I am in the same boat though, with 2 tablets, 2 gaming systems, 3 computers and the Dish Hopper who all want a broadband connection... the usb just isn't doing what I need it to do, but at least it's keeping me online and up to date with the forums..
    Yeah man several members of the fam were counting on my hotspot. The moto radios do better out in the country where we are.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

Quote Originally Posted by phathands View Post
    Yeah man several members of the fam were counting on my hotspot. The moto radios do better out in the country where we are.

Sent from my DROID MAXX
    Yea, I can understand that. I actually live out in the country also. My only access to broadband internet is through Verizon or Satellite internet. No cable, or FIOS, or anything like that... I was ecstatic when LTE came out here.

1. Does the MotoRoot software still work with 4.4? I have it installed already.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by comptech520 View Post

Thanks!
    I am pretty sure there are currently no root methods for the Ultra/Maxx once you are on KitKat. I have been watching all of the forums and they are all saying the same thing. JCase is working on it, but not to expect anything around the holidays..

Quote Originally Posted by comptech520 View Post

Thanks!
    Let me confirm that this is a no. I threw caution to the wind and tried as I too had it installed. Reboots but no root access.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

Post 4.4 OTA ----> Droid Maxx Entitlement Hack is BACK!!

First of all Kudos go to Topsnake.. I just stumbled across his post and am giving you a redirect ...

Go Here :

[MOD][ROOT]Native Tether for Kit Kat 19.5.3 - xda-developers

And follow his instructions carefully.

I am rooted and on 4.4 KitKat with droid Maxx. Original entitlement hack was working great with 4.2. Along came 4.4 so I rooted via xda-developers - View Single Post - [4.4 ROOT] SlapMyMoto 1.0 (Requires you to be on 4.2.2)
    Upgraded to 4.4, regained root, and tried the entitlement hack and totally crapped my pants when I tried to do entitlement hack and found it was broke. So I browsed site after site.. just KNOWING someone had found SOMETHING .. I gotta have my WIFI hotspot!!! And Lo and behold, I found this little gem. All is well once again in Droid Land.
    Thanked by 2:

Just to clarify, you need to be rooted for this. To be rooted on Kit Kat you need to do it while still on 4.2.2. If you update to stock Kit Kat, you currently cannot get root and cannot use this hack.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji25 View Post

First of all Kudos go to Topsnake.. I just stumbled across his post and am giving you a redirect ...

Go Here :

I am rooted and on 4.4 KitKat with droid Maxx. Original entitlement hack was working great with 4.2. Along came 4.4 so I rooted via xda-developers - View Single Post - [4.4 ROOT] SlapMyMoto 1.0 (Requires you to be on 4.2.2)
    Upgraded to 4.4, regained root, and tried the entitlement hack and totally crapped my pants when I tried to do entitlement hack and found it was broke. So I browsed site after site.. just KNOWING someone had found SOMETHING .. I gotta have my WIFI hotspot!!! And Lo and behold, I found this little gem. All is well once again in Droid Land.
    Thanked by 2:
    doogald likes this.

This worked for me KitKat on rooted Maxx

SQ Editor and search for app "Settings Storage".

settings storage / settings.db / secure / entitlement check

select edit from top
    and change value from 1 to 0
    and save

Use the Tethering & Mobile Hotspot App that came with the Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji25 View Post

Go Here :

The second link here isn't at all clear. What exactly do I need to do if I am on 4.2.2 on a brand new MAXX? He talks about MotoWPNoMo and RockMyMoto. What are those for? Is that to get a non-MAXX phone back to 4.2.2 or do I still need to do something with them on my phone?

The post by him is very confusing.

motowpnomo permantly disables write protection so you can write to the system rockmymoto roots the phone.
    Thanked by:

I used topsnakes method and it works great but if you want something even easier use xposed there is a module that disables the entitlement check without having to manually change any system apps. Of course you have to have exposed installed and be rooted. This only works on 4.4 the old entitlement hack of change the 1 to a 0 doesn't work on 4.4 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bigv5150 View Post
    motowpnomo permantly disables write protection so you can write to the system rockmymoto roots the phone.
    So I need to do both before I upgrade to KitKat?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman333 View Post
    So I need to do both before I upgrade to KitKat?

Yes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast