Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Apps that don't work (or don't work right) on Kit Kat

For those that are pondering the switch I'd like to start a thread so people can see which apps work and don't work (or kind of work). I'll try to update this thread when others post issues.

Updated: 14JAN2014

Launchers:

Apex Launcher: Pushing home key acts like a double tap. Disable the home key action to fix it.

Nova Launcher: Pushing home key acts like a double tap. Disable the home key action to fix it. (skatergirl)

Apps

Chomp SMS: Can send txts with it, but it wont show the txt i sent or the txt responses I get back (Billy Sweeney)

EasyTether: See FoxFi.

Fancy Widgets: Selecting the forecast on the widget opens the full weather app but now it's overlaying my default screen. Also, pressing the hour on the clock no longer opens the alarm app. (Lyle J)

FoxFi: No more wifi tethering. They say that it will not work with Kit Kat. This may change in the future if they figure out a way to make it work. You must use bluetooth or USB tethering.

Go SMS: showing my sent texts twice, but recipient correctly gets only one (pappy53)

GSam Battery Monitor: Doesn't Work (pappy53)

Hancent: Can send txts with it, but it wont show the txt i sent or the txt responses I get back. Double sends texts.(skatergirl) UPDATE: App updated

Rainy Days: Double tap zoom doesn't work (lmdroid)
    Last edited by phissure; 01-14-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Thanked by 4:
    roscko and skatergirl like this.
    Lovin' My Phone

Default Re: Apps that don't work (or don't work right) on Kit Kat

Good idea for a post!
    ~Janet~

Wakelock Detector and gsam battery monitor didn't work on moto x with kit kat. I assume they won't work on the maxx (not that you'll need them).

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

actually handcent works... just messages are all dated december 31, 1969 and it will reorder your messages with mms showing up as persistently the newest thing you've received. switched to go sms for now, which is working well.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Global Posts
    2,077 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

GSam Battery Monitor doesn't work. Go SMS is showing my sent texts twice, but recipient correctly gets only one.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Whatsapp...

If u switch to ART.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1
    roscko likes this.

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by ulnek View Post
    actually handcent works... just messages are all dated december 31, 1969 and it will reorder your messages with mms showing up as persistently the newest thing you've received. switched to go sms for now, which is working well.
    Same on mine for Handcent. Grrr. Only workaround I found is to delete all the picture messages, but that is tedious at best and shouldn't be necessary.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.

Global Posts
    10,017 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 3.0 Sense

It will just take a little time for the developers to update the apps.

Double tap zoom doesn't work on Rainy Days app.
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by DefectiveWeeble View Post
    Same on mine for Handcent. Grrr. Only workaround I found is to delete all the picture messages, but that is tedious at best and shouldn't be necessary.

I am emailing back and forth with the Handcent developers. Hopefully they figure it out. I like the Handcent features and don't want to be stuck with Hangouts. I also don't want to delete all my threads in Handcent just so I can find all my new messages.

Posted via Android Central App
    ~Janet~

Has anyone tried Textra? Does it have the same issues as Handcent or Chomp SMS? (I don't have KK yet... )

That's the app I use for texting - clean look (including a dark theme) and very fast. Not as many customization options as the others, but looks good out of the box. The stock SMS app is one of the few disappointments on this phone.

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    I am emailing back and forth with the Handcent developers. Hopefully they figure it out. I like the Handcent features and don't want to be stuck with Hangouts. I also don't want to delete all my threads in Handcent just so I can find all my new messages.

Posted via Android Central App
    Awesome. Hopefully they get it fixed fast. I'd much rather be using handcent. Add of right now I'm using Textra. It's alright, but I miss the customization of handcent. Textra isn't having the issues though.

There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.
    Thanked by:
    skatergirl likes this.

FWIW, the stock text messaging app from 4.2.2 is still around. Hangouts is just an option.
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    FWIW, the stock text messaging app from 4.2.2 is still around. Hangouts is just an option.
    My problem is I like the customization that comes with Handcent.
    ~Janet~

My problem is I like the customization that comes with Handcent.
    Right. I was just responding to your "don't want to be stuck with Hangouts" comment...

Quote Originally Posted by phissure View Post
    For those that are pondering the switch I'd like to start a thread so people can see which apps work and don't work (or kind of work). I'll try to update this thread when others post issues.

Launchers:

Apex Launcher: Pushing home key acts like a double tap. Disable the home key action to fix it.

Nova Launcher: Pushing home key acts like a double tap. Disable the home key action to fix it. (skatergirl)

Apps

Chomp SMS: Can send txts with it, but it wont show the txt i sent or the txt responses I get back (Billy Sweeney)

FoxFi: No more tethering

Go SMS: showing my sent texts twice, but recipient correctly gets only one (pappy53)

GSam Battery Monitor: Doesn't Work (pappy53)

Hancent: Can send txts with it, but it wont show the txt i sent or the txt responses I get back (skatergirl)

Rainy Days: Double tap zoom doesn't work (lmdroid)
    Good thread idea.

Broke native tethering for those us who did the moto root method.

Broke motoroot (for those of us who never uninstalled it). It had continued working after the last update.

Need dat tethering back asap (ideally for free).

Sent from my DROID MAXX
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by AustinAggie View Post
    Has anyone tried Textra? Does it have the same issues as Handcent or Chomp SMS? (I don't have KK yet... )

That's the app I use for texting - clean look (including a dark theme) and very fast. Not as many customization options as the others, but looks good out of the box. The stock SMS app is one of the few disappointments on this phone.
    I just stated using Textra. It doesn't have all that Handcent has, but it is much better than Hangouts.
    ~Janet~
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,041 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ulnek View Post
    YES!!! Its very annoying! Hope they get that taken care of. Wasn't sure why that was suddenly happening until I figured it was KK. Glad to hear its been reported to Handcent.

Car Home Ultra was uninstalled somehow, and GSA battery has a fix, but it requires root.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClintRo View Post
    It will just take a little time for the developers to update the apps.
    Not necessarily:

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

Anybody try an Airplane widget for on/off?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I received a beta version of the handcent app from the developers that should fix some of the problems. I am sharing it on my Google drive acct
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by phissure View Post
    I received a beta version of the handcent app from the developers that should fix some of the problems. I am sharing it on my Google drive acct
    Awesome. I'm glad the devs are working to get it resolved for us. Let us know how it works out for you, if you don't mind! In the meantime I've been using Textra, which is pretty nice, but I still want to go back to Handcent.

My ten year old used handcent. Isn't that for kids?

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Handcent is for texting

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast