Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts

Default Re: Tracking kitkat:

Quote Originally Posted by nocaldawg View Post
    What is the risk in doing this?
    Nothing really. Of course I am not rooted so if you are rooted you may want to do extra research. But if you aren't rooted then this updates your OS with no issues at all. I did it tonight and it is working like a charm.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
    Any way to download this without giving someone my credit card info? Anyone have another link?

Thanks...

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/ Franco Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Cow View Post
    That link works in guiding you to the download file. Below are the base instructions swiped from the above link that I modified to make it smoother, because if you miss something obvious, you'll be wondering what is wrong.

1) download file to PC
    2) extract zip file to your desktop.
    3) once extracted, locate the Blur_Version.12.15.15.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US zip file
    4) hook your phone to your PC and create a folder called "sdcard"
    5) move Blur_Version.12.15.15.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US zip file into the "sdcard" folder.
    6) rename this zip file "update.zip" (this step is probably optional, but just go with it.)
    7) reboot phone in recovery mode (power off phone, hold VOLDN + PWR keys for a few seconds, release, select recovery)
    8) wait for the green robot to show up with red triangle "!"
    9) hold VOLUP and press PWR
    10) select boot from SDcard, then navigate to the "update.zip" file and select it
    11) phone reboots like nothing happened. This is OK.
    12) repeat steps 8 through 10 (text on screen will be bigger this time around.)
    13) reboot again when prompted and KitKat is installed.

Upon booting up a KitKatted MAXX for the first time, you'll likely be prompted to go to Google Play and update some apps. For me that included Touchless Control and Motorola Connect.
    Dude I've been waiting for these instructions! Thank you! I've done this with Nexus devises and didn't know you could do the same with others. Ironically I feel a little chicken to do it now, can this go wrong? Also you used to have to put the update on the root of the SD card, but with this set up you're saying to create a folder called "sdcard"? Is that the same thing?

Posted via Android Central App

If we are rooted on 4.2.2 w/ pwnmymoto how can we update and have root?

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dhawk1202 View Post
    Dude I've been waiting for these instructions! Thank you! I've done this with Nexus devises and didn't know you could do the same with others. Ironically I feel a little chicken to do it now, can this go wrong? Also you used to have to put the update on the root of the SD card, but with this set up you're saying to create a folder called "sdcard"? Is that the same thing?

Did it work?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/ Franco Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by nocaldawg View Post
    Did it work?

Yes it did! Awesome! Easy peasy! Follow the instructions and done! Thanks moo cow!

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts

That is probably optional too but I just did it anyway. Mainly cause it was easier for me to find and delete once the update is done as I no longer needed the file.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tcmeiss View Post
    Any way to download this without giving someone my credit card info? Anyone have another link?

Thanks...
    Did you click on the wrong link? I didn't have to give any of that info. (Nor would I, but anyways...) Maybe re-check what you click on?

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

How big is the blur file (update.zip) ? Just want to make sure everything is right before I do this. The one I have is 503 mb's.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Cow View Post
    Did you click on the wrong link? I didn't have to give any of that info. (Nor would I, but anyways...) Maybe re-check what you click on?
    Pretty sure I did. When I click on the link from XDA, it takes me to another page with 3 other links that say download. I tried all 3. None worked. Could've been the proxy server at work messing things up. Have to try it at home when I have a chance.

EDIT: Looks like it was the proxy at work. Started the download at home with no issue...

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    Last edited by tcmeiss; 12-27-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/ Franco Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by cheek813 View Post
    How big is the blur file (update.zip) ? Just want to make sure everything is right before I do this. The one I have is 503 mb's.

Yes, that seems right. Update away!

Has anyone had experience in upgrading to kitkat when rooted on 4.2 w/ MotoRoot? When I accepted the camera update I stayed rooted, just wanted to know if anyone had issues. Still on Jellybean

Default Re: Tracking kitkat: on Motorola Droid MAXX

Still no update on Orlando Florida

Still waiting. I'm dying to get it so I can finally dismiss notifications with my Pebble.

Droid Maxx

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/ Franco Kernal

Ok, so I've updated manually and everything is great, but it seems that active notifications has not updated like it was supposed to due to lag with kit kat. I tried to use the link provided by Android Central and it brings me to the app in the play store but will not let me install. Anyone have the same issue, or have any advice? There's definitely lag when unlocking now, you may not have noticed if you got the ota since your active notifications was probably updated along with it.

For some reason every time I try to reboot in recovery mode the phone doesn't reboot and just stays off
    Nevermind
    Last edited by TostedAlmond; 12-27-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Nothing in kansas

I only have the option "update from sd card" and the update.zip file doesn't appear on the list for me

Nothing in California. Part of me wants the update but F this phone is pretty much perfect as it is right now

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX
    Thanked by:
    skatergirl and kkhanmd like this.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TostedAlmond View Post
    I only have the option "update from sd card" and the update.zip file doesn't appear on the list for me
    I saw the same thing. Just put the zip file in the root of your internal storage. It'll show up. Recovery didn't see the "sdcard" folder I created for some reason, but when I moved the file it worked fine.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Nothing in Dallas either....

Sent from a Droid Maxx
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by JimBen73 View Post
    Nothing in California. Part of me wants the update but F this phone is pretty much perfect as it is right now

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX
    You will like the camera update.
    ~Janet~

I don't think the OTA is location specific. I noticed post #6 in Nashville had received it 12/21. I too live in Nashville & haven't gotten it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    You will like the camera update.
    I am finding the camera to be really blown out. I just manually updated to 4.4 and re-installed the camera update. Is there something I am missing? Also, I am not finding how to control anything more than moving the focus point.

Quote Originally Posted by Melfunn View Post
    I don't think the OTA is location specific. I noticed post #6 in Nashville had received it 12/21. I too live in Nashville & haven't gotten it yet.

I'm poster #6 and I was part of the soak test. My husband, however, was not in the soak and he also got the update at the same time. (He has the Maxx and I have the Ultra.) Can't explain the rhyme or reason about the way it's going out or not going out. The update has been good for us and the only issues were some changed settings in Nova Launcher and having to sign into my Google account again. Husband didn't have to sign in again but did have to put some of his settings back the way they were in Nova. Other than that it's all good!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast