Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Billy Sweeney
  • 1 Post By jrabin
  • 1 Post By Reciprocal
  • 1 Post By perkdog65
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Has anyone been able to silence the Droid on boot?

I turn my phone off every night and when I turn it back on in the morning I'm forced to listen to that darn "Droid". Previous phones/ OS versions allowed me to disable the sound, but I can't find any place to do it on the Maxx. I asked at the Verizon store & was told it can't be done. Well, they don't know eveything. Has anyone figured out a way to do it (without rooting the phone) yet?

Default Re: Has anyone been able to silence the Droid on boot?

I am pretty sure if you turn your ringer volume to vibrate or mute it silences the startup sound too. It does n mine anyway but I use the Simple Volume app that syncs my ringer volume and all other volumes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    PDX97229 likes this.

Global Posts
    943 Global Posts

If your phone is rooted, go to directory /system/media/ and rename the sound file droidpu.ogg. I just changed it to droidpu.bak.
    Thanked by:

That is, indeed, one of the MOST annoying features. It's a great phone, and I rave about it to my friends and family, but when they hear this horrible "DROID" sound, it is a huge turn-off to them, and I look foolish for endorsing this phone.
    Thanked by:
    xweb10 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrabin View Post
    That is, indeed, one of the MOST annoying features. It's a great phone, and I rave about it to my friends and family, but when they hear this horrible "DROID" sound, it is a huge turn-off to them, and I look foolish for endorsing this phone.
    Still not as bad as the drip touch sounds on the Galaxy phones.

Also, how often are you rebooting your phone in front of people?...

Posted via Android Central App
    JimBen73 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Sweeney View Post
    I am pretty sure if you turn your ringer volume to vibrate or mute it silences the startup sound too. It does n mine anyway but I use the Simple Volume app that syncs my ringer volume and all other volumes.

This works

Global Posts
    1,124 Global Posts

Instead of turning off your phone at night have you thought about using the sleep at night function? Under settings and active notification you can set a time frame where your phone will not ring or notify you of messages. They will be there when you wake up. You can set contacts up that can ring through (family or friends). And if someone has an emergency you can set it up so if they call twice in 5 minutes they can also get through.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
    If your phone is rooted, go to directory /system/media/ and rename the sound file droidpu.ogg. I just changed it to droidpu.bak.
    Thanks for your response. My phone is new and I don't want to void the warranty. I'm also to chicken to root it so I guess I'll either have to find another way or grin and bear it.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Hgouck View Post
    Instead of turning off your phone at night have you thought about using the sleep at night function? Under settings and active notification you can set a time frame where your phone will not ring or notify you of messages. They will be there when you wake up. You can set contacts up that can ring through (family or friends). And if someone has an emergency you can set it up so if they call twice in 5 minutes they can also get through.
    Those are some good suggestions. I did set it up to sleep, but then started turning it off at night to stop battery usage altogether, and because I'm getting paranoid about what might be getting farmed from or installed to my phone when I'm not aware. I suppose that is totally ridiculous because there is nothing that can be done at night that can't be done during the day while the phone is securely by my side at my home. I didn't know that you can set up phone numbers to ring through when the phone is asleep. I'll have to look into that.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Sweeney View Post

Good suggestion. Thanks.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Reciprocal View Post
    Still not as bad as the drip touch sounds on the Galaxy phones.

Also, how often are you rebooting your phone in front of people?...

Posted via Android Central App
    Other people? I hate it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PDX97229 View Post
    <snip> I didn't know that you can set up phone numbers to ring through when the phone is asleep. I'll have to look into that.
    For the callers you want to allow, simply mark them as Favorites. Sleep function can also be set to allow anyone who calls twice in succession.

Interestingly - I logged a thread some time ago about how to get my DROID!! sound back on reboot. :-) It stopped for unknown reasons and has never returned. Wish I could tell you how it happened!

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Question Re: Has anyone been able to silence the Droid on boot?

Quote Originally Posted by jbeachy View Post
    For the callers you want to allow, simply mark them as Favorites. Sleep function can also be set to allow anyone who calls twice in succession.

Interestingly - I logged a thread some time ago about how to get my DROID!! sound back on reboot. :-) It stopped for unknown reasons and has never returned. Wish I could tell you how it happened!

Regarding the Droid sound, if figures that yours went off & you want it on. LOL Other posters have suggested that I just leave the phone on with the sleep setting. A funny thing happened last night. I was woken up by my phone at around 4am. :-( Occasionally my Droid X will do that after turning itself on (Seems to be a bug in the Droid X). I checked both phones last night & again this morning (just in case I wasn't awake enough to really know). The Droid X was still powered off, & the sleep setting was definitely on with the hours set to 11pm - 9am. It clearly was a phone notification that I heard. If I dreamed it, it still woke me up. I guess I'll keep turning the Droid X off and leaving the Maxx on & see if it happens again.

Great on double calls within 5 minutes ringing through. Thanks for the post. Trouble in Droid land. I just went to set the double call to ring through & I can't find a place to do it. I went to "Active Notifications - Sleep @ Night" & I saw what hours the phone would sleep. The box IS checked. When I looked at the settings all that was available was to set/change the hours. What am I missing?

Here's a non-technical solution: If you do reboot in front of others and want to do it quietly, I have a simple solution that I once used while in a meeting and noticed my Razr Maxx was locked up.

Just put your finger over the speaker in the back and the "DROID!" sound will be muffled. Try covering the speaker while playing music and you'll get to know the feel of covering the entire speaker.

The Razr Maxx was easier because the speaker hole was small and easy to feel. But I just tried it on the Droid Maxx (XT1080) and it works pretty well to muffle the sound substantially to almost nothing.
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

When you say mark it as a Favorite, do you mean add a star to the entry? Still can't figure out how to set the phone to ring during quiet hours if a caller dials twice. Is that possibly a default response?
    Last edited by PDX97229; 12-30-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling

This is what mine looks like

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone been able to silence the Droid on boot?-1388465245936.jpg  
    Droid Maxx
    Running 4.4 Kit Kat

US Navy CPO Ret
    Thanked by:
    PDX97229 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by perkdog65 View Post

Thanks perkdog65. I do all my posting using the forum app, which doesn't support posting images. That's exactly what my Assist looks like.

Thanks perkdog65. I do all my posting using the forum app, which doesn't support posting images. That's exactly what my Assist looks like.

I've seen multiple people say that the forum app doesn't support posting images. I've never had trouble with it. I'm using it right now for example.. .

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone been able to silence the Droid on boot?-1388641536726.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by beeare View Post
    I've seen multiple people say that the forum app doesn't support posting images. I've never had trouble with it. I'm using it right now for example.. .

They are talking about the official Android Central app. Not the AC Forums mobile app.

Sent from my out-of-this-world Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by perkdog65 View Post

Sorry for the delayed response. I can't believe how much time it is taking me to set up my phone. Today I accidentally found the Motorola Assist App. Unfortunately that is how I'm getting most things done; accidentally. So I did finally get the right settings. This phone is very powerful, but it is also very complicated. Thanks for your help.