Motorola Droid MAXX - automatically toggle hotspot feature with tasker or other app

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Before I had my MAXX, I had a Galaxy Nexus. I used tasker to turn on my hotspot when in the car so my tablet (gps) would have data. It was all automated and working quite well. Now that I have upgraded to the MAXX, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to get this automation. Has anyone had any success with tasker, or another app? My old tasker app would turn on the hotspot when the phone connected to my in-car bluetooth. That's essentially what I'm looking to do now.

Is root the only way? I've never rooted and would rather not get involved in doing so.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: automatically toggle hotspot feature with tasker or other app

This method doesn't involve Tasker: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=eu.inrete.autotethering&hl=en&token=UmriatMZ The person recommending it said if all you want to do is toggle, you can ignore the "automatica" part of the concept.

For your profile, I'm assuming you're using a context bluetooth connected state or something to that effect, would you mind sharing what your approach looks like? Also, do you have secure settings plugin? I don't think you need root for hotspot, but not 100% sure on that.

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm a bit of tasker noob but I'll try to explain how mine works.

I have a profile that checks if "Bluetooth Connected" is true, this calls a Task that turns on the mobile hotspot app. However, now that I'm on the MAXX, i dont' have a mobile hotspot app anymore. So the closest I can get to this functionality is having my task open the the "Wireless Settings" menu. From there I have to manually turn on the hotspot and wait for the subscription check before closing it.

I think my issue is related to the fact that Tasker can't actually manipulate options in the settings that are radio buttons.

What is the secure settings plugin? *Just looked this up. Might help me. I will try.

I'm going to check out that app you mentioned.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Might be able to shortcut it slightly by creating a shortcut and having the bluetooth connected check execute running the shortcut, rather than trying to go through settings.

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Tried the secure settings plugin which produced an error when attempting to enable the mobile hotspot.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Tried the secure settings plugin which produced an error when attempting to enable the mobile hotspot.

Does it possibly need wait steps or does that method seem closed? I didn't see anything that suggested root access was required.

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I think this has something to do with how Verizon has added the subscription check to lock down the hotspot feature. the only way to turn it on is to go into setting, select the check box for mobile hotspot and wait for the subscription check to clear. Then the hotspot is activated. But this has to be done manually.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think this has something to do with how Verizon has added the subscription check to lock down the hotspot feature. the only way to turn it on is to go into setting, select the check box for mobile hotspot and wait for the subscription check to clear. Then the hotspot is activated. But this has to be done manually.

laaaaaaame! sorry I couldn't be of more help, I haven't tried doing much of anything to my new phone and my last phone with Tasker was a gnex also, so I had it pretty wide open in what I wanted it to do.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you do figure out how to do it, please post back because I think going forward the solutions will have to grow much more creative.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user