Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By beeare
  • 1 Post By WallaceD
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Second Dead Maxx :-(

I'm waiting on the arrival of what will be my 3rd Moto Droid Maxx in 5 months. After having the Moto RAZR which was very reliable up until the end of the 2nd year I had it, I opted for yet another Moto assuming that it would provide the reliability I wanted. Getting the Maxx would quadruple my battery life, so how could I lose, right? Wrong! The 1st Maxx I purchased in August brand new. Randomly in early December, I had the phone on the charger overnight. When I took it off of the charger, the screen was completely dead & the phone would not power on. I attempted multiple soft resets/forced reboots (power button + down volume), troubleshooting, etc.; however, it would not power on. Baffled by the cause of the phone dying, I got rid of the current charger just in case it was the source of the problem. VZW sent me a refurb (phone #2). Almost a month to the day exactly, my phone was on the charger as I was scrolling through my Instagram, froze, & seconds later dies in almost the exact same fashion.

I've never once dropped either unit, exposed them to water, etc. I have had the phones protected with an Otterbox Commuter series case the entire time I've had them. They have not been rooted & aside from a social media app here or there, I use it mostly for e-mail, texting, and occasional phone calls. I've seen a couple of reviews via the VZW website, where others have had similar experiences. The VZW reps I've spoken to claim there are no known defects that cause this issue, & that my situation (as well as the others posted) are just some sort of fluke.

I"m at a loss, baffled, & more than anything, frustrated. Anyone else had/heard of this issue or have any insight into what could possibly be causing this?

Default Re: Second Dead Maxx :-(

Quote Originally Posted by nvmyivy View Post
    I'm waiting on the arrival of what will be my 3rd Moto Droid Maxx in 5 months. After having the Moto RAZR which was very reliable up until the end of the 2nd year I had it, I opted for yet another Moto assuming that it would provide the reliability I wanted. Getting the Maxx would quadruple my battery life, so how could I lose, right? Wrong! The 1st Maxx I purchased in August brand new. Randomly in early December, I had the phone on the charger overnight. When I took it off of the charger, the screen was completely dead & the phone would not power on. I attempted multiple soft resets/forced reboots (power button + down volume), troubleshooting, etc.; however, it would not power on. Baffled by the cause of the phone dying, I got rid of the current charger just in case it was the source of the problem. VZW sent me a refurb (phone #2). Almost a month to the day exactly, my phone was on the charger as I was scrolling through my Instagram, froze, & seconds later dies in almost the exact same fashion.

I've never once dropped either unit, exposed them to water, etc. I have had the phones protected with an Otterbox Commuter series case the entire time I've had them. They have not been rooted & aside from a social media app here or there, I use it mostly for e-mail, texting, and occasional phone calls. I've seen a couple of reviews via the VZW website, where others have had similar experiences. The VZW reps I've spoken to claim there are no known defects that cause this issue, & that my situation (as well as the others posted) are just some sort of fluke.

I"m at a loss, baffled, & more than anything, frustrated. Anyone else had/heard of this issue or have any insight into what could possibly be causing this?
    I'm sure if you check the forums or the VZW page for any phone, you'll read flukish accounts of incidences that sound similar to this or similar to yours. I'm not going to be any help here, but I did my fair share of research before buying the Maxx, and although you read an occasional story about a phone with some weird issues, it does not appear to be at all common, or something that seems to happen with the Maxx more than any other phone . I'm sorry you've had the misfortune of dealing with this, but I would be absolutely flabbergasted if it happened a 3rd time, but if it does, I would have to suspect it's something you're doing with the phone at that point, rather than it being a problem native to the Maxx.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    skatergirl likes this.

You could try insisting on receiving a new device as a replacement. I'm not sure if they would provide one but based on your history it would be logical.

We've got 2 in our house and I must say that physically they seem quite well constructed. We haven't experienced more than a couple software bugs with our phones.

Posted via Android Central App

I know you replaced the charger, but have you tried moving the Maxx to a different power outlet? If not, I would definitely recommend it.

It couldn't hurt, right?
    skatergirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nvmyivy View Post
    I'm sorry to read that you've had so much trouble. Mine has been rock-solid since launch day.

In addition to trying a Moto branded charger, with a Moto cable (i.e., the ones that shipped with the unit), and moving the charger to another outlet, maybe try plugging into a surge suppressor? That would eliminate the charger/cable/power surge from a list of possible causes.

One other thing to try: a different case. This sounds weird, but maybe the commuter is holding in too much heat during the charge, causing the battery pack to fail way too early? I actually doubt that it's this - I used a Commuter for a few weeks, until I decided it made the phone too heavy in my pocket and was a little slippery to hold, and didn't notice the phone feeling too warm. Plus I have an app that monitors battery temp and alarms if there is a problem, and never noticed a problem with overheating while charging. But, I suppose that it's possible that the case would insulate the heat a bit.

Honestly, I think that you just had bad luck with the first phone, and then warranty replacements are usually refurbs, so just a crapshot.