Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ThatdudeXavi
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Maxx is updating to 4.4 but..

My update is at 30%, I heard something about 4.4 having glitches and something about "wifi not tethering" so I was wondering if I should cancel the update or just let it be? Any opinions on what's best to do for now?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-13-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Default Re: My maxx is updating to 4.4 but..

Personally I'm not updating. Not yet anyway. I still have my unlimited plan so I'm not updating so I can hold on to the WiFi tethering

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by psychoD33x View Post
    Personally I'm not updating. Not yet anyway. I still have my unlimited plan so I'm not updating so I can hold on to the WiFi tethering

And wifi tethering is one for the unlimited plans? I'm not even sure what it means to be honest. I'm new to this whole Smart phone talk.
    Thanked by:
    ako379 

i did it. havent done much since then with it though.
    -DC
    Motorola Droid MAXX 4.4
    Yes, Farmville is a real town, not just a game on Facebook....

You can have WiFi tethering without an unlimited plan. However if you have an unlimited plan you have to pay extra every month to use the hot spot feature and you only get about 2 gigs of data to use for that purpose

WiFi tethering works fine on a Share Everything plan on KitKat.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    WiFi tethering works fine on a Share Everything plan on KitKat.
    Oh OK! This is what I needed to hear. So besides the WiFi tethering, is there anything else that would stop you from updating?

Bluetooth MAP doesn't work with Kit-Kat.
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by ThatdudeXavi View Post
    Oh OK! This is what I needed to hear. So besides the WiFi tethering, is there anything else that would stop you from updating?

I'd say no. I updated and had a few minor issues with two apps and the developers were quick to fix.
    ~Janet~
    Lovin' My Phone

My update is at 30%, I heard something about 4.4 having glitches and something about "wifi not tethering" so I was wondering if I should cancel the update or just let it be? Any opinions on what's best to do for now?
    So, you were not part of the soak test?
    ~Janet~
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

You can have WiFi tethering without an unlimited plan. However if you have an unlimited plan you have to pay extra every month to use the hot spot feature and you only get about 2 gigs of data to use for that purpose

This is incorrect. I have unlimited data and the $30 tethering plan, and I tether well over 20 GB a month for work.
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Default Re: My Maxx is updating to 4.4 but..

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    I wasn't part of the soak test. The update just came in this morning. I went ahead and updated but the OK Google" command isn't functioning anymore? OK Google now" works but when Google is already up I was able to just say OK Google without it taking me back to the black screen and waiting for the command so I'm not sure why they would take that out. It's just a minor inconvenience though.
    Last edited by ThatdudeXavi; 01-13-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
    skatergirl likes this.

I wasn't part of the soak test. The update just came in this morning. I went ahead and updated but the OK Google" command isn't functioning anymore? OK Google now" works but when Google is already up I was able to just say OK Google without it taking me back to the black screen and waiting for the command so I'm not sure why they would take that out. It's just a minor inconvenience though.
    Just to check, start Google search, scroll to the bottom and tap the menu control, then settings. Tap voice. Is "Hotword detection" turned on? Is the language set to English (US)?

That said, "OK Google Now" is just a pass-through to Google search anyway, so just use that...
    Thanked by:
    Lovin' My Phone

Well, this is good news. Perhaps Kitkat will soon be widespread on the Droid Maxx.
    ~Janet~

Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    This is incorrect. I have unlimited data and the $30 tethering plan, and I tether well over 20 GB a month for work.
    Sad when they want as much to allow tethering as they once did for the unlimited data. But when you're using that much data via tethering, I'd say it's a fair price. I rarely go over 5GB/mo total usage, with only a very small percentage of that over tethering, so there's no way I'm interested in paying an extra $30/mo for tethering.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Just to check, start Google search, scroll to the bottom and tap the menu control, then settings. Tap voice. Is "Hotword detection" turned on? Is the language set to English (US)?

That said, "OK Google Now" is just a pass-through to Google search anyway, so just use that...
    I followed your instructions and everything is as you asked. OK Google works when I'm already on the Google search but the screen still turns black so I guess it doesn't matter. It just looked smoother before the update. Also as I was going through the settings I noticed that my music player was under one of the commands (along with chrome, contacts etc) but I'm not sure how to command my phone to play music?

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Sad when they want as much to allow tethering as they once did for the unlimited data. But when you're using that much data via tethering, I'd say it's a fair price. I rarely go over 5GB/mo total usage, with only a very small percentage of that over tethering, so there's no way I'm interested in paying an extra $30/mo for tethering.
    That was the "original" pricing for Mobile Hot Spot/Tethering with Unlimited data. Whether it is "right" or "fair" is up for debate.

Posted from my XT1080M
    Current Personal Devices: Droid MAXX XT1080M; Sero 7 Pro
    Previous Personal Devices:
    Compaq HPC / Palm IIIc / Moto Bag Phone / Moto Flip Phone / StarTAC 7860 / StarTAC 7868 / v60s / GZ1 Type V / GZ1 Boulder / Thunderbolt
    Current Work Device: iPhone4
    Previous Work Devices:
    Moto "Lingo" L3000 iDEN / R750 / i355 / i580 + BB 8703 / BB 8830 / BB8330 / i576 + BB 9650 Storm

I got the kit kat ota today on my Maxx here in WA. Everything is good so far some icons are different and the lock unlock sound is different. I ran a quadrant test and it scored a 8590. I haven't played with the phone much yet but so far its all good.

If you have unlimited it is $30 a month for the hot spot, but you get to use your unlimited data. I have been using 25 to offer 30 GB the last couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    If you have unlimited it is $30 a month for the hot spot, but you get to use your unlimited data. I have been using 25 to offer 30 GB the last couple months.
    Did you sign up for the hot spot before the share everything plans? When I got my maxx I asked about using the hot spot and they told me it was an extra $30 and that gets you 2 gigs. Maybe that salesperson was misinformed, but either way I don't want the extra monthly fee especially when I only use it here and there

Did you sign up for the hot spot before the share everything plans? When I got my maxx I asked about using the hot spot and they told me it was an extra $30 and that gets you 2 gigs. Maybe that salesperson was misinformed, but either way I don't want the extra monthly fee especially when I only use it here and there

No I just signed up for it after I got my LG G2, came from a GNex and the radios in it where not good enough to use as a hot spot ask the time so I had a mifi I was paying like $60 for 10GB. The G2 radios are so good I dropped the mifi and even though I'm paying $30 for hot spot I'm now getting unlimited data and saving money.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Thanked by: