Droid Maxx: Improvements with 4.4?

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Improvements with 4.4?

What have you guys noticed has improved with 4.4?

Honestly I don't really appreciate much in the way of performance improvement. I do like the album art taking up full screen when the phone is locked. In retrospect I would have preferred to not update to keep the unlimited tether option. The updates are mostly aesthetic.

And the translucent app drawer was a feature of nova launcher before the update. I think you meant translucent status bar.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

In addition to the above:

You can now set a default SMS app from settings->more (under wireless & networks).

If you have more than the standard Motorola home launcher, you can set the default at settings->home

Tap & pay has a setting. I've never tried it (and never will) but I understand that it allows Google Wallet tap and pay to work.

There is better support for Bluetooth LE, and devices like the Fitbit devices now work with the Droids.

If you have two apps that can do something, with nothing set as the default (say, two browsers on the system), the first time a browser link is pressed a list of items is shown, allowing yo to choose one and choose a button that says "Just once" or "Always". That's not new, but what is new is that if you select something and say "Just once", that item will be highlighted the next time you have the same choice.

There is a full-screen mode for apps that support it. The first time you see it it tells you that you can return to normal with a swipe down from the top.

There is now a settings->printing setting; I have printed from GMail, Hangouts and Chrome.

I believe that the stock keyboard supports emoji (or more emoji.) I'm not 100% sure which - I don't use the stock keyboard anyway.

Otherwise, a lot of improvements under the hood. And perhaps things that I have not noticed...

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Oh, and now Motorola Assist has improved...

I'm still on 4.2.2 and had an update to Motorola Assist today. Is there an improvement that's KitKat dependent, or are you just associating the two updates with each other due to timing?

D850

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I got the kit kat ota today on my Maxx here in WA. Everything is good so far some icons are different and the lock unlock sound is different. I ran a quadrant test and it scored a 8590. I haven't played with the phone much yet but so far its all good.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm still on 4.2.2 and had an update to Motorola Assist today. Is there an improvement that's KitKat dependent, or are you just associating the two updates with each other due to timing?

Oh, sorry. I thought I read that the assist changes were KK only.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site

I got the kit kat ota today on my Maxx here in WA. Everything is good so far some icons are different and the lock unlock sound is different. I ran a quadrant test and it scored a 8590. I haven't played with the phone much yet but so far its all good.

What was it on 4.2?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

what are the camera improvements?

The major difference is that if you have touch to focus turned on a new control appears on the screen - a green circle with a small rectangle in the center. You can drag that control to any location. It's used to set focus and exposure for the photo. I'm not sure what else was improved - perhaps there is better post-processing happening as well.

eewwyeah

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded the OTA update. Maybe I'm missing something, but other than the NFC and camera, I don't see any changes. I still have the blue up top and my dialer doesn't appear to be different. Did I do something wrong? Oh yeah, there are more emoji's on the keyboard too

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded the OTA update. Maybe I'm missing something, but other than the NFC and camera, I don't see any changes. I still have the blue up top and my dialer doesn't appear to be different. Did I do something wrong? Oh yeah, there are more emoji's on the keyboard too

No, you did nothing wrong. There is no new dialer. The status bar remains the same. I've detailed the changes I've noticed above. There are now some updates to assist and Touchless controls that I think are kitkat only.

eewwyeah

May 13, 2013
Visit site
thanks. I remembered reading about all of those at other times. thought maybe something didn't go right when I didn't see them, which is all fine by me because I thought the phone was GREAT before the update

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Most of the improvements in kitkat are supposed to be under the hood. I've noticed on my HTC One phenomenal improvement in battery life on 4.4. I'm excited at the prospect of similar improvements on top of the already great battery life on the Maxx.

Downloaded the OTA but I am hesitant to apply it because of root. I've rooted every phone I've ever had, except for the Maxx, which doesn't really need it for anything I do. I'm a little concerned about the future.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Also, curious if it is recommended to do a full factory reset after getting the update? I'd obviously prefer not to, but would do so if it is recommended for any reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown