Art vs. Dalvik

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Anyone use or have any input on which one is better with the new 4.4 update? I was thinking about trying art but wasn't sure if there is much of a difference. Any feedback will help. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

DASHAUS

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is to not bother with art yet, it was only put in really so developers could test off it. Tldr; not ready for prime time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone use or have any input on which one is better with the new 4.4 update? I was thinking about trying art but wasn't sure if there is much of a difference. Any feedback will help. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

please dont do it 4.4(maxx version) has some compatibility issues which was fixed on 4.4.2

again ART is not ready for prime time

dtbarabus

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm running art and have been since December rollout. I have no issues. Much improved performance.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I switched to ART right after I updated to 4.4 in December. Once the runtime setting is changed from Dalvik to ART, the phone will reboot and take pretty long time as it needs to compile all apps. After that - pretty smooth sailing. The phone is quite a bit snappier and the battery life is crazy great! The only issues I've ran into is Pandora needed to be uninstalled and reinstalled - after that works great. The only remaining issue I have while on ART is that Facebook cant post pictures - I can live with that. I'm staying on ART.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Got my kitkat love today. Switched to ART right away. I'm already in love with this phone all over again. Android is now as smooth as iOS. Simply amazing.

Posted via Android Central App

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I switched to art after your replies, so far so good

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Is it necessary to uninstall all apps and reinstall or do the apps get updated using ART and are g2g after it reboots?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Is it necessary to uninstall all apps and reinstall or do the apps get updated using ART and are g2g after it reboots?

Apps get optimized and it's sort of time consuming depending how many you have. If any of them don't work afterwards just uninstall and reinstall. Some may still not work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Pyro2677

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Whatsapp doesn't work with 4.4 but does with 4.4.2 so i will be waiting for it. I used to have an S3 with KK 4.4.2 before i got my droid and i loved the 4.4.2 KK wish i could root my Maxx after the 4.4 update. :(

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Double check your apps for compatibility first. If your essentials work then ART is indeed faster. It is still a testing feature so you may have more bugs.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Just did the conversion this morning and phone does seem a little quicker.
Read the thread linked below and the link posted in that thread for more info and how to enable developer option. Still considered experimental, but it appears you can easily change back to Dalvik if there are any issues. I haven't had any so far with the main apps I use.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...oid-maxx-android-kit-kat-4-4-tips-tricks.html