Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GMasonDragonDad
  • 1 Post By viper81
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid Maxx: Crazy battery drain

I recieved the Kit Kat update on 1/14/14. Battery drain this morning was 6% in one hour. The monitor stated 63% for Google Play services. When i turn of location services the drain is now 2% in the last 2 hours. What can I do to fix this other than leave location services of.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-15-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Default Re: Crazy battery drain

I installed 4.4 yesterday too. Have had location services off since install. Battery has been incredible. Maybe even better than before the update. Still early, though, so hard to know for sure. Just a general sense after using it my whole train ride.

Interesting. I have a pebble b'toothed to mine. Battery life lasts longer now than when I had Jelly Bean. Have you started doing anything different? When I played candy crush it used to "crush" my battery life!

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Quote Originally Posted by rescue56100 View Post
    I recieved the Kit Kat update on 1/14/14. Battery drain this morning was 6% in one hour. The monitor stated 63% for Google Play services. When i turn of location services the drain is now 2% in the last 2 hours. What can I do to fix this other than leave location services of.
    Check the version of google play services... If its not version 4.1 and its a lower version, that will be the reason why. 4.1 play services fixes location service battery issue. You can either wait til google pushes this update to the phone or you can download the apk and install. Either way, a fix is available.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

As previously indicated, it is a bug in Play Services, and there is an update rolling out (it updates silently.) I have not received it yet. Try restarting the phone - see if that solves the problem.

Also, the first day with a new update tends to drain battery fast anyway as caches rebuild, etc. Still, try the update. I'm avoiding sideloading the Play Services update, as I have read that the available .apk may not be the current version (plus, I consider sideloading a security issue, but that's just me...)

Quote Originally Posted by SeigaGen View Post
    Check the version of google play services... If its not version 4.1 and its a lower version, that will be the reason why. 4.1 play services fixes location service battery issue. You can either wait til google pushes this update to the phone or you can download the apk and install. Either way, a fix is available.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Mine says version build 4.5.10

Is that the most current version that recently rolled out?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I just checked the version and it is 4.0.34. I guess I will wait for the update and check the version occasionally to see if I have recieved the update. Thank you for the help I am new to Droid and Android in general.

Quote Originally Posted by beeare View Post
    Mine says version build 4.5.10
    That must be the Play Store, not Play Services.

Settings->apps, scroll down to Google Play Services. Mine is at 4.0.34. The new version is 4.1.xx.

My phone evened out after three or four days of unusually high battery drain (possibly due to a play services update I don't know). Another thing I think helps is either a full reset or wipe your cache.

Posted via Android Central App
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Google Play Services: 4.1.32
    Google Play Store: 4.5.10

You want Play services to be 4.1 check in settings/apps

Google changed the permissions for Wakelock detector apps. There is however, a non root workaround. You can find that here

I just checked the version and it is 4.0.34. I guess I will wait for the update and check the version occasionally to see if I have recieved the update. Thank you for the help I am new to Droid and Android in general.
    I have the same problem. Phone is down to 46% from 100% this morning. Normally I'm at 67%-74% by end of day. I just checked Google play services and I have 4.0.34. I altso am a noob to android central. This battery drain issue brought me to the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by JDMaxx View Post
    I have the same problem. Phone is down to 46% from 100% this morning. Normally I'm at 67%-74% by end of day. I just checked Google play services and I have 4.0.34. I altso am a noob to android central. This battery drain issue brought me to the yard.

This is very strange. I have been on 4.4 since December, and it took a few days for my battery to settle back in -- but it was nothing crazy. Last night I left my phone on with a game on the screen and it burned down to 0 and shut off. (Stupid as hell!) Now today, my battery is burning crazy numbers. It lost 5% on my 1 hour ride home, dropping it to 20% by the time I got home. Typically I am above 50.

The major culprit is not Play Services though, it was Android OS at 41% - CPU time of 4.5 hours. Screen time was under 3 hours.

I got a warning sign in my notification bar and my phone just updated Play Services to 4.1.32. I also powered down and restarted. I hope this clears it up.

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    That must be the Play Store, not Play Services.

Settings->apps, scroll down to Google Play Services. Mine is at 4.0.34. The new version is 4.1.xx.
    Yes, you're right, I accidentally looked at the play store.

How can you force an update of play services to 4.1?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Droid Maxx: Crazy battery drain

Interesting, I am on 4.1.32,and every time I reboot google play services crashes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

So to force update this...we can download the apk and flash it?
    ~ Still Waters Run Deep ~

Quote Originally Posted by westiewanderer View Post
    So to force update this...we can download the apk and flash it?
    Yes, but based on things like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Speccers View Post
    Interesting, I am on 4.1.32,and every time I reboot google play services crashes.
    I would wait. I've read others say that they are having problems; some who have changed to ART. It's probably better just to wait it out.
    Thanked by:

Yes, but based on things like this:

I would wait. I've read others say that they are having problems; some who have changed to ART. It's probably better just to wait it out.
    Yeah, I am running art, that's when it started, works fine just crashes every reboot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

My phone just updated the Google Play services so we will see how the battery performance is over the next few days.

Got KK update, deleted system cache, deleted application caches, updated all apps, updated google play services. Phone is at 87% after 21 hours with light usage. 83% deep sleep. All is well!

Sent from Droid Maxx

I received the 4.1.32 update today as well. I wonder if just about everybody with a Droid is getting it now?

I got both updates yesterday and all is well!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I received the 4.1.32 update today as well. I wonder if just about everybody with a Droid is getting it now?
    Looks like it.

Quote Originally Posted by GMasonDragonDad View Post
    Got KK update, deleted system cache, deleted application caches, updated all apps, updated google play services. Phone is at 87% after 21 hours with light usage. 83% deep sleep. All is well!
    Quote Originally Posted by viper81 View Post
    I got both updates yesterday and all is well!
    Good to hear on both accounts. 87% after 21 hours of light usage... all is well indeed.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

I must say now that I have had the update my battery is better than ever.

My battery seems to be the same. It drops 10% for every 44 minutes of on screen time.

what all is your settings so I can set mine up the same please let me know