Factory reset after encrypting

drwtsn32

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I performed a factory reset via the boot menu on my phone (which was encrypted). This formatted the /data and /cache partitions. But now it still prompts for a decryption password on startup. But now my old password doesn't work any more.

Suggestions?

drwtsn32

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I think I got it! I put the phone in fastboot mode, then ran the following (from the Android SDK):

fastboot erase userdata

I then booted into recovery from the fastboot menu, did one more factory erase/reset for good measure, then rebooted the phone normally.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Funny, I was researching this last night and really couldn't find a good answer. I do wonder, though, if you are supposed to factory reset from Android itself, from settings->Backup & reset, if the device is encrypted?

But, thanks for the solution...

drwtsn32

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I do wonder, though, if you are supposed to factory reset from Android itself, from settings->Backup & reset, if the device is encrypted?
I didn't think there would be a difference, but the thought crossed my mind when I ran into this problem.

Did my solution work for you too?

mikeymaxima14

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey , I am dying to do exactly what you did to revert the encryption with a fastboot stock flash... i would be using the files from 4.4 ( labeled droid maxx dev) ..
THe only issue i am having is getting into AP fastboot when the phone is off? The encryption prompt seems to get in the way? How did you get into fastboot on your device? I should be able to handle the fastboot stock restore, i have done it before...

Tristam Lom

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
@drwtsn32 Thanks for this! I have a Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE that I encrypted (Wasn't thinking at the time and didn't look at the cons for doing so) and for some reason I couldn't factory reset it from the settings or from clockwork mod's recovery. Luckily you had the solution so Thank You!