Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Factory reset after encrypting

I performed a factory reset via the boot menu on my phone (which was encrypted). This formatted the /data and /cache partitions. But now it still prompts for a decryption password on startup. But now my old password doesn't work any more.

Suggestions?

Default Re: Factory reset after encrypting

Factory reset from the boot menu instead?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That's how I did it the first time. I tried doing it again (and again) but it didn't help.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ok, I think I got it! I put the phone in fastboot mode, then ran the following (from the Android SDK):

fastboot erase userdata

I then booted into recovery from the fastboot menu, did one more factory erase/reset for good measure, then rebooted the phone normally.

Funny, I was researching this last night and really couldn't find a good answer. I do wonder, though, if you are supposed to factory reset from Android itself, from settings->Backup & reset, if the device is encrypted?

But, thanks for the solution...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    I do wonder, though, if you are supposed to factory reset from Android itself, from settings->Backup & reset, if the device is encrypted?
    I didn't think there would be a difference, but the thought crossed my mind when I ran into this problem.

Did my solution work for you too?

Quote Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
    I didn't think there would be a difference, but the thought crossed my mind when I ran into this problem.

Did my solution work for you too?
    I haven't factory reset. But it's good to know what I have to do if I see that problem.

Hey , I am dying to do exactly what you did to revert the encryption with a fastboot stock flash... i would be using the files from 4.4 ( labeled droid maxx dev) ..
    THe only issue i am having is getting into AP fastboot when the phone is off? The encryption prompt seems to get in the way? How did you get into fastboot on your device? I should be able to handle the fastboot stock restore, i have done it before...

I used 'none' as the password and it worked for me.

@drwtsn32 Thanks for this! I have a Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE that I encrypted (Wasn't thinking at the time and didn't look at the cons for doing so) and for some reason I couldn't factory reset it from the settings or from clockwork mod's recovery. Luckily you had the solution so Thank You!