Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which launcher?

Stock kit kat 4.4 update what the ride more appealing aesthetic changes then it does to my droid Maxx. Accordingly looking to buy the purchased version of one of the Watchers. Go Launcher seems okay but also has a lot of clutter installed with it nova launcher seems nice though wondering if there are any suggestions by experience. Thanks in advance!

Sent from My MAXX

Sent from My MAXX

Default Re: Which launcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Series335 View Post
    Stock kit kat 4.4 update what the ride more appealing aesthetic changes then it does to my droid Maxx. Accordingly looking to buy the purchased version of one of the Watchers. Go Launcher seems okay but also has a lot of clutter installed with it nova launcher seems nice though wondering if there are any suggestions by experience. Thanks in advance!

Sent from My MAXX

Sent from My MAXX
    I don't quite get what you meant in your first sentence but i'm assuming you updated to 4.4 and stuck with the old JB launcher. In my experience i enjoyed nova launcher MUCH more than Go launcher, in fact any launcher out there. If you want the same launcher as on the nexus 5, download GEL. If you want more customization, go with Nova. I would recommend to you Nova if your opposed to using the GEL.
    Thanked by:

Liking Nova VERY much, especially across flashing ROMs back on my Razr Maxx!

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.
    Thanked by:
    CrazyRussian007 likes this.
    Banned

Yeah i use nova. Love the multi-touch commands. I recommend nova over anything.

This thread is in unacceptable condition; UNACCEPTABLE....
    SSgS|||_2_DroidCentral
    Thanked by:
    CrazyRussian007 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the fast response. Yeah, my post was a bit jumbled, from voice text in loud room. You all confirmed what I was thinking. Will purchase with confidence now. Appreciate it!

Sent from My MAXX

You can try to the Nexus launcher for free. Sideload the apk. Search for googlehome.apk.

I'm trying out the gel launcher and like it a lot. I also recommend buzz launcher, I've created some cool screens with that launcher.

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

I used to use adw ex on my Bionic but found it a little laggy, however I kept it for the whole 2 yr period I had the phone because I liked the customization. I love the smoothness of this phone and would not want to give it up for anything. Is nova as smooth as the default launcher?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

I would say yes it is as fast. I've been using Nova for awhile even on my rooted S3 and the transition to my Maxx was easy as. You can turn the animation speed down in Nova settings and mine is lightning quick now. You wont be disapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by beeare View Post
    I used to use adw ex on my Bionic but found it a little laggy, however I kept it for the whole 2 yr period I had the phone because I liked the customization. I love the smoothness of this phone and would not want to give it up for anything. Is nova as smooth as the default launcher?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Nova Prime 100 %

Take notes Google.
    Last edited by Masheen; 01-16-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Action Launcher

Posted via Android Central App

Definitely Nova Prime. Sign up for the beta.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

Dodol launcher...

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblin30 View Post
    Action Launcher

Are you having any issues since 4.4? My home button has problems.

i use Nova on my Nexus 7. Nice launcher.

I've never used a different launcher. I have some questions. If I try one and I don't like it, can I go back to the original? Will a different launcher use more battery? Will it hurt my phone in any way?

In addition to BlueLions81 questions, can you try different launchers at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLions81 View Post
    I've never used a different launcher. I have some questions. If I try one and I don't like it, can I go back to the original? Will a different launcher use more battery? Will it hurt my phone in any way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle J View Post
    In addition to BlueLions81 questions, can you try different launchers at the same time?
    Launchers are like Apps so you can uninstall them whenever you want. You can also install multiple launchers and switch between them whenever you want.

KitKat should have brought in a default Home selector in the settings so you can select which Launcher to use. Alternatively, you can go into the App Settings of a particular Launcher that you have set as the default and Clear Defaults. Then, when you hit the home button again, you can re-select another launcher to use.

I suppose in theory, if it hasn't been coded properly, then it may drain some more battery, but that's unlikely. Things such as added animations, the speed of the animations, etc, can all have an effect on the battery, though. Just not very much.
    Thanked by:
    Hgouck 
    Hgouck likes this.

I ran the stock launcher until the update. Since then I have tried Aviate (but the home key bug makes that too much of a pain), Action Launcher and now Nova Launcher (since upgraded to Prime) and I am sticking with Nova. I've only had one issue: some of my widgets stop displaying temporarily, including the Google search box at the top of the display (unlike many, I like that so I kept it with Nova). It's very infrequent, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DOOG9517 View Post
    Are you having any issues since 4.4? My home button has problems.

Try "unchecking" the box for Toggle Quickdrawer under Shortcuts in the settings menu. Since doing that, I have had zero issues with the home button.

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    I ran the stock launcher until the update. Since then I have tried Aviate (but the home key bug makes that too much of a pain), Action Launcher and now Nova Launcher (since upgraded to Prime) and I am sticking with Nova. I've only had one issue: some of my widgets stop displaying temporarily, including the Google search box at the top of the display (unlike many, I like that so I kept it with Nova). It's very infrequent, though.
    I have played with them all as well. I burned out on Aviate pretty quickly, the home button issue was a biggie, but it did not really show that it was going to 'learn' from my usage. The contextual home screen is a nice thought, but Aviate is not there yet.

Since I have switched over to GEL, and I really like it. Still getting used to the home screen placement, but love Google Now being a swipe away. I also like the look and feel.

Isn't Google now the same as long pressing/swiping up on the home button on any non-nexus 5? How is it advantageous having it as a home screen?

Quote Originally Posted by adamhudson View Post
    Isn't Google now the same as long pressing/swiping up on the home button on any non-nexus 5? How is it advantageous having it as a home screen?

Google Now as the left-most home page is only one feature. It has a different look (icons are a bit bigger) and the notification bar is transparent (like other non-Verizon versions). The default is only the main home screen and the Google Now home screen. You can add screens as needed, but you're not set on five whether you need them or not like the stock launcher. It also adds the (again non-Verizon-ized) widgets being added from a long press on the home screen instead through the app drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by adamhudson View Post

Yes, it is the same. Really pretty equal to the Google Now widget that I used, and exactly the same as what you get with long press and swipe up on the stock launcher. For some reason I really like left swiping to have it slide over. As another poster says, the visuals are a little different too. More transparencies, larger icons. I like the app drawer button better, and long press on home screen to add widgets is back -- love that! Long press also allows wall paper selection and you can change screens too.

In short, it is a lot of little things that adds up to a nice package. The only thing I miss is the Droid Command Center.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelGator View Post

In short, it is a lot of little things that adds up to a nice package. The only thing I miss is the Droid Command Center.
    This exactly. It may sound silly but I really miss being able to just flip through different cities to check on the weather (use the feature a lot). I haven't been able to find a widget that can do that.

As much as I enjoy GEL I think I might go back to stock.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Series335 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast