Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kit Kat Update - Battery issues, did factory reset, phone fresh again

I started having battery issues recently on my Maxx. I installed Kit Kat yesterday and it chewed through battery life. In the past, although a pain, I've found it better to install the update, then do a factory reset of the phone. It seems cleaner for the device.

Before doing so, back up photos to dropbox and use SMSbackup+ to backup texts to gmail. It's not as much of a hassle as it could be and I know I'm starting with a fresh install of the new OS.

Just throwing that out there if you are having issues.

Default Re: Kit Kat Update - Battery issues, did factory reset, phone fresh again

I got the update in December and after a few days my battery life pretty much went back to normal.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Lovin' My Phone

Default Re: Kit Kat Update - Battery issues, did factory reset, phone fresh again

Quote Originally Posted by antk90 View Post
    I got the update in December and after a few days my battery life pretty much went back to normal.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Same here.
    ~Janet~

Takes a few days for the battery to get used to the updates. Every update has been this way on all my Android devices.

Quote Originally Posted by pingb View Post
    I started having battery issues recently on my Maxx. I installed Kit Kat yesterday and it chewed through battery life. In the past, although a pain, I've found it better to install the update, then do a factory reset of the phone. It seems cleaner for the device.

Before doing so, back up photos to dropbox and use SMSbackup+ to backup texts to gmail. It's not as much of a hassle as it could be and I know I'm starting with a fresh install of the new OS.

While I generally agree, I did do a factory data reset about two weeks after I installed KK. It's been just about two weeks since then. It did fix some problems (with the multitasking button and some Bluetooth issues), but battery life is exactly the same. It didn't improve that.

I downloaded KitKat on Tuesday morning. That day, my battery life wasn't as good as usual, but was still plenty good enough to get me through the day. But after a full charge Tuesday night, my battery has been just as good yesterday and today. Maybe even better than it was before the KK update.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

day two and my battery is experiencing a big battery drain. I'm almost down 50% after 8 hours. I'm usually at 80% and i have only 1/4 of my usual apps installed. Ugh. So much for the factory reset. All bloatware has been disabled too.

I used to do pretty much the same on my Galaxy nexus (GSM), and still do when switching ROMs. Do the wipes, flash ROM and Gapps, reboot. Skip the sign in stuff and let it sit powered on for a few minutes. Reboot into recovery, do wipes again and fix permissions, reboot and sign in. Poor Gnex has gotten pretty fussy about flashing stuff lately I used to be able to just factory reset, flash ROM/Gapps, reboot (with sign in) and go.

That being said, CM11 (4.4.2) is the happiest my phone has ever been - including running the factory stock image direct from Google
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile

day two and my battery is experiencing a big battery drain. I'm almost down 50% after 8 hours. I'm usually at 80% and i have only 1/4 of my usual apps installed. Ugh. So much for the factory reset. All bloatware has been disabled too.
    I've been getting similar numbers and updated weeks ago. Very distressing. Seems to be the kernel causing issues. I wish it was an app I could uninstall.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

I'm having better battery life since my phone received the 4.1.32 update to Google play services a couple of days ago. It's basically back to where it was before the kitkat update.

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    I'm having better battery life since my phone received the 4.1.32 update to Google play services a couple of days ago. It's basically back to where it was before the kitkat update.
    The play services update is one of the things I'm concerned is causing my issues! I haven't changed anything else.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

Quote Originally Posted by phathands View Post
    The play services update is one of the things I'm concerned is causing my issues! I haven't changed anything else.

Sent from my DROID MAXX
    Might be time to think about a factory data reset and start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Might be time to think about a factory data reset and start from scratch.
    Yeah, but this is the one area where Android falls short to apple. I would love an easier restore process. It will take weeks to get settings and apps back like I want.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

From the first day I got the Kitkat update on my MAXX, I noticed that I could not enable the "Battery Saver" option in the Battery Settings screen. When I turn it on and either back out or press home then go right back to the battery setting screen, the Battery Saver is turned off. There have been times when I turn it on and it turns off right away.

Anyone else experience this issue?

I think I am going to have to do a factory reset to clear it. My wife's MAXX is not experiencing the same issue as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 3turner View Post
    From the first day I got the Kitkat update on my MAXX, I noticed that I could not enable the "Battery Saver" option in the Battery Settings screen. When I turn it on and either back out or press home then go right back to the battery setting screen, the Battery Saver is turned off. There have been times when I turn it on and it turns off right away.

Anyone else experience this issue?

I think I am going to have to do a factory reset to clear it. My wife's MAXX is not experiencing the same issue as mine.
    Have you disabled moto assist? I've noticed the same thing, but I have moto assist disabled and before the kit kat update, the battery option wasn't even present after disabling moto assist. Now, with kit kat, the switch is there, but it's behaving like you described. The other possibility is that, I believe on jellybean, you couldn't use battery saver until the battery went under a certain amount, so maybe it needs to go lower to use it.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

I updated my Maxx and stuff got a bit wonky. Finally did a factory reset and now everything is smooth and functional again. I should say that I manually reinstall all my apps and settings for the freshest possible experience. The few times I tried backups I ended up bringing some problems back. Unfortunately I still experience the same general bugs that everyone else has like the launcher/home button issue.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    pingb