1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default FoxFi?

Hi Maxx owners, a forum user suggested I post my Ultra question on the Maxx page. I am considering trading in my Droid 2 for an Ultra but don't want to give up my FoxFi. Since the Maxx is the Ultra with 2 batteries I thought maybe someone out there might have some new info (as of mid-January 2014) on whether on not it's possible to load FoxFi on the Ultra. I'm hearing something about a "Kitkat" update but I don't know what that is or how it would affect FoxFi. I am only user-savvy - tech language goes right over my head so any "layman" info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Default Re: FoxFi?

You can find a lot more info by searching wi fi tether or fox fi in these forums. The short version is that there is no easy hack to use fox fi or any tether app on the droids with 4.4 update without doing an extensive hack/root process. Before the update you could one touch root and change the entitlement check to allow free tethering with the grandfathered unlimited plans. If you are on a share everything tiered plan, then you already have tethering. If you get a maxx don't accept any updates if you want free tethering. It will eventually automatically update.

Sent from my DROID MAXX
    Thanked by 2:

I am one of those who has been refusing the KitKat update in order to retain the free hotspot. I am unlimited. The last post alarmed me when it said "it will eventually automatically update"! I am rooted and don't want the update to happen (if it must) while I am rooted. Do I need to unroot to be safe? I thought it wouldn't update unless I told it to first. I am concerned now. HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by rjack22 View Post
    I am one of those who has been refusing the KitKat update in order to retain the free hotspot. I am unlimited. The last post alarmed me when it said "it will eventually automatically update"! I am rooted and don't want the update to happen (if it must) while I am rooted. Do I need to unroot to be safe? I thought it wouldn't update unless I told it to first. I am concerned now. HELP!
    I haven't experienced a forced update personally but others here and on the Motorola forums have. The risk is up to you, I have no good insight on what to do. If you are rooted mostly for the entitlement hack you will retain that post unroot, until the 4.4 update.

I've heard others say fox fi can work via USB or Bluetooth on 4.4, but very slowly.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

I am not sure of this since I read it a long time ago. In the RAZR Max forum someone said the way to update to JB was to unroot the phone. The reason they gave is it checks for the unrooted previous version and if it does not find it, the update will not happen. You may want to check some of the the dev forums or forums here to see if its true. I want to get a Max,but if I cannot keep it from updating in order to use foxfi. Please pm me or post here if you find out.
    THX

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you don't need wireless tethering, or can get by without it, EasyTether works without root in both Jelly Bean and Kit Kit. You tether to the computer via USB cable.

As others said, this is only an issue if you are on or stay on the old "unlimited" data plans.

Posted from my XT1080M
    Current Personal Devices: Droid MAXX XT1080M; Sero 7 Pro
    Previous Personal Devices:
    Compaq HPC / Palm IIIc / Moto Bag Phone / Moto Flip Phone / StarTAC 7860 / StarTAC 7868 / v60s / GZ1 Type V / GZ1 Boulder / Thunderbolt
    Current Work Device: iPhone4
    Previous Work Devices:
    Moto "Lingo" L3000 iDEN / R750 / i355 / i580 + BB 8703 / BB 8830 / BB8330 / i576 + BB 9650 Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    If you don't need wireless tethering, or can get by without it, EasyTether works without root in both Jelly Bean and Kit Kit. You tether to the computer via USB cable.

As others said, this is only an issue if you are on or stay on the old "unlimited" data plans.

Posted from my XT1080M
    The unlimited plans are not the only ones that don't support native WiFi tether.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)