Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  • 1 Post By schwars1
  • 1 Post By vzwuser76
  • 1 Post By JimBen73
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking about getting a NEW DROID MAXX - QUESTIONS

Hello all - I currently have a Galaxy Nexus and I'm looking at upgrading. I've been doing some research and I really seem to like the Droid Maxx with the huge battery. One of the only negatives I've seen so far is the inability to unlock the bootloader. I'm guessing this is why Cyangonmod doesn't have builds for this phone yet (at least what I could find). I'm a little worried about how often Verizon would update the phone, especially if I couldn't root it myself.

Could you all tell me about how you like the phone. Pros and cons?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    7,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Thinking about getting a NEW DROID MAXX - QUESTIONS

The next device down, the Droid Ultra and the Moto X both have developer editions. Neither of those have the giant battery, so you're looking at about 20-24 hours on a charge rather than up to 48 hours. Another choice with a giant battery is the Note 3 and the LG G2, although depending on how you use your device, the G2 may be pretty much the same charge life as the Moto X.

As far as updates go, so far so good, Motorola is doing a great job of supporting their new wave of devices, however the general educated guess in the community is that the MOto X will fare better for the length of time it is getting updates.
    westiewanderer likes this.

I was in your shoes a few months ago. Loved tinkering with my GNex, thought I'd miss it on my Droid MAXX. Turns out were already running Kit Kat and the phone is basically stock. So it was an easy switch. And I have a Nexus 7 if I really want to mess around with Android.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Oh and active notifications. It'll be hard to live without those on a future phone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    sforsyth01 likes this.

There are plenty of pro and con threads here already. I'd just check out a few pages of the forum and you'll find them.

The bootloader will never be unlocked, though there is a developer edition for sale for the phone on Motorola.com that can be unlocked. Just buy that one if that's important to you. The Maxx has a very stock build of android anyway, so I'm not sure that cyanogen mod is all that necessary anyway.

As for updates, who knows? When this phone was released, Verizon and Motorola made a number of promises. They said that there would be fewer droids released, so that people buying didn't feel ripped off weeks later when a better version was released. They said that updates would come faster. They said this phone would continue to get updates. So far, the first two have come true. There haven't been new droid models released in the 5 months since this phone came out. This phone was one of the first phones to get the kitkat update, and has received two otas so far. So, promise number two seems to be coming true. The last we will only know in, say, another year.

If you want to root the phone, and you want the Maxx - get the dev edition. If you want a Verizon phone that is sure to get updated aggressively, get the Moto X instead - that's Motofola's flagship, and will always get updates first. But I'm pretty confident that we'll keep getting updates, about a month or two after the X, at least through whatever the "L" update of Android turns out to be.

It's a great phone. It's not perfect, but it's great. The battery is just fantastic.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I want to go with the Moto X, as I'm afraid the battery will be too small. I had two replaceable batteries with my GNex, so I never experienced a battery issue. I'm really considering the Droid MAXX vs the LG G2. I'm really leaning towards the MAXX but we'll see. Anyone have anything else to change my mind?

If you really like the pure Android look and feel, then probably go for the Maxx, since Motorola's interface is pretty close to pure vanilla Android. The G2 has a somewhat heavy skin--lots of interesting features and fancy animations, but if things like that don't interest you, you might not appreciate them taking up additional storage or CPU cycles (although the G2 is highly powered enough for no one to notice).

Global Posts
    1,391 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I had the g2 before the maxx and ended up staying the maxx. I like the look and feel of stock android that the g2 didn't offer. The battery wasn't to much different between both. The maxx has KitKat already and since Motorola is owned by Google it seems the updates come faster. Not to mention Motorola is good about supporting there devices. Not sure how lg is about support. They both have wireless charging and 32gb installed.

More than likely after having this phone I will get the newer version on it when my update is due. I have no complaints at all. I find it smoother than the g2 was and the active notifications was great.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    The next device down, the Droid Ultra and the Moto X both have developer editions. Neither of those have the giant battery, so you're looking at about 20-24 hours on a charge rather than up to 48 hours. Another choice with a giant battery is the Note 3 and the LG G2, although depending on how you use your device, the G2 may be pretty much the same charge life as the Moto X.

As far as updates go, so far so good, Motorola is doing a great job of supporting their new wave of devices, however the general educated guess in the community is that the MOto X will fare better for the length of time it is getting updates.
    Actually, the Droid Maxx has the developer edition, not the Ultra. I know because I considered picking it up, but decided to go through Verizon because the service support was easier to obtain (instead of having to ship the device off to Motorola). And after price cut Verizon knocked off $100 which I was able to recover due to the 14 day price guarantee. But it's the Maxx that has the Dev edition, not the Ultra.
    phathands likes this.

Global Posts
    7,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
    Actually, the Droid Maxx has the developer edition, not the Ultra. I know because I considered picking it up, but decided to go through Verizon because the service support was easier to obtain (instead of having to ship the device off to Motorola). And after price cut Verizon knocked off $100 which I was able to recover due to the 14 day price guarantee. But it's the Maxx that has the Dev edition, not the Ultra.
    Awesome, glad to be wrong about that. The Ultra and X did seem a little redundant. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jsm1985 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I don't think I want to go with the Moto X, as I'm afraid the battery will be too small. I had two replaceable batteries with my GNex, so I never experienced a battery issue. I'm really considering the Droid MAXX vs the LG G2. I'm really leaning towards the MAXX but we'll see. Anyone have anything else to change my mind?
    The Maxx is good stock, but are you looking to unlock and root only in fear of lack of updates from VZW?

Like others have mentioned, Motorola is committed to their devices moreso than in the past, so in that regard, Moto > LG.

But if you just like to flash custom ROMs then the G2 obviously will be the better option. I always thought you get a lot of bang for your buck with some of LG's stuff, and the G2 for sure (if you can get past it's weird quirks).

Quote Originally Posted by jsm1985 View Post
    I love my maxx, but it does seem like the moto x is less subject to Verizon's whims. The battery isn't nearly as good as the maxx but isn't terrible either.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

Don't think, just get it!

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX
    skatergirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Awesome, glad to be wrong about that. The Ultra and X did seem a little redundant. Thanks!
    I agree, the only thing in the Ultra's favor is a slightly larger screen. Now with Motomaker available on all carriers, the X could have a storage advantage over the Ultra if you opt for the 32GB model.

Quote Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
    I agree, the only thing in the Ultra's favor is a slightly larger screen.
    <satire>You forgot about all of the AWESOME "Droid" notification sounds and Droid Zap!</satire>

I love the 6 to 9 hrs of screen on time with my maxx. If you do get one make sure you buy a motorola Admiral on eBay and use promo code MOTOJB100 for a $100 account credit.

I had the gnex. Constantly switching batteries, flashing ROMS. Then I got the razr maxx hd. That was a great phone too. If I were you I'd search for a decent used one and hold out a few more months then use your upgrade.

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk