Droid MAXX: Trusted Bluetooth Device (Cobra Tag) Behavior after KitKat Update

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a Motorola Oasis BT earbud and a CobraTag. I have had both set up as Trusted Bluetooth devices. I got the CobraTag a few months ago after seeing discussions about it here, and I found one new-in-package at an unclaimed luggage store for about $15. After the KitKat Update, when I would use the Oasis on a phone call, the CobraTag would sound its warning signal that it has lost contact with my Maxx.

I unpaired the CobraTag and uninstalled its app, rebooted, and re-installed the app. Same behavior.

Today, I removed the Oasis from Trusted Device status, and during a call, the CobraTag remained silent.

Still experimenting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Trusted Bluetooth Device (Cobra Tag) Behavior after KitKat Update

The Cobra Tag just randomly disconnects and alarms for me; even after un-pairing and re-pairing it. It's really frustrating, since it worked 100% perfectly before the KitKat update. I haven't gotten around to trying to see what the manufacturers have to say about it.

Just read on their website about resetting the Tag itself. Might be worth a try: "The Cobra Tag can be reset by continuing to hold in the button during power off. Hold in the button for an additional 5 seconds (total of 15) after you see the 3 red blinks of the LED during power off. You will hear a tone indicating it?s been reset."

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Trusted Bluetooth Device (Cobra Tag) Behavior after KitKat Update

Oh, another issue, for those thinking of going the Cobra Tag route: battery longevity. I bought mine in September, and it had a very consistent 6 day battery life. Lately, it's down to not even two full days. I charged mine Monday night to 100% full, took it off the charger Tuesday morning, and 24 hours later (Wednesday morning) it's down to 20%.

I wonder if this is related to KitKat, or just being four months old. I didn't notice such short battery life until just recently, definitely since KitKat. This device has many complaints about battery life only being a day or two, even right out of the box, so who knows for sure. The only reason I think KitKat might be the culprit is that even though KK is supposed to be FitBit compatible, my Fitbit One has suddenly started dieing in just a couple of days since upgrading to KitKat and allowing it to sync with my Maxx.

I guess I'll reset the CobraTag and try it with another phone when I get a chance, it's the only way to rule out being Maxx specific issues or not.

Sal Farina

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I had bluetooth issues after upgrading to kit kat.. in my vehicles it would not want to connect after pairing.. The fix was to make the phone discoverable and pair it from the device instead of adding the radio to the phone.. I hope that makes sense.. Have not had one issue since..

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I decided to disconnect my Cobra Tag and remove their app. It didn't matter whether my Oasis ear bud was a Trusted Device or not. Also, the Cobra Tag was alarming for no apparent reason.

Posted from my XT1080M