Droid MAXX: Battery life suddenly went downhill

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had this phone since it came out and since then the battery has held up very well. In general, I pull it off the charge around 6 in the morning and plug it back in around midnight. When I plug it back it, it's usually in the upper 80% range.
For the last few days it's been diving all the way to 50%. It makes me nervous when I spend the first few months going to bed with it at 90% and now it's at 90% by noon.

I haven't installed anything new (though apps may have updated). Nothing unusual seems to be running (though I can list everything later if that helps).

What I have noticed is that the screen doesn't turn off on it's own anymore and I have a feeling that it's draining the battery. Often times I'll pull it out of my pocket to find the screen on and have to wonder if I just bumped the button now or if it's from when I made a call a half hour ago.

So A)is anyone else suddenly having battery issues and more importantly B)Does anyone else know how to get the screen to turn off by itself?
FTR, I haven't changed any settings on it recently and this didn't just start with KitKat, it started a few days ago.

I just tried something while I was typing this, I hit the power button on the phone, but didn't unlock it. The screen never shut back off. I have it set to sleep after 1 minute. I guess that's why the battery is draining. I know if I unlock it and leave it alone (just recently), the screen will dim, but not shut off, but I see now, if I hit the power button the screen never shuts back off either. The battery's probably been draining because it's been lit up in my pocket all day long from bumping the power button.

Anyone have any idea how to fix that? Otherwise I'll run it to the VZW store tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

CMac o

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Battery life suddenly went downhill

Just to clarify u should NEVER charge a phone with atleast 50% in it unless you need to (Like plugging it in to a PC). First, make sure you charge the phone at 20% (0% if you can). This will stop further damage being done to the battery. Try using Battery Doctor. See if it helps. Also what is the name of the phone you have.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

That advice about not plugging in above 50% is not great advice, in my opinion. See How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University for advice from an engineer. Based on that, your battery will last longer with smaller discharge cycles rather than larger ones or half discharges.

Yes, I have noticed that I get more battery drain with KitKat. I would suggest, though, that you consider doing a factory data reset and rebuild the phone. It's never a bad thing to do after a major android upgrade.

That said, going through a full day with 50% battery left is probably quite adequate.

Also, do check settings / display / sleep and see if that is set to a reasonable level. Mine is set to one minute. Mine definitely sleeps after a minute left untouched, though I almost always turn it off with the power button.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I've been experiencing excessive battery drain the last few days. Nothing new on my part (no new apps, usual usage and environment). Perhaps google updated something. I make it through the day with the big battery, but the last few days I'm ending at 25% instead of the 60% I was used to.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I've had this phone since it came out and since then the battery has held up very well. In general, I pull it off the charge around 6 in the morning and plug it back in around midnight. When I plug it back it, it's usually in the upper 80% range.
For the last few days it's been diving all the way to 50%. It makes me nervous when I spend the first few months going to bed with it at 90% and now it's at 90% by noon.

I haven't installed anything new (though apps may have updated). Nothing unusual seems to be running (though I can list everything later if that helps).

What I have noticed is that the screen doesn't turn off on it's own anymore and I have a feeling that it's draining the battery. Often times I'll pull it out of my pocket to find the screen on and have to wonder if I just bumped the button now or if it's from when I made a call a half hour ago.

So A)is anyone else suddenly having battery issues and more importantly B)Does anyone else know how to get the screen to turn off by itself?
FTR, I haven't changed any settings on it recently and this didn't just start with KitKat, it started a few days ago.

I just tried something while I was typing this, I hit the power button on the phone, but didn't unlock it. The screen never shut back off. I have it set to sleep after 1 minute. I guess that's why the battery is draining. I know if I unlock it and leave it alone (just recently), the screen will dim, but not shut off, but I see now, if I hit the power button the screen never shuts back off either. The battery's probably been draining because it's been lit up in my pocket all day long from bumping the power button.

Anyone have any idea how to fix that? Otherwise I'll run it to the VZW store tomorrow.

Check your battery stats. If the screen is using up a lot of the battery and has been running for a long time, then that's what's causing it. Set your screen to turn off after 30 seconds to a minute of inactivity, and that issue should be resolved.
Posting screenshots of your battery stats would be very helpful if you want us to find out what's causing the drain :)

Posted via Android Central App

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

I probably should have just completely rewritten my OP when I figured out the problem. I'm quite sure the cause of the battery drain is the screen staying on. All it takes is me bumping it in my pocket and it could be on for who knows how long. This also explains all those times I pulled it out of my pocket to find it on the unlock screen or or wondered how I managed to unlock it by accident.

Just testing it now I hit the power button, but didn't swipe it 7 minutes ago, and it's still sitting there lit up (it dimmed, but didn't turn off).
It's set to sleep after one minute.
I see that the longest time you can set it for is ten minutes. I'm going to try letting it go for ten minutes and see if that does anything.

mdvf121

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Have you powered off or done a simulated battery pull (hold volume down and power button for a few seconds until phone reboots)?

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

I reset it a few days ago, but I just tried the 'volume down/power button' thing which brought me to a boot screen. I select Normal Boot, and everything seems to be working. If I hit the power button, the screen only stays lit for a few seconds and the 'normal' screen times out after a minute like it's supposed to.

I suspect my battery tomorrow will go down much slower then it has been for the last few days. Must have just been some kind of glitch.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

I reset it a few days ago, but I just tried the 'volume down/power button' thing which brought me to a boot screen. I select Normal Boot, and everything seems to be working. If I hit the power button, the screen only stays lit for a few seconds and the 'normal' screen times out after a minute like it's supposed to.

I suspect my battery tomorrow will go down much slower then it has been for the last few days. Must have just been some kind of glitch.

If you get the sense your screen is staying on, why don't you check your battery stats to see if the screen was actually on for an inordinate amount of time? How much screen time do you usually average? If you check the screen time and it was noticeably on longer than you actually used it, then clearly the fact that the screen not turning off like it's supposed to is the root of problem.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Okay first check to see if there is a sync issue with your Google account. (settings - Google - click act) check if there is any red circles or a stuck circle.

Next, assuming that you are on KK, go to build number in system settings and click build number 7 times. This will unlock developer options. Go to the new menu, and find Process Stats. It's Google's built in wake lock detector. Mess with the settings and see if you find your culprit.

If all else fails... And yes, nobody wants to hear it, perform a factory reset.

GL and report your findings.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

I think the bigger question is how were you making it 18 hours (6 AM to midnight) with only 10% batter drain. That's like airplane mode, not being touched, level battery drain.

The numbers you're posting now sound more in line with what I've seen elsewhere, unless you're an ultra light, barely touch it kind of user.

if you can read this, you're standing too close

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the bigger question is how were you making it 18 hours (6 AM to midnight) with only 10% batter drain. That's like airplane mode, not being touched, level battery drain.

The numbers you're posting now sound more in line with what I've seen elsewhere, unless you're an ultra light, barely touch it kind of user.

Even without airplane mode, if he doesn't use it, he could get that kind of battery drain. The Maxx has insane battery life :p

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, to reply to some of the posts.
I checked Google Account and there is a sync error, but I'm not sure what I can do about it. I did try putting the phone in Airplane mode, and the screen still stayed on.

I went in Dev Options/Process Stats, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for there. The only thing that jumped out at me is that Facebook says 100% so I killed it but, again, the screen stayed on (even in Airplane mode).

I'm not all that interested in doing a full reset just yet. Before I try that, I hold on. At the very least I'd like to run up to the VZW store and see if they have a quick fix or wait and see if there's a problem with an app that recently auto-updated and maybe they'll put out a fix soon.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Okay, to reply to some of the posts.
I checked Google Account and there is a sync error, but I'm not sure what I can do about it. I did try putting the phone in Airplane mode, and the screen still stayed on.

I went in Dev Options/Process Stats, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for there. The only thing that jumped out at me is that Facebook says 100% so I killed it but, again, the screen stayed on (even in Airplane mode).

I'm not all that interested in doing a full reset just yet. Before I try that, I hold on. At the very least I'd like to run up to the VZW store and see if they have a quick fix or wait and see if there's a problem with an app that recently auto-updated and maybe they'll put out a fix soon.

A ha. There ya go. The sync error destroys battery. What category is the sync error for? And don't go to the Verizon store, they are idiots. We can help you right here and we won't lie to you and try to BS you. Facebook takes a lot of battery, much more than Instagram does. I actually removed FB from my phone. I just check it on the computer from time to time.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Even without airplane mode, if he doesn't use it, he could get that kind of battery drain. The Maxx has insane battery life :p

Yes battery life is great on the maxx, but 10% drain in 18 hours with actual use is either an error in the battery's reporting or there is some serious radio management tuning / background data restriction (greenify).

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes battery life is great on the maxx, but 10% drain in 18 hours with actual use is either an error in the battery's reporting or there is some serious radio management tuning / background data restriction (greenify).

I doubt he's using it much. He says he usually plugs in at night with battery in the high 80s or low 90s. Sounds to me like he just likes having a full battery at all times and only uses it when it's absolutely necessary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith