Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google search battery drain

The last 2 days I've noticed my battery drain a little worse than usual.

When I check the battery stats, my Google search is listed despite not using it much.

Yesterday, under "keep awake" under battery stats, it was listed as kept awake for 4 hours, and my phone was only off the charger for 4 hours, so it was basically kept awake the entire time.

I've never noticed this before, but is this normal, or is anybody else noticing this?

Also, my corporate email seems to be kept awake longer than I've actually used it so just curious if this is all normal.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Google search battery drain

Have you cleared cache for Search?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes

Do you ever use Google Now? I wonder if it is location tracking? You can turn that off if you don't use it. Settings / location. Go to the bottom, "Google Location Reporting". Turn off "Location Reporting" and "Location History" (or at least the history) for each Google acct on the phone. (Unless, of course, you use the Google Now cards.)
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Do you ever use Google Now? I wonder if it is location tracking? You can turn that off if you don't use it. Settings / location. Go to the bottom, "Google Location Reporting". Turn off "Location Reporting" and "Location History" (or at least the history) for each Google acct on the phone. (Unless, of course, you use the Google Now cards.)
    Sorry, should have clarified. I usually keep my location tracking off, and it's been off this whole time. Since this morning, I cleared cache for all apps and rebooted my phone. It seems to have stopped. I use Google Search/Now every once in a while, maybe a couple times a day, but I've never noticed it kept awake like this before. Maybe it was something with another app that was somehow keeping it from sleeping. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by beeare View Post
    Sorry, should have clarified. I usually keep my location tracking off, and it's been off this whole time. Since this morning, I cleared cache for all apps and rebooted my phone. It seems to have stopped. I use Google Search/Now every once in a while, maybe a couple times a day, but I've never noticed it kept awake like this before. Maybe it was something with another app that was somehow keeping it from sleeping. Who knows?

Is there any chance that you can upload a screenshot of the battery meter?

Posted via my DROID MAXX
    Rooted and flashed: HTC EVO 4, Motorola Photon 4, Motorola Razr Maxx, and Nexus 7
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by mvp4him3 View Post
    Is there any chance that you can upload a screenshot of the battery meter?

Posted via my DROID MAXX
    Unfortunately I tried to eliminate the problem right away by rebooting and clearing the cache, and did not take a screen shot. Since then, it hasn't seemed to be a problem, and as a result, it no longer shows up in the battery stats. If it happens again, I'll certainly take a screen shot. It basically just showed up as one of the apps that was high on battery drain. Then when I pressed the app for app info, it showed that it was kept awake for the entire 4 plus hours that my phone had been off the charger. It was while I was sleeping, so my phone was completely idol, yet it went down 7% in those 4 hours (all on 4G). Generally when I pull my phone off the charger in the middle of the night and let it sit until I wake up, it loses 1% maximum, often nothing at all. In this case my battery was down to 93%, and at that point, I remembered that I also saw Google search high on battery stats the day before, despite not using it much. Unfortunately I didn't check to see if it was kept awake that day the whole day either, but my phone did die abnormally fast the day before, so this could definitely have been the issue.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I also noticed this, this morning. My WIFI isn't even on but it seems to be using a lot of battery and says awake for the whole time my phones been unplugged.

Is this normal?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google search battery drain-1391431564879.jpg   Google search battery drain-1391431577030.jpg  
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Is it normal for wifi to stay running even if wifi isn't on?

Is it normal for wifi to stay running even if wifi isn't on?

Stupid question, is your wifi actually turned off or is it just not connected to a wifi source? If it is actually still on but not connected it will be searching for a wifi signal continuously.

T

Quote Originally Posted by tyro-n-tequila View Post
    Stupid question, is your wifi actually turned off or is it just not connected to a wifi source? If it is actually still on but not connected it will be searching for a wifi signal continuously.

T
    I leave Wi-Fi on and it doesn't drain my battery

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

I also noticed this, this morning. My WIFI isn't even on but it seems to be using a lot of battery and says awake for the whole time my phones been unplugged.

Is this normal?
    You used only 6% in 4.5 hours - that's pretty low. Remember that those battery stats always add up to 100%, so something has to take up the battery.

Those charts you are showing do not show that the phone is awake - just that the WiFi radio was on since you last unplugged. So, yes, that's normal. To get awake, you tap the battery graph, where you can see when the phone was awake - there is a special section for that on that chart.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

You used only 6% in 4.5 hours - that's pretty low. Remember that those battery stats always add up to 100%, so something has to take up the battery.

Those charts you are showing do not show that the phone is awake - just that the WiFi radio was on since you last unplugged. So, yes, that's normal. To get awake, you tap the battery graph, where you can see when the phone was awake - there is a special section for that on that chart.
    I've had this phone for 6 months and this is atypical for me. If you see from the screen shot, it says wifi running for the whole time my phone was off the charger, but I didn't have wifi on at all. It was running on 4g the whole time. I turned on airplane mode and turned it back off to see if it would stop it from running and then I checked the battery stats again, and it was not running for a whole hour. Then I turned wifi for a sec and turned it back off to see if it would run for a sec and then stop. For some reason, even though I turned it off, it's now been running for the whole hour plus since I turned it on for a second.
    [

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Again, one only has wifi on literally a minute or so

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google search battery drain-1391445874185.jpg  

I've had this phone for 6 months and this is atypical for me. If you see from the screen shot, it says wifi running for the whole time my phone was off the charger, but I didn't have wifi on at all. It was running on 4g the whole time.
    When you said that you didn't have WiFi on at all, do you mean it wasn't connected to an access point or the radio was switched off in settings / WiFi? If the radio is on, it's on. That WiFi bar in the graph does not show active connections to an access point, but the radio actually turned on. That's the way my graph *always* looks, and always has since I had the phone. (Also notice the awake graph from your display - the WiFi radio is not keeping the phone awake.)

Second, settings / WiFi. Tap the menu control on the bottom right and choose "Advanced". From that display, do you have "Scanning always available" turned on? That allows Android to use your WiFi radio for location triangulation of known WiFi access points.

See my attached screenshot from October, when the phone had 4.2.2. The WiFi bar is on for the whole time, though I was not connected to WiFi that whole time.

Google search battery drain-2013-10-13-00.12.45-1.png

ROM
    Kang/CM10

The last 2 days I've noticed my battery drain a little worse than usual.

When I check the battery stats, my Google search is listed despite not using it much.

Yesterday, under "keep awake" under battery stats, it was listed as kept awake for 4 hours, and my phone was only off the charger for 4 hours, so it was basically kept awake the entire time.

I've never noticed this before, but is this normal, or is anybody else noticing this?

Also, my corporate email seems to be kept awake longer than I've actually used it so just curious if this is all normal.

9 times out of 10 if you maintain a relatively clean cache on your phone and you still experience battery drain, it may be due to the Cell signal. The phone amps out more power when there is a lower signal. Therefore, the battery drains a lot quicker.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by SeigaGen View Post
    9 times out of 10 if you maintain a relatively clean cache on your phone and you still experience battery drain, it may be due to the Cell signal. The phone amps out more power when there is a lower signal. Therefore, the battery drains a lot quicker.
    Yes, understood.

Should my wifi show as running even if I'm not on wifi? That just seems weird, and I don't think that my phone has been doing that until yesterday.

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Yes. As long as the radio is enabled, it is on. You'd have to physically turn off WiFi in the settings. WiFi, when on, is continuously pinging your available networks until it connects. This feature is very low powered by the way. It shouldn't drain your battery quickly.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by SeigaGen View Post
    Yes. As long as the radio is enabled, it is on. You'd have to physically turn off WiFi in the settings. WiFi, when on, is continuously pinging your available networks until it connects. This feature is very low powered by the way. It shouldn't drain your battery quickly.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
    That's my point. My WIFI was physically turned off in all those screen shots. That's why I don't understand why it's listed as running.

I always have my wifi on so I cant say if that is normal or not. But I turned mine off and will leave it off over night and tomorrow I'll post back my result for comparison.

T

That's my point. My WIFI was physically turned off in all those screen shots.
    Did you check the advanced settings of WiFi? If so, was "Scanning always available" turned on? See my post above, #15. I think if you have that turned on, the WiFi radio will be kept available for location services, even if you have the WiFi radio switched off. And, not to sound like a broken record, but if you have *not* switched the radio off in settings / WiFi, then it will also be listed as on, even if you are not connected to an access point.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Did you check the advanced settings of WiFi? If so, was "Scanning always available" turned on? See my post above, #15. I think if you have that turned on, the WiFi radio will be kept available for location services, even if you have the WiFi radio switched off. And, not to sound like a broken record, but if you have *not* switched the radio off in settings / WiFi, then it will also be listed as on, even if you are not connected to an access point.
    Just confirming, this means my wifi radio is off right?

Also, I've had location services turned off the entire time.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google search battery drain-1391487298891.jpg  
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by RaHarmakis View Post
    I'm hoping for the AT&T Radio Bands AWS carriers are all but usless to me here in Canada... I'll wait till I see the spec sheet to see if it's worth replacing my beloved Nexus 1...
    This is how I have my wifi settings configured.

This morning, when I first noticed the problem, I changed the "wifi always on during sleep", to never. Prior to that, it was on always.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google search battery drain-1391487515129.jpg  
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

As you can see from this screen shot, at a certain point, the wifi stopped running, which I think is normal when the wifi is turned off in the settings.

I want to clarify that when the graph says it was running toward the latter half of the day, my wifi was on and actually running, because that is when I got home, however at all points before that last period my wifi was literally turned off the entire time, except for about 1 minute when I was testing something out.

I don't understand why it was stuck running in the beginning of the day, but it seems to have stopped for now.

Hopefully somebody can shed some light. I'll send an update in the morning, but I'm starting to believe there was something weird going on this morning despite clearing the cache and rebooting.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google search battery drain-1391487806011.jpg  

I would say that something is odd with your wifi connection. Here are my screen shots from this morning, I turned off my wifi about 12 hours ago.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google search battery drain-1391517867592.jpg   Google search battery drain-1391517886294.jpg  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast