Droid MAXX: Google and Isis wallets working great!

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I was curious to see how ISIS worked at McDonald's so I stopped there for lunch earlier today. As promised, ISIS is now working at McDonalds.... :)

I also made a trip to Home Depot and used Google Wallet at a check-out that was staffed by an HD employee and the transaction worked perfectly. The last time I was at HD I tried to use ISIS and the transaction failed. Based on my experience, Google Wallet works 100% of the time at HD if you're using a check-out that's staffed by an HD employee. Google Wallet doesn't work on the self check-out registers at HD and ISIS doesn't work on anything at HD.

As an observation, the Google Wallet transactions seem faster and provide more reassurance that the system is working to process the payment. ISIS, by contrast, doesn't provide the same level of feedback and I'm often left wondering for a few seconds if the payment is going to process.

On a somewhat related note, I checked into a hotel last week and was impressed to see that the room keys used NFC technology. I was too tired to see if I could copy the NFC file to my phone but I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible.

On a totally unrelated note, while I was eating my lunch at McDonald's I saw a poster promoting their new "McD App" so I thought I'd check it out. I found the app on Google Play and downloaded it. The app was completely worthless in my opinion. All the app offered was a feature to find the nearest McDonald's (which was much slower than using Google Voice Search), a section with nutrient information and a career section. I removed the app after I read a few reviews on Google Play that confirmed my feeling that the app didn't offer much value.

I thought it was surprising that a company as large as McDonald's would publish such a worthless app. I'm sure there app will improve over time but it's quite clear that McDonald's has a long ways to go.

wnconnect

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I just got the Motorola RAZR Maxx but I can't find the Isis App on Google Play. I tried downloading via the web, but it says the Motorola RAZR maxx is not compatible. I have an NFC sim. Any tips on how you were able to get ISIS mobile wallet on the Maxx? thanks in advance

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I just got the Motorola RAZR Maxx but I can't find the Isis App on Google Play. I tried downloading via the web, but it says the Motorola RAZR maxx is not compatible. I have an NFC sim. Any tips on how you were able to get ISIS mobile wallet on the Maxx? thanks in advance

You say you got the Razr Maxx? That is not the same as the newer Droid Maxx. Did you just inadvertently put Razr in the name ? If not, and that is really what you have, that would explain why Isis isn't compatible. The new Droid phones dropped the Razr moniker.

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
When you go to the play store and look for the Isis Mobile Wallet, It warns that you need both a compatible phone (with NFC), AND a new NFC-compatible Enhanced SIM which supports a "secure element". I have the SIM that came with my phone, but I went ahead and installed the app on my Droid Maxx, and did all the setup, added and validated a credit card, and it seems perfectly happy. I haven't yet actually tried to do a purchase, but I would have thought that if there was an authentication problem due to the SIM, I would have seen it already. What am I missing here?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
When you go to the play store and look for the Isis Mobile Wallet, It warns that you need both a compatible phone (with NFC), AND a new NFC-compatible Enhanced SIM which supports a "secure element". I have the SIM that came with my phone, but I went ahead and installed the app on my Droid Maxx, and did all the setup, added and validated a credit card, and it seems perfectly happy. I haven't yet actually tried to do a purchase, but I would have thought that if there was an authentication problem due to the SIM, I would have seen it already. What am I missing here?

You're not missing anything. The Maxx comes with a secure-element SIM.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I've used ISIS and GW at approximately 10 retailers (CVS, Walgreen's, 7-11, Home Depot, Exxon, vending machines, McDonalds, etc). Its all or nothing with tap to pay. Either it works or it doesn't. I have not encountered a vender where ISIS worked but GW did not work (& vice versa). All the vendors listed above worked flawlessly accept for 7-11 (the employees are clueless) and Home Depot (works with cashier only. Self check out doesn't work). I am using ISIS more now only because they are offering discounts for every purchase.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
So what's up with the new permissions for the Isis app? Is this a new tactic to block use of Google wallet?

I don't think the new ISIS permissions are intended to impact Google Wallet.

I updated to the new ISIS app and I can still use Google Wallet. In fact, I processed NFC payments on my Maxx three times today - twice with ISIS and once with Google Wallet.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Love my Isis wallet! I only use google wallet very infrequently, IE on public transportation.

But Isis and Amex Serve is pretty nifty. You can transfer money back and forth on a bank account. Use check image capture to deposit checks.

My favorite is all the deals. I have gotten almost $200 in free money just by using it! And this month, each time I buy a drink from mcdonalds (usually $1.09), Isis will credit me $1!

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
ISIS not working after most recent app update?

I accepted an ISIS app update about a week ago and the last two times I've tried to use ISIS at McDonalds the transactions failed.

When the ISIS transaction failed today I switched to Google Wallet and the transaction went through - so I'm guessing the problem is not hardware related.

Anyone else have a problem with ISIS since the most recent app update?

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: ISIS not working after most recent app update?

I thought I'd update this thread with two rather small changes I've noticed over the past week or so.

First, Home Depot has changed their system and I am now able to use Google Wallet at a Self-Serve check out. Previously Google Wallet only worked at a staffed HD check out. (ISIS, now Soft Card, has never worked for me at any HD check out.)

Second, it appears that returned merchandise now gets credited to your Google Wallet balance and not the card that you used for the original transaction.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: ISIS not working after most recent app update?

Seriously? I don't like that at all if true.

I recently finished up several projects and had a few returns I needed to make at Home Depot.

The screenshot below shows that the returns I made on 10/09/14 were credited back to my Visa card ending in 2605 but the most recent return for $4.73 was credited to my "Wallet Balance." The only reason I even noticed was because I was surprised to see that I had a Wallet Balance.

Screenshot_2014-10-13-20-30-23.png
For what it's worth I have noticed that it takes a couple of days before a return at Home Depot shows up as a credit on Google Wallet - maybe it's easier for Google to handle returns this way since it won't involve communicating with the credit card companies? Or maybe my situation is unique and there's another explanation?

I'll update this thread if the Wallet Balance credit of $4.73 gets flipped back to my Visa card but I'm betting that it won't.

Last edited:

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I just tried Google Wallet tonight at a Home Depot store in Sherwood, Oregon. The self checkout failed.

Thanks for updating the thread with the latest info regarding Home Depot.

I went to a Home Depot in the Phoenix area this afternoon and also verified that Google Wallet no longer works at the self check-out. It first appeared that the Google Wallet payment would be accepted but then a message popped up on the HD terminal indicating that an Attendant needed to assist with the transaction.

I have no idea why Home Depot would block Google Wallet on the self check-out terminals, then allow it and then block it again. One step forward and one step back. :'(

On a semi-related note, I miss the $1/charge incentive that Softcard was issuing last year - I wonder if they will reinstate that program for 2015?

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for updating the thread with the latest info regarding Home Depot.

I have no idea why Home Depot would block Google Wallet on the self check-out terminals, then allow it and then block it again. One step forward and one step back. :'(

I'm glad this thread keeps going, but it's sad there are so many variations with Home Depot and Google Wallet! Just went to a HD in Salem, Oregon, and was declined at a manned check-out station. The message on his terminal read something like, "Unable to accept form of payment, please swipe card." Will try again this week.

Unfortunately, clerks are not trained up or informed enough to let me know definitively if Google Wallet has been blocked, so I sent an email to HD themselves and filled out a survey (from the bottom of the receipt) with every opportunity taken to bash the decision to block Google Wallet (if that is the case).

Someone else please try HD in your area and report back.

TJH

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Update: Reply to my email to Home Depot concerning non-functioning mobile payments.

"Hello Mr. Halfman,

I am deeply sorry that you were not able to use Google Pay in our
stores; I understand how this could be frustrating.

At this time, we are evaluating the new mobile payment methods. Until
further notice, we are continuing with the traditional payment methods
of cash, card, check, etc. We do accept PayPal at this time, so this
payment form can be used as an alternate protective form of payment if
you do not want to use your personal debit cards or credit cards.

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a valued Home Depot
customer.

You reference number is 53xxxxx

Thank you,

Jasmine Grady
The Home Depot ? Store Support Center ? Customer Service Customers
FIRST!
Resolution Expeditor"

Posted via Android Central App

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update concerning Home Depot. Based on the response you received it sounds like Home Depot has disabled Google Wallet at all of their checkouts - both staffed and self-serve.

The next time I'm at HD here in the Phoenix area I'll check it out. I was there a week or so ago and was going to use Google Wallet at a staffed checkout but there was an old couple in front of me that was moving at a glacial pace. I was right next to the self-serve checkout and used that instead - and as before, Google Wallet didn't work at the self-serve check out.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
On a semi-related note, I miss the $1/charge incentive that Softcard was issuing last year - I wonder if they will reinstate that program for 2015?

I guess I shouldn't be holding my breathe.....

The last thing I read concerning Softcard is they had laid off the majority of their staff and told their remaining employees not to start on any new projects. The rumors were that Google was going to buy Softcard for dimes on the dollar - mostly for patents that they hold.

I genuinely disliked ISIS/Softcard because of the heavy hand the carriers used to block Google Wallet, but I have to admit I got a lot of free stuff and money back from using ISIS/Softcard so I guess I can't complain too loudly. :p