• 1 Post By Cincybearcatfan
  • 1 Post By skatergirl
  • 1 Post By gabbott
  • 1 Post By SeigaGen
  • 1 Post By VDub2174
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Lovin' My Phone

Default What I love about Google Hangouts

I don't use Google Hangouts as my default texting app because it does not have the same features as Handcent and the emojis are not as nice, but what I do like about Hangouts is that I can text nieces and nephews who don't have phones but do have tablets and it is great for group texting.
    Last edited by skatergirl; 02-04-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    ~Janet~
    VDub2174 likes this.

Global Posts
    4,501 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Default Re: What I love about Google Hangouts

Hangouts is great for that sort of thing
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

skatergirl likes this.

Global Posts
    13,913 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I am curious as to where Google is taking Hangouts as the standard texting app, and where they are going to go with Voice.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    skatergirl likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Lovin' My Phone

It would have been very helpful for me had I known all the Hangout features in September. My sister and I were getting ready to board a plane in New Jersey to come back to Phoenix and my mom took a spill in the Phoenix area. My sister and I both purchased the wifi for the flight, but were using gmail to go back and forth with my brother in New Jersey regarding our mom. Hangouts would have worked great for what we were doing.
    ~Janet~

Hangouts is still kind of iffy with me. I will wait to see what they do with it before I keep using it.

Posted via my DROID MAXX
    Rooted and flashed: HTC EVO 4, Motorola Photon 4, Motorola Razr Maxx, and Nexus 7

Global Posts
    13,913 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    It would have been very helpful for me had I known all the Hangout features in September. My sister and I were getting ready to board a plane in New Jersey to come back to Phoenix and my mom took a spill in the Phoenix area. My sister and I both purchased the wifi for the flight, but were using gmail to go back and forth with my brother in New Jersey regarding our mom. Hangouts would have worked great for what we were doing.
    Well at least you know about it now. True would have been better then. Hope your mom is doing ok.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    skatergirl likes this.

, or at more likely at the next Android release (Licorice?) you will see a more complete Hangouts app. I think you will then see the integration of Google Voice, Google Talk, SMS, and MMS. I for one will be glad to see all of this combined.

My hope is that they will combine Hangouts messages with SMS/MMS all into one thread instead of two different threads like they are now. It's frustrating to have a Hangouts thread and SMS/MMS thread for my wife. Why can't those be the same thread? Just show a little SMS/MMS or H above each message to show how it was sent. If Apple can do this with it's messenger app Google should be able to do the same.
    Thanked by:
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock (for now)

I use hangouts to MMS because it sends through WiFi when available. I haven't flipped the switch yet to let it handle my SMS. I use SwiftKey beta with Emoji support along with the stock Messaging app. I'm content with the setup that I have so far.

I made the switch a long time ago. I use Hangouts fully for messaging. I do wish it I could select a recipient, type a message and press send and Hangouts would send via a Hangout if the other person had Hangouts or send SMS if they did not.
    Masheen likes this.
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Cincybearcatfan View Post
    I made the switch a long time ago. I use Hangouts fully for messaging. I do wish it I could select a recipient, type a message and press send and Hangouts would send via a Hangout if the other person had Hangouts or send SMS if they did not.
    Yes! Goo call! I was hoping that they would implement this sooner. This is the separation between iPhone messaging and Hangouts. I also don't like how I had two conversations for the same person; one for their hangouts act, and one for the sms. Google needs a little bit more tweaking to perfect this great app.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Well at least you know about it now. True would have been better then. Hope your mom is doing ok.
    Yes, it is great that I know about it now. And thank you, yes, my mom is doing well. She was hurting for about a month, but all is well now.
    ~Janet~
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

I really like hangouts for instant messaging. I can seamless switch between phone, tablet, and laptop. If you have chrome installed on your desktop/laptop computer try installing the hangouts app:

skatergirl likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Lovin' My Phone

I am enjoying all the responses. I am happy that I don't have to use Hangouts as my default messenger app, but I can still text through a Hangout.

What I like about Handcent that Hangouts does not have is a time delay in sending a text and it has scheduled texts, as well as a large selection of skins. I am sure most of us have sent the wrong person a text. The time delay gives you a chance to stop a message from going out. Also, Handcent uses the iPhone emojis, which in my opinion are much nicer than the emojis used by Hangouts/Google.

And on the subject of Google Plus, I am so happy finally iPhones can be seen in Locations. They were seen in Latitude and it took Google quite some time before Locations worked like Latitude and included iPhones.
    ~Janet~

I don't use Hangouts only because there is no option for contact specific notifications.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ROM
    Kang/CM10

I have only one gripe with Hangouts. It needs to combine SMS messages and Hangout messages when talking to the same person.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1
    Cincybearcatfan likes this.

Global Posts
    4,501 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

I still don't use Hangouts as my MMS app because of OCD issues.....lol