Upgrade fee: What a load of crap, Verizon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cootiesboy

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: What a load of crap, Verizon....

I was one of "those" people, but Verizon clamped down way too hard. Having to buy every phone outright is ridiculous just to "keep unlimited data" It's a great novelty, but the money that you save by switching to the edge plan outweighs unlimited data. Having brand new devices the day it comes out and only having to pay half to turn it in to get a new device is killer. How much data do you use anyway. WiFi is everywhere. Optimum Wifi, Xfinity, TWC.

"Those of you" who abuse data and use more than 4gb a month is the reason why Verizon cracked down on data in the first place. Unlimited is a thing of the past. The money that you save from the edge plan or switching to family plans dwarfs your savings. You lose your title, worse things have happened.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/804289

You should read this thread because it seems that the edge plan is not as good as you think it is. People, if you still have unlimited, hold on to it till Verizon takes it away from you or do extensive research to find the best plan for you instead of relying on what the company say because they are trying to make money, they don't plan on helping you save money.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

No carrier wants to save you any money. They charge whatever they feel they can get a way with. Its a business not a charity. T-mobile has certainly shaken up the industry, but when your 4th out of 4 carriers, you have to think outside of the box.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

What Exactly are they HIDING? Its common knowledge and written in the "Contract" you signed that there is an UPGRADE Fee! It also said in PLAIN PRINT "No Activation FEE".. Which is not an upgrade fee! VERIZON did nothing wrong...

Its like the episode of South Park where Apple CEO binds everyone together and says you can't be unbound because you DIDNT READ THE CONTRACT

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

People, if you still have unlimited, hold on to it till Verizon takes it away from you or do extensive research to find the best plan for you instead of relying on what the company say because they are trying to make money, they don't plan on helping you save money.
Heck yeah! Amen!

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/804289

You should read this thread because it seems that the edge plan is not as good as you think it is. People, if you still have unlimited, hold on to it till Verizon takes it away from you or do extensive research to find the best plan for you instead of relying on what the company say because they are trying to make money, they don't plan on helping you save money.

The point was that unlimited data is excessive, especially if you have to keep buying phones at full price. Nowadays, 18 months is the lifespan of a phone before starting to become obsolete. $650 every 18 months to keep unlimited data is hardly worth it. Unlimited data is unnecessary. You shouldn't use more than 4gb a month, and if you're tethering your home PC instead of paying for a modem then you're a pos. With the abundant sources of free WiFi all around us, and if you have WiFi at your home and office there is no reason to even have the need for unlimited.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

The point was that unlimited data is excessive, especially if you have to keep buying phones at full price. In 18 months nowadays is the lifespan of a phone before becoming severely outdated. $650 every 18 months to keep unlimited data is hardly worth it. Unlimited data is unnecessary. You shouldn't use more than 4gb a month, and if you're tethering your home PC instead of paying for a modem then you're a pos. With the abundant sources of free WiFi all around us, and if you have WiFi at your home and office there is no reason to even have the need for unlimited.

I use my phone as my GPS navigator in a Motorola windshield mount all the time when I travel and that, combined with other dates usage, can get me well above 4 GB. It's not every month, but it's often enough to make it worthwhile to try to keep it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Unlimited data is unnecessary.
If it is unnecessary for you, feel free to give it up. I advise you to sell your Verizon UDP rather than giving it up, though; you can make several hundred dollars by selling it.

I will be keeping my UDP, thank you very much!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Wow, so I should believe you rather than my own eyes. GFY.

Is there an ignore feature on these forums?

Yes, accessed from your profile page. I had to go into web view with Chrome to find it, but it was worth the trouble. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I use the hell out of my phone, and Without having that SD CARD Slow on my Droid DNA.. I use Google PLAY Music to stream all my music and spotify plus Youtube when i am not at home and i still don't use more then 3gigs.. I still don't need unlimited, and i am one of 2 lilnes that Share 4gigs

Nicohlay

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

I thought so too. Some people come across that way without even realizing it.....

Glad I wasn't the only one. There's a big difference in having an informative discussion, like letting someone know that they may have misunderstood a fee, and being an outright jerk with your opinions

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

you can still get subsidized phones and keep your UDP. Research it.

I have done some research on this since you mentioned it to me a few days ago. The only ways according to reps on the phone and in their forums is to 1. Pay full retail, 2. Buy the phone using their device payment plan (not the Edge plan, but one where basically you finance it over 24 months and pay a $2 fee per month, and no upgrading until it's paid off), or 3. Buy the phone somewhere besides Verizon (eBay, craigslist, swappa, etc).

The one thing they state during every discussion is that you cannot keep unlimited if you upgrade at promo pricing (in other words, using subsidized pricing). There was a lot of news when their computers messed up and let people keep unlimited when they upgraded a few months back, and later Verizon said they would honor that, but otherwise their is no way to upgrade through Verizon and keep your UDP without paying full retail or financing it (which ends up being full retail + $24 in fees for financing).

Some people may have gotten lucky and got a CSR to let them keep it, but officially you can't.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

I have done some research on this since you mentioned it to me a few days ago. The only ways according to reps on the phone and in their forums is to 1. Pay full retail, 2. Buy the phone using their device payment plan (not the Edge plan, but one where basically you finance it over 24 months and pay a $2 fee per month, and no upgrading until it's paid off), or 3. Buy the phone somewhere besides Verizon (eBay, craigslist, swappa, etc).

The one thing they state during every discussion is that you cannot keep unlimited if you upgrade at promo pricing (in other words, using subsidized pricing). There was a lot of news when their computers messed up and let people keep unlimited when they upgraded a few months back, and later Verizon said they would honor that, but otherwise their is no way to upgrade through Verizon and keep your UDP without paying full retail or financing it (which ends up being full retail + $24 in fees for financing).

Some people may have gotten lucky and got a CSR to let them keep it, but officially you can't.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=227608

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Another way to keep unlimited data is when they have a glitch in their system which has happen from time to time.
I was lucky enough too have that happen to me , thats what keep me in the unlimited plan .
I went from 2 phones on a family plan 750 minute plan to just 1 phone(upgraded) on a 450 minute Nationwide Individual Plan.This of course had alot of luck involved LOL :)

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

If people read, I don't think they'd get nearly as many people signing up as they do. Verizon (and other companies) do stuff like this counting no one will read it, and won't catch on until it's too late.

Not on a truly unlimited TMobile/Sprint plan. Have yet to be throttled and I use a bunch of LTE. Now, I think they'd throttle torrents, but due to the network congestion torrents cause, I think they have every right to.

Sprint's New Plans Guarantee Unlimited Data for Life | LAPTOP Magazine. As it states, T-Mobile will throttle after 5GB.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/143791. Sprint throttles after 5GB.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

you can still get subsidized phones and keep your UDP. Research it.
Not through Verizon at least. As soon as you re-sign a contract for a couple hundred off your phone unlimited goes.

If it is unnecessary for you, feel free to give it up. I advise you to sell your Verizon UDP rather than giving it up, though; you can make several hundred dollars by selling it.

I will be keeping my UDP, thank you very much!

Interesting that it can be sold, I think the process of name or number changing may be a bit of a hassle.

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

What a terrible thread.

Every carrier charges an upgrade fee, in fact Verizon was the last to adopt it. Sprint charges $36, AT&T charges $36, Verizon charges $30. T-Mobile did away with it when they no longer subsidized phones. You can also skip this fee when you take advantage of said carriers financing plans or paying full retail.

Verizon charges $35 for activation, which include any new line on the network. Periodically these can be waived. A stated before you can most likely call in and get a credit of $30 to cover the upgrade fee however no person at the store level, including managers, can waive the fee.

References? I worked for Verizon.

Now everyone stop being babys and pay up. If you don't like it go to T-Mobile, pay more at AT&T/Sprint or buy your phone full retail.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I have done some research on this since you mentioned it to me a few days ago. The only ways according to reps on the phone and in their forums is to
You did not research in the right places. If you have a family plan, research it here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/227608-instruction-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon-96.html#post3438292

I personally have done the process in that thread above 3 times now and still have UDPs on my lines. Of course Verizon reps are not going to tell you how to do it.

Then if you have an individual plan, there is another method that others are reporting works, but I can't vouch for that method because I haven't done it myself. One poster has posted a screen shot and I have asked others to also when they are done. This method is new so caveat emptor.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/351917-verizon-how-keep-unlimited-data-get-phone-subsidized-price-5.html#post3437767

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Every carrier charges an upgrade fee, in fact Verizon was the last to adopt it.

Sprint charges $36, AT&T charges $36, Verizon charges $30. T-Mobile did away with it when they no longer subsidized phones
Yep, and when Verizon did they issued press releases and their execs gave interviews to explain why they were doing it. And then they had the stores have it posted by every phone and put it all over the phones section of the web site. No hiding, no deceit and as you say, they were the last of the major carriers to do it and Verizon's upgrade fee is the lowest of the major carriers.

A stated before you can most likely call in and get a credit of $30 to cover the upgrade fee however no person at the store level, including managers, can waive the fee.
This has been my experience now for the 5 subsidized phones I have purchased - absolutely no waiving the upgrade fee. And I tried really, really, really hard to get it waived. But I usually get the $30 courtesy credit a couple of times a year for various issues so that makes up for it IMO.

If you don't like it go to T-Mobile, pay more at AT&T/Sprint or buy your phone full retail.
This. The bottom line here is that the cell phone carriers have an oligopoly. Deal with it, switch carriers, or do without a cell phone. Or lobby your legislators to more heavily regulate the cell phone companies as the utilities they have become. Those are your options.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy