Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Are the Digitizer and screen epoxied together?

Dropped my Maxx, and cracked my screen. I see OEM replacements are only $36, and I've replaced countless iphone screens for myself and others, so I think I am up for the task.

Every tear down video for the ultra or maxx ends when people separate the LCD/Digitizer combo and then starting the reassembly. It looks like it is extremely easy to remove the LCD/Screen combo, only 7 screws total.

Once I have the LCD/Screen away from the phone, Is it possible to replace the digitizer (glass) only?
    Last edited by chauncycat; 02-05-2014 at 12:14 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Are the Digitizer and screen epoxied together?

Nobody has replaced the digitizer or LCD yet?

Here is the digitizier by itself: Touch Screen Digitizer for Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080 - Parts4repair.Com

Here is the combo: OEM Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080, MAXX XT1080M LCD & Digitizer Assembly with Front Housing

As you can see there is a $300 difference.

I need to know if the digitizer is easily removed from the LCD itself. The Glass/Digitizer is one piece, and the LCD is a separate piece, but some of them are epoxied in a manner that prevents them from being separated.

Did you ever get an answer to your question? Were you able to replace the glass only? Mine is cracked and I purchased the glass for 36.00 and then ran into the same question as you. Can you give me any advise?

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Yes they separate. You have to use heat and allot of patience but the glass comes off. The glass replacement has a connector which is for the soft keys. I am currently using one I replaced just the glass on. The other hard part is finding an adhesive. There are none available yet. I used double sided tape worked for a short time but began to come apart. I used a couple drops of super glue. Has been fine since. Hope it helps.

Posted via Android Central App