Active notifications question

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
A question I haven't seen answered: With active notifications, if you have the phone set with a pattern, password, or face unlock, how do these work? Can you view emails/texts via the notifications or do you need to enter your unlock method (would make the most sense). Can you see any information about the notification before the unlock? Does "Ok Google now" work, and what does it work and not work for?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You will still receive notifications and speak to the device, but it requires an unlock (you can speak a pin number) in order to continue into any of the apps, such as search, hangouts, etc.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So, for example, if I want to open navigation and say "OK Google now, navigate to work" I would still need to enter the pattern, etc before I would see the navigation map? This makes sense, and with the accounts linked on my phone (work) it would have to be secure, but it sure does seem to defeat most of the utility of voice control and active notifications. Unfortunately, I don't see a practical way around it....

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think for commands that are not related to the active notification alert, it directly goes to the command such as play or navigation. However, once you exit those functions in a non-voice way, you will need to do the unlock sequence.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think for commands that are not related to the active notification alert, it directly goes to the command such as play or navigation. However, once you exit those functions in a non-voice way, you will need to do the unlock sequence.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

So, would you be able to, for example, send a text message or email without unlocking the phone, as that's not specifically related to any notification you get?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Speaking "OK Google Now" is touchless controls, not active notifications. (Those are different things.)

There are some things that you can do without unlocking. In fact, you can choose if you can or not: settings->touchless controls->commands while unlocked. You can place a call without unlocking; you can set reminders, check the weather, etc., as well. As previously mentioned, you can speak the PIN number if you have a PIN (and it works!) I rarely use touchless controls, and I usually have my phone set to bluetooth unlock, but I changed from pattern to PIN when speak your PIN was added in KitKat.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Many things do still work if you have the Google Commands and Calls checked within the Touchless Controls settings (Settings > Touchless Control > Commands While Locked).

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
....just found part of my answer on a YouTube review of the phone- there is a setting "Call while locked" in the "Touchless control" options menu that lets you make phone calls initiated by voice command without unlocking the phone. So, that begs the question: How easy is it for someone other than the owner who has trained the phone to recognize their voice when they say "OK Google now" to command the phone?

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Speaking "OK Google Now" is touchless controls, not active notifications. (Those are different things.)

There are some things that you can do without unlocking. In fact, you can choose if you can or not: settings->touchless controls->commands while unlocked. You can place a call without unlocking; you can set reminders, check the weather, etc., as well. As previously mentioned, you can speak the PIN number if you have a PIN (and it works!) I rarely use touchless controls, and I usually have my phone set to bluetooth unlock, but I changed from pattern to PIN when speak your PIN was added in KitKat.

I guess the question is about both, then, as both allow access to parts of the phone/information by circumventing security measures (within the settings on the phone, of course).

Speaking your pin is a bit self-defeating as a security measure unless, of course, you are all alone when you do it....

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I guess the question is about both, then, as both allow access to parts of the phone/information by circumventing security measures (within the settings on the phone, of course).

You can change the setting in Settings->active display->more privacy to hide details from people (and you, of course) when the phone is locked.

In addition to settings->touchless control->commands while unlocked, which can also be turned off (though you can leave "Speak your PIN" on, so it can still be useful and safe), you can make the phone as resistant to interlopers as you want it to be. (You can also turn off touchless controls altogether). Oh, and also "settings->security & screen lock->power button instantly locks" for better security.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
How easy is it for someone other than the owner who has trained the phone to recognize their voice when they say "OK Google now" to command the phone?

I have listened to podcasts in the car where the subject was the Moto X and the phrase "OK Google Now" was spoken and my phone paused the audio and waited for me to speak a command. I believe that it's not all that specific to the speaker, though when you train apparently it is listening for the pacing and relative volume changes you use when you speak the phrase.

That said, the Google search app is supposed to work when you say "OK Google" and that you can train somewhat by going into the app "Google", scrolling to the bottom of the Google Now cards and tapping the three dot menu control, choose "settings" then "voice" and you can chose something called "personalized recognition". I've never tried that myself. And, at the risk of being confusing, I believe that this is completely separate from Motorola's touchless controls "OK Google Now" settings.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have listened to podcasts in the car where the subject was the Moto X and the phrase "OK Google Now" was spoken and my phone paused the audio and waited for me to speak a command. I believe that it's not all that specific to the speaker, though when you train apparently it is listening for the pacing and relative volume changes you use when you speak the phrase.

That said, the Google search app is supposed to work when you say "OK Google" and that you can train somewhat by going into the app "Google", scrolling to the bottom of the Google Now cards and tapping the three dot menu control, choose "settings" then "voice" and you can chose something called "personalized recognition". I've never tried that myself. And, at the risk of being confusing, I believe that this is completely separate from Motorola's touchless controls "OK Google Now" settings.

I think it might be too. I have some of those options on my RAZR MAXX. Google Now is installed and I simply have to have the phone unlocked and then press and hold the search button to activate Google Now. It then has most if not all of the functionality that the Droid MAXX Google Now does, albeit slower...

bigrobi24

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I think it might be too. I have some of those options on my RAZR MAXX. Google Now is installed and I simply have to have the phone unlocked and then press and hold the search button to activate Google Now. It then has most if not all of the functionality that the Droid MAXX Google Now does, albeit slower...

VERY slow ha. I just demonstrated it yesterday and it took about 10 seconds after holding search and feeling the vibrate for the phone to get to the google search screen and display "say ok google". Another 5 seconds for the search to complete and display the information. I just cleared the partition the night before too.

I'm really looking forward to using the "ok google now" touchless search with fast speeds. It will be nice to go from 15-20 seconds to near instantaneous.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
VERY slow ha. I just demonstrated it yesterday and it took about 10 seconds after holding search and feeling the vibrate for the phone to get to the google search screen and display "say ok google". Another 5 seconds for the search to complete and display the information. I just cleared the partition the night before too.

I'm really looking forward to using the "ok google now" touchless search with fast speeds. It will be nice to go from 15-20 seconds to near instantaneous.

One of many reasons I'm upgrading....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
What I found that works is using a trusted Bluetooth device. Set the settings to the most limiting for touch less commands while locked. This way when you are using the phone with the trusted Bluetooth device it is unlocked and everything is accessible. Anyone that tries to use your phone when you are not around will not be able to because the phone will be locked

Posted using my thumbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22