Droid Maxx Owners - Do you Recommend this device?

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I just signed up for service through VZW last Friday and was on the fence about it. Was deciding between the iPhone 5S, Droid Maxx and S4. I noticed today that the S4 and Droid Maxx have both had their price reduced to $99! I bought a 32GB 5S for $300.

I'm rethinking my decision now, if for no other reason than to save myself some cash. I like the screen/ size on the S4 but love the battery and built in storage capacity on the Maxx.

For you Droid Maxx owners, would you still recommend the Maxx or would you pass on it for a difference device?

Last edited by a moderator:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Droid Maxx Owners - Do you Reccomend this device?

If I were buying a smartphone today, I would most likely still buy the MAXX, though I would probably also look at the Nexus 5 and the Moto X, both of which should be cheaper, but shorter on features/specs and battery.

Stilly1155

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Maxx is the best phone I've ever owned and have been using it since last August when it came out. My wife just switched from the I-Phone and loves this phone. It's up to you.

::Montgomery::

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Maxx is the best phone I've ever owned and have been using it since last August when it came out. My wife just switched from the I-Phone and loves this phone. It's up to you.

Could not agree more. This is hands down the best phone I have ever owed. Have had the MAXX since August as well, and my wife got the S$ at the same time. She switched to the MAXX after a few months and is loving the phone as well.

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

Yes! The screen size, active notifications, battery life, and overall feel of the device are great.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

But how is the camera on it? initially it was just so-so. Has it improved enough? What about the screen clarity on it?

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

In love with my Note 2. Bought the Maxx for my wife because of the look and feel, she loved her Droid X. But this is a great phone and would definitely pair with the Tylt Vu wireless charger. Everytime I pick up her phone she has to tear it out of my hands!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

If you are already used to the Apple ecosystem and phone behavior, Android will seem different to you. I use both (my job supplies an iP4). I like Android better, but I am more used to its behavior, having previously used a work Blackberry and Android for "my" phone.

I am not sure about how the LTE radios in the iP5 compare, but Motorola has a good reputation for good-to-excellent radios. I also don't know if the iP5 has the new LTE-A radios. The Maxx does, and where VZW has the towers, the speed is phenomenal.

It is about choices, and the in-Android choices are hard enough.

If you already were using iPhone at a previous carrier, and you have a "must have" app, you should see if it is also on Android.

If you are totally new to smart phones, it won't make much difference.

Posted from my XT1080M

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

If you are already used to the Apple ecosystem and phone behavior, Android will seem different to you. I use both (my job supplies an iP4). I like Android better, but I am more used to its behavior, having previously used a work Blackberry and Android for "my" phone.

I am not sure about how the LTE radios in the iP5 compare, but Motorola has a good reputation for good-to-excellent radios. I also don't know if the iP5 has the new LTE-A radios. The Maxx does, and where VZW has the towers, the speed is phenomenal.

It is about choices, and the in-Android choices are hard enough.

If you already were using iPhone at a previous carrier, and you have a "must have" app, you should see if it is also on Android.

If you are totally new to smart phones, it won't make much difference.

Posted from my XT1080M

iPhone 5's have LTE-A enabled.

I love my Droid Maxx, but if I were to purchase a phone today, I'd wait on the S5 which is due to announce later this month. I'm a techy hog, and having the latest technology is my kryptonite.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

iPhone 5's have LTE-A enabled.

I love my Droid Maxx, but if I were to purchase a phone today, I'd wait on the S5 which is due to announce later this month. I'm a techy hog, and having the latest technology is my kryptonite.

Unfortunately I have until next Friday to decide so that knocks the S5 out for me. Being that you like the best, what made you feel like the Maxx was better than the S4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately I have until next Friday to decide so that knocks the S5 out for me. Being that you like the best, what made you feel like the Maxx was better than the S4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S4 is one of the best devices out there, no doubt. It has the best camera on android IMO, Quad Core, beautiful screen display, and some more... .

But why did I chose the Maxx? Good question. Several reasons.

1. Radios (Google bought out moto's technology including what I believe to be the best radios you can find on any phone)
2. Battery Life (This is a given having a 3500mAh battery)
3. X8 Processor (As cool as it is to have a quad core, it's never really fully utilized. X8 archetecture fine tunes the already Snapdragon S4 processor and gives it a little "crack" and "cocaine" with the added computation cores, listening core, and graphics cores. 8 cores all together)
4. Active Notifications (It's as low powered as a standard LED notification and the ability to read notifications without unlocking the phone.
5. Designed by Google (Can't stress this enough, but this is the first Droids to be designed by Google).
6. Touchless Controls (Google has their native voice activation and so does "S" Voice, but touchless controls is huge for driving).
7. 720p display (yes, this is a benefit because it's lower powered than the 1080p displays).

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

My wife has the S4. We bought phones at the same time. While they are comparable in most respects, the S4 does not have the zippy response that the Maxx does. Its not a tremendous difference, but noticeable. Of course, the S4 has the Touchwiz ui and physical home button. Its screen is bigger and a bit more vibrant. But what really sets them apart is the battery and wireless charging. My wife got a case with an extended battery for the S4 and its HUGE, doesn't last as long as the Maxx, and still doesn't do wireless charging. So, for those two reasons alone I would take the Maxx.

As for the iPhone, as far as I am concerned, there is no comparison. I have owned one apple device and it had IIe in the model name. (Yes, the one before the IIgs) It made such a great impression that I haven't been back since.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

My wife has the S4. We bought phones at the same time. While they are comparable in most respects, the S4 does not have the zippy response that the Maxx does. Its not a tremendous difference, but noticeable. Of course, the S4 has the Touchwiz ui and physical home button. Its screen is bigger and a bit more vibrant. But what really sets them apart is the battery and wireless charging. My wife got a case with an extended battery for the S4 and its HUGE, doesn't last as long as the Maxx, and still doesn't do wireless charging. So, for those two reasons alone I would take the Maxx.

As for the iPhone, as far as I am concerned, there is no comparison. I have owned one apple device and it had IIe in the model name. (Yes, the one before the IIgs) It made such a great impression that I haven't been back since.

See... I would have agreed with you about Touchwiz a few days ago, but now with Kit Kat and Google Now Launcher, Touchwiz is non-existent.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

But how is the camera on it? initially it was just so-so. Has it improved enough? What about the screen clarity on it?

The camera is still so-so. Frankly, it probably always will be. There is only so much you can do with software. If the camera is important, I'd save the $35 restocking fee and stick with the iPhone.

Screen clarity is just fine. One of the reasons the S4 may seem sluggish next to the Maxx is that it's pushing more than double the number of pixels.

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

See... I would have agreed with you about Touchwiz a few days ago, but now with Kit Kat and Google Now Launcher, Touchwiz is non-existent.

I am not a big fan of Touchwiz in particular. I really have no preference of one over the other. I do kind of like some of the HTC sense stuff though. But Touchwiz seems to have lots of good options.

I will have to look at the Google now launcher, unless that's what they are calling GEL.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

I'd recommend this phone. I still love it and have no regrets about choosing this phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995