1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid MAXX: camera failed to initialize?

Does anyone ever have an issue with starting the camera and an error appearing saying "camera failed to initialize". Its happened to me numerous times since the move to KK using either the app or the shake method. Anyone have a fix for it?

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-23-2014 at 02:04 AM.

Default Re: camera failed to initialize?

I get that just about every time I try to shut down dailyroads. I figured it was because dailyroads wasn't too happy working with the limited droid stock camera app

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

Nope, never.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    Droid Maxx
    Running 4.4 Kit Kat

US Navy CPO Ret
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I think its due to how many apps I have open. I go to close a bunch out from the app selector button and it works then. Maybe that's a ram issue. But you'd think it wouldn't be with 2GB

I am going nuts here with this camera. why should it fail to initialize I bought my first droid Maxx 2 months ago unfortunately I dropped a table leg on the screen and so I had to pay $100 for a new one I got the new phone sent back my broken phone and I have had this one for about a month and I have had nothing but problems with this darn camera! why should I have to shake it or smack it in order to get it to initialize? I have done everything tried to reset it in safe mode and I have even done a full factory reset and it still does it. then sometimes it wont but usually after about 3 pics it starts doing it again... Anyone have any advice here?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Williams1 View Post
    I am going nuts here with this camera. why should it fail to initialize I bought my first droid Maxx 2 months ago unfortunately I dropped a table leg on the screen and so I had to pay $100 for a new one I got the new phone sent back my broken phone and I have had this one for about a month and I have had nothing but problems with this darn camera! why should I have to shake it or smack it in order to get it to initialize? I have done everything tried to reset it in safe mode and I have even done a full factory reset and it still does it. then sometimes it wont but usually after about 3 pics it starts doing it again... Anyone have any advice here?
    Yes. It shouldn't be giving that error message. Call for a warranty replacement.

i had the same problem with my moto g. i tried switching my phone off and on, and the camera worked. but i didn't want to keep turning my phone off and on so i tried finding the root problem. i came to know that every time i do not exit Skype properly, i get camera error. but the solution was simple, i just go to Skype, try to make a video call and the camera starts working. just make sure you don't directly kill the task and exit the app properly.

i don't know if this will work for you guys or not but it worked for me. good luck!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, for now

This shouldnt be happening at all. Try a hard reboot (Volume down + power and hold them down) or a factory reset. If those dont work... warranty replacement it is.

Default Re: Droid MAXX: camera failed to initialize?

Quote Originally Posted by gamefreak715 View Post
    Does anyone ever have an issue with starting the camera and an error appearing saying "camera failed to initialize". Its happened to me numerous times since the move to KK using either the app or the shake method. Anyone have a fix for it?

What finally worked for me was to download a camera app. I had previously only been using the stock camera and began to get the error recently. None of the boot or other reset options worked. I tried a free app first and presto! Then i got so fired up that i went ahead and bought the CameraFX app for $2.99 and i never knew what i was missing! Camera app saved the day. I didnt even have to disable the stock camera. Hope this helps yoy as much ad it has me.