Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mustang02
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What are your predictions for the Maxx with Kit Kat getting Root Access?

As I understand it, there's a pretty straightforward way for a Maxx to get Root Access with Kit Kat if the Maxx was rooted when it had JB. (Jelly Bean)

But what about Maxx owners, like myself, who updated to KK and never had Root Access during JB - Do you think there's an easy root solution of the horizon? If so, how long do you think it might be before a root solution exists for Maxx phones that were never rooted during JB?

I made the decision not to root during JB because it was reported the update to KK broke the entitlement hack. It's not a huge deal for me, but I would be curious to hear the opinions of those people who follow these matters more closely than I do. Is it possible the Maxx with KK will never get Root Access unless it had root during JB?
    Last edited by XDCX; 02-11-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Changed "ICS" to "JB" to reflect that Jelly Bean preceded Kit Kat

Default Re: What are your predictions for the Maxx with Kit Kat getting Root Access?

Honestly? Root info abounds! KK is unrootable...for now. Must root-prep before leaving JB via Slap My Motor.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

Default Re: What are your predictions for the Maxx with Kit Kat getting Root Access?

Quote Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
    As I understand it, there's a pretty straightforward way for a Maxx to get Root Access with Kit Kat if the Maxx was rooted when it had JB. (Jelly Bean)

But what about Maxx owners, like myself, who updated to KK and never had Root Access during JB - Do you think there's an easy root solution of the horizon? If so, how long do you think it might be before a root solution exists for Maxx phones that were never rooted during JB?

I made the decision not to root during JB because it was reported the update to KK broke the entitlement hack. It's not a huge deal for me, but I would be curious to hear the opinions of those people who follow these matters more closely than I do. Is it possible the Maxx with KK will never get Root Access unless it had root during JB?
    The Maxx never had ICS, it came with Jellybean. To answer the question, according to jcase, the creator of SlapmyMoto et.al. we will not be rooted.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Cincybearcatfan View Post
    The Maxx never had ICS, it came with Jellybean. To answer the question, according to jcase, the creator of SlapmyMoto et.al. we will not be rooted.
    Thanks for the correction - I revised my original post to reflect that JB and not ICS was the previous operating system.

Concerning the answer to my question, thanks for the information - even though that's not what I wanted to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincybearcatfan View Post
    To answer the question, according to jcase, the creator of SlapmyMoto et.al. we will not be rooted.
    Do you have a link for when did jcase said that? I've seen him say that he has no interest in looking for exploits himself, but I can't say that I have seen the statement that it will never be done by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Do you have a link for when did jcase said that? I've seen him say that he has no interest in looking for exploits himself, but I can't say that I have seen the statement that it will never be done by anyone.
    He's said a few things on xda. So I doubt kitkat will ever have root.

That is the answer. I can't say that he's come out and said it, but I have read many posts by jcase saying that someone will never find another path. Also, do you think that he wouldn't want the $1,200 that's waiting for him if he could find one? He's a smart guy. If there were a way to collect that cash, I'm sure he'd be all over it.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

I saw some guy post on here that his Maxx kept root when he upgraded to KK...is this not true? I just got my phone yesterday, did NOT update it to KK, and I did my root...want to keep it that way.

So, KK is never going to be able to be rooted?

If you just install the update to kitkat, you lose root!! You can upgrade to kitkat and maintain root if you follow the procedures for slapmymoto on xda.
    T-Rob likes this.

0% chance.

Big Red has too much to win ensuring that root doesn't happen. Bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by redddog View Post
    0% chance.

Big Red has too much to win ensuring that root doesn't happen. Bottom line.
    I think Big Red has to much to lose if they fight people getting root to aggressively. I left Apple because they were so insistent in plugging exploits that allowed JailBracking. I have a DEL Maxx that basically is rooted once the bootloader is unlocked. Just flash TWRP and install a SuperUser App and your rooted. If I had a Maxx I could not root I would go back to the LG G2, Moto X or something that could be rooted. I did like the Moto X Del edition also but the Maxx had a couple things I wanted.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by scallawag View Post
    I think Big Red has to much to lose if they fight people getting root to aggressively. I left Apple because they were so insistent in plugging exploits that allowed JailBracking. I have a DEL Maxx that basically is rooted once the bootloader is unlocked. Just flash TWRP and install a SuperUser App and your rooted. If I had a Maxx I could not root I would go back to the LG G2, Moto X or something that could be rooted. I did like the Moto X Del edition also but the Maxx had a couple things I wanted.
    Thanks for the information. I was wondering if a Developer Edition Maxx would solve my problem and it appears the answer is "yes."

Quote Originally Posted by scallawag View Post
    I think Big Red has to much to lose if they fight people getting root to aggressively. ... If I had a Maxx I could not root I would go back to the LG G2, Moto X or something that could be rooted.....
    Thats the plan. But it won't cost Verizon anything. I'll still be a customer, they just forced me into a different phone. The bet is that people will be lazy and just accept what they are dealt - and that's a good bet. It's why there is such a thing as a mail-in rebate. They probably make millions a year with that BS because people will either forget to do it or do it wrong. If they were truly interested in just giving you a rebate, why make us go through all that crap.

You'll never go broke betting on stupidity or laziness. I think my miserable old gramps used to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by redddog View Post
    Thats the plan. But it won't cost Verizon anything. I'll still be a customer, they just forced me into a different phone. The bet is that people will be lazy and just accept what they are dealt - and that's a good bet. It's why there is such a thing as a mail-in rebate. They probably make millions a year with that BS because people will either forget to do it or do it wrong. If they were truly interested in just giving you a rebate, why make us go through all that crap.

You'll never go broke betting on stupidity or laziness. I think my miserable old gramps used to say that.
    I don't see the need to root. The only singular reason I might need to is for the entitlement hack, but I don't tether due to the availability of WiFi around the places I frequent. Before we could disable apps, I rooted to get rid of bloatware. I suppose there is an argument for using adfree or some other tool to get rid of ads. However, most of the apps I have needed are .99$ for ad free versions. As for flashing custom roms, I never spent the time to create my own and was never able to find any that were better than the stock roms on any phone. Yes, they looked different and you could upgrade a bit earlier, but generally, there was very little gain.

This is the first phone I have not had a desire to root. If it was easily done, I probably would. However, its not a deal breaker.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by silverback View Post
    I don't see the need to root. The only singular reason I might need to is for the entitlement hack, but I don't tether due to the availability of WiFi around the places I frequent. Before we could disable apps, I rooted to get rid of bloatware. I suppose there is an argument for using adfree or some other tool to get rid of ads. However, most of the apps I have needed are .99$ for ad free versions. As for flashing custom roms, I never spent the time to create my own and was never able to find any that were better than the stock roms on any phone. Yes, they looked different and you could upgrade a bit earlier, but generally, there was very little gain.

This is the first phone I have not had a desire to root. If it was easily done, I probably would. However, its not a deal breaker.

Say what? Custom Roms for most of my precious droids were more than mere graphics. Speed and memory tweaks, added drop downs and functionality. The bionic loved the core speed to be increased. More to rooting a phone than just disabling apps or entitlement hacks.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

+1.

Thanks,
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by silverback View Post

You don't see the need to root! Just tell me how I would use the Google Now Fix in Head Set Droid, or stop the wireless charging sound all the time or...yes I still use the entitlement hack with KitKat. Could I still do a complete backup of my Droid.
    I have found through the years that folks looking for a need to do something often don't agree with me because Phones and Computers are fun for me so it is more a want to root then a need to root. Honestly I don't need a cell phone I want a cell phone...big difference and certainly nothing wrong with not agreeing with me.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang02 View Post
    Say what? Custom Roms for most of my precious droids were more than mere graphics. Speed and memory tweaks, added drop downs and functionality. The bionic loved the core speed to be increased. More to rooting a phone than just disabling apps or entitlement hacks.
    Yes. They usually did those things...as well as break the camera or Bluetooth or cause some other glitch. I have been flashing Roms since Winmo on Apaches. Yes, there is a geek factor involved, but this phone is so functionally adept that its not worth the other annoyances that accompany other Roms. Sorry. Its just not worth it. On a device which is questionable to begin with (not to name names...like HTC) its probably worth it. Not so on the Maxx in my humble but accurate opinion.

I never heard Jcase say 4.4 won't get rooted there is actually a way to root 4.4 jcase discovered it he has stated he is not going to release it. So it stands to reason that some other motivated individual could find the exploit. Not taking anything away from Jcase but he is not the only person in the world who can achieve this and I am sure he would agree. However it would take someone with a maxx moto x etc. to even be able to do this if they don't have the phone or access to the phone they can't begin to try and root it. I understand that with every version or update of android exploits get closed but it would also stand to reason that with new software comes new exploits. It is just getting more difficult to find them and most importantly time consuming. That is where the bounty comes, hoping that someone will put in the effort for the cash.

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts

I am confused about this "cannot root 4.4" issue. On the Verizon subforum, the claim is made that you CAN root 4.4. ( VZW customer for 15+ yrs NOT HAPPY ). Or are they talking about phones that had some prep work done on 4.2.2?

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

I believe they are referring to phones that were rooted before upgrading to KK.

Thanks,
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    I am confused about this "cannot root 4.4" issue. On the Verizon subforum, the claim is made that you CAN root 4.4. ( VZW customer for 15+ yrs NOT HAPPY ). Or are they talking about phones that had some prep work done on 4.2.2?
    If you root while still on 4.2.2, there is a method to keep root when you update to 4.4. If you update to 4.4 (or your phone comes with 4.4 preinstalled) without rooting, then there is currently no way to get root. There is also no way to go back to 4.2.2. This is for non-developer editions. With one of those, you can unlock the bootloader and have options.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drvier8 View Post
    If you root while still on 4.2.2, there is a method to keep root when you update to 4.4. If you update to 4.4 (or your phone comes with 4.4 preinstalled) without rooting, then there is currently no way to get root. There is also no way to go back to 4.2.2. This is for non-developer editions. With one of those, you can unlock the bootloader and have options.
    According to , unlike the usual case, you CAN downgrade from 4.4 (but NOT 4.4.2) to 4.2.2 with the RSD tool, and then apply the exploit to get rooted 4.4 on locked bootloader devices. The author of that thread, jcase, is adamant that the exploit works on stock Verizon/at&t devices that came from the factory with 4.4. Now I am really confused.

Edit: That thread on xda-developers was discussing the MotoX. I wonder if bootloader on the Maxx is different from the one on the MotoX, and does not permit the downgrade from 4.4, which shoots down the whole exploit?
    Last edited by CharlesH; 02-21-2014 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    Edit: That thread on xda-developers was discussing the MotoX. I wonder if bootloader on the Maxx is different from the one on the MotoX, and does not permit the downgrade from 4.4, which shoots down the whole exploit?
    Yep, that's it.