Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is KitKat preloaded on warranty replacement phones?

I'm going to do a warranty claim on my MAXX because I'm constantly getting the "Camera Error" error which prevents me from using the camera, with any camera app too. What I am wondering though, is if new phones are coming preloaded with KK. I was lucky enough to be able to actually get root on KK and I would hate if I'm unable to after getting a warranty replacement.

Default Re: Is KitKat preloaded on warranty replacement phones?

All depends on the carrier/warranty company if they decide to update the device or not. It may come with 4.4.x KitKat or it maybe on Jelly Bean still.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

From what I've seen they are on jellybean but they can change that at anytime.
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock

Warranty replacement phones ship with 4.4. Confirmed. I've got one. It works better with less problems than my previous Maxx after I preformed my own upgrade. Just tell them that you're having problems, if you are, and they will next day air you a refurb with 4.4 no charge.

I got my refurb late last week, and it doesn't have KK on it yet. So it seems like it's quite literally "luck of the draw". YMMV.

It may not be pre-loaded (my new MAXX was not, but unknown about replacement phones), but my new MAXX started downloading it as soon as I powered it on. Told it not to install just yet. Have to root first....
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

thanks for all the responses. Just hope I get lucky, guess the sooner I try the better my luck. Gonna file a claim now