1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Text messaging (stock vs Hangouts)

What is the difference or the advantage of using the standard text message app or using hangouts for your text message? Using my maxx with 4.4 kit kat
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02-17-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Default Re: Text messaging (stock vs Hangouts)

Quote Originally Posted by captain_47 View Post
    What is the difference or the advantage of using the standard text message app or using handouts for your text message? Using my maxx with 4.4 kit kat
    I don't use Hangouts but in general, like other messaging platforms, it uses data rather than counting against SMS limits. I believe it supports group chats, voice and image attachments, and has a feature where you can incorporate standard SMS messages into the Hangouts environment.

p.s. I use BBM for messaging, and WhatsApp as a last resort for friends who won't use BBM.

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX

It's just user preference really. Everyone has there preferences on which texting app to use for different reasons. I prefer the Verizon messages app because I can customize my text screen with different bubble colors and even the background color, it has lots of emoji's, and the Glympse feature is really handy when me and my wife are meeting somewhere because you can share your location for a set period of time and you can see each others location on a map in relation to where you are going. Just try them out and use the one that fits what you want. There are lots out there. Just make sure each time you change you also change your default SMS app under you settings.
    Droid Maxx
    Running 4.4 Kit Kat

US Navy CPO Ret

Quote Originally Posted by captain_47 View Post
    What is the difference or the advantage of using the standard text message app or using hangouts for your text message? Using my maxx with 4.4 kit kat
    Hangouts is better at showing you received photos sent by MMS. It also tells you better who is involved in a group MMS conversation.

However, what I hate about it is if I want to send a text message to my son and enter his name at the top, because he also has a GMail account it wants to send the message as a Hangout chat rather than an SMS messages. It drives me crazy - my kids don't use Hangouts and don't really want to, and I think most of my friends are the same way. So, I switched back to the stock messaging client for text messaging.

Doogald, that's an easy fix. When you type their name at the top, hit the drop down arrow by their name and you can select their phone number instead of their email address. Also, if you only use it for SMS, you can pick them from the list of names rather than typing their name each time.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Cincybearcatfan View Post
    Doogald, that's an easy fix. When you type their name at the top, hit the drop down arrow by their name and you can select their phone number instead of their email address. Also, if you only use it for SMS, you can pick them from the list of names rather than typing their name each time.
    Thanks. I swear that I was doing that last time and their phone number was not showing up - just the email address.
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by jbeachy View Post
    I don't use Hangouts but in general, like other messaging platforms, it uses data rather than counting against SMS limits. I believe it supports group chats, voice and image attachments, and has a feature where you can incorporate standard SMS messages into the Hangouts environment.

p.s. I use BBM for messaging, and WhatsApp as a last resort for friends who won't use BBM.

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX
    Actually, once Google implements this, it will truly be a great stock replacement. Right now, if the person who you are conversing with does not have hangouts, the messages are sent over mobile network. If they do have have hangouts then it goes through data.

Now Google has still yet to compile the same user into one contact for contacts and you will have two separate conversations with the same person if you msg them through SMS or Hangouts. iMessage automatically switches to data if the person has an iPhone which is what Google needs to make happen.