File management in KK?

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What happened to the ability to manage files directly on the phone in KK? There is no longer anything in my app drawer that lets me see the files on my phone. Why would they remove that?

I ask because I have a ring tone that I use based on SMS keywords as a pager. I used Motorola Migrate to transfer all my files. Despite being able to play the alert tone in my pager app, I cannot select it. It will always revert to a default tone. I need to see where it is and possibly move it. Outside of downloading a file manager app, there appears to be no way to do that now.

I can also no longer move custom ringtones so that they are available to use by the system.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
You would have to download, a file manager from the play store.

I recommend ES file manager, however, any of the file manager apps should do the job.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess the question is, why was the native file manager removed? I can see no good reason for that, and plenty of bad effects.

My next question is, what folder do I need to put ringtones, alerts, etc in so that they are accessible by the system and all apps?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I guess the question is, why was the native file manager removed? I can see no good reason for that, and plenty of bad effects.

My next question is, what folder do I need to put ringtones, alerts, etc in so that they are accessible by the system and all apps?

There is a folder called ringtones. Just use a file manager from the play store. I second ES File Explorer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Any sound files in a folder that is named "ringtones" anywhere on accessible storage on your phone will show up inthe ringtone picker; sound files in a folder called "notifications" will show up in the notification picker, and files in a folder called "alarms" will show up in the alarm sound picker.

So, the files can be in /ringtones, /notifications, and /alarms, or they can be in /media/ringtones, /media/notifications, and /media/alarms, or even /foo/bar/ringtones, /foo/notifications, and /bar/alarms. Etcetera.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Any sound files in a folder that is named "ringtones" anywhere on accessible storage on your phone will show up inthe ringtone picker; sound files in a folder called "notifications" will show up in the notification picker, and files in a folder called "alarms" will show up in the alarm sound picker.

So, the files can be in /ringtones, /notifications, and /alarms, or they can be in /media/ringtones, /media/notifications, and /media/alarms, or even /foo/bar/ringtones, /foo/notifications, and /bar/alarms. Etcetera.

Well, here's the problem. I use SMS Alerts by FastMob as a keyword filter for SMS. Specified keywords trigger an alert tone. I have one called "Pager". I can browse to that tone from within SMS Alerts and then click to select it. The tone plays like it should. As soon as I click "OK" to confirm my selection, it returns me to the SMS Alerts settings page and the alert selection tenets to a number instead of the Pager file I selected. I've tried putting Pager in different folders but it's always the same result. I can find, select, and play it but the settings page will not retain my selection. SMS Alerts never had this problem on my RAZR nor on the Droid MAXX under JB. Only since updating to KK has this become an issue. I'm at a loss as to how to solve it.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Here is the alert tone selection screen, showing that I can find and select PAGER:

vupyzemy.jpg

And this is what happens as soon as I click OK. The selection reverts to a number and is not the PAGER tone. This happens with every non stock tone on this phone.

e5usa9yz.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the number represents Pager. Does it work? Do you hear Pager when you get a text?

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the number represents Pager. Does it work? Do you hear Pager when you get a text?

No, as I said the number somehow links back to a stock android alert tone. Pager does not play when I receive a text that would trigger it. The stock Android alert plays.

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
/System/Media/Audio/Alarms is where I found the notification sounds on my Nexus 5. Maybe if you can copy and paste Pager into that folder it would work.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Oops, I should have said Notifications instead of Alarms; there are 4 folders for the various types of sounds in that audio directory.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
/System/Media/Audio/Alarms is where I found the notification sounds on my Nexus 5. Maybe if you can copy and paste Pager into that folder it would work.

You can't paste files into /system or any subfolders unless you have rooted the phone and have sufficient rights to copy. But, as I said earlier, you can create a folder called /notifications anywhere in internal storage that you do have rights and the sound will show up in the notification picker.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
You can't paste files into /system or any subfolders unless you have rooted the phone and have sufficient rights to copy. But, as I said earlier, you can create a folder called /notifications anywhere in internal storage that you do have rights and the sound will show up in the notification picker.

I've tried that with no success....

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
When you go to change your notification sound, use media storage to look for your file. I use zedge for all of my ring tones. It used to be that when I'm changing ring tones, I have to go into the zedge folder (as seen in attached screen shot) to get to all my stored ring tones. Since kit kat, all my ring tones that I downloaded from zedge, are in media storage and I have to select them from there instead. See if the pager sound has been moved to here.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1392978068808.jpg
    1392978068808.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 24

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
When you go to change your notification sound, use media storage to look for your file. I use zedge for all of my ring tones. It used to be that when I'm changing ring tones, I have to go into the zedge folder (as seen in attached screen shot) to get to all my stored ring tones. Since kit kat, all my ring tones that I downloaded from zedge, are in media storage and I have to select them from there instead. See if the pager sound has been moved to here.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

That's what I've been doing.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Do it from your computer, not the phone, If you do it on the phone, the proper location is /storage/emulated/0/notifications, not /sdcard/notifications, even though it looks the same.

Thanks I'll have to try that.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, I'm pretty sure this is not a problem with the app, it's a problem or restriction with KK. I downloaded another keyword SMS filter app by a different vendor and I got the exact same problem when I tried to select an alert tone other than those that came with the phone. Where do I report this bug?

jynepapa.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk