Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kach474
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid MAXX: broken glass, can it be fixed?

First time ever...dropped my phone and broke the glass. Technically screen seems to still work other than the Home, Back, and Multi buttons at the bottom. Can this be repaired or am I in for a new phone?

Default Re: broken glass, can it be fixed?

I would hit YouTube and look around for some videos on it if your the do it your self type. Otherwise you maybe in for a warranty/insurance claim thru store or carrier for a refurbished or new phone.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks. How do I know if the bottom buttons are not working because of the glass breakage versus they are actually damaged?

If they aren't working its probably a damaged digitizer. I have no clue on the MAXX if the digitizer is separate or build onto/one piece with the glass.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Just updating for anyone that may be searching this subject later. I chose to go the route of fixing rather than buying new. Local place (Lifeline I think) did the work. While it was crazy expensive because the phone is new and parts still pricey, the work was done well and the phone seems as good as new. In the end it was still half the price of buying a new one off contract.

the deductible through asurion would have only been $100.
    MOTOROLA DROID MAXX (Verizon Wireless)

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Default Re: Droid MAXX: broken glass, can it be fixed?

I just did this repair on a damaged Maxx. I fix lots of phones and this was relatively easy compared to others. The glass sits atop of the LCD and digitizer. The soft keys ie home and back keys are controlled by a connector on the glass. The glass replacement runs about 40 bucks. Throw some heat to glass and with some time and patience it will come up piece by piece. Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    perkdog65 likes this.