Suddenly Droid MAXX battery last less than 24 hours

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
After performing the wipe cache partition and doing a normal charge last night my phone seems to be running normal again. With mostly texting, listening to music about 60 minutes and light phone use, my battery drains about 3 percent per hour. Today, in 8.5 hours I have used 28 percent of my battery so far. For a while there I was using about six percent per hour without any streaming or browsing. I was not liking that at all.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
75% left

17 hours

33% screen time
19% voice calls
15% android OS
15% phone idle
etc

this seems to be pretty good right?

(and this is on a certified like new phone that i just received yesterday)

Savvra

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Per the Moto website (instructions are in the Moto X section but work fine for the Maxx):

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.

2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS

3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.

4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key

Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)

7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to select this option

8. The device will then perform the partition wipe

9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

I tried this for the heck of it and my battery life got way better! I had already done a factory reset and still wasn't impressed after the Kitkat update. Thank you!

Posted via Android Central App

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Since the kit katt update I'm having the same problem as many of you. Its to the point where I'm managing the battery, turning off refresh, GPS, etc. I didn't have to do this before. Also there's been an update to G+ that doesn't allow you to sign out, I've always thought G+ was a battery hog but now I can't sign out like I used too. I still get really good battery life but no where near 48 hours. In all honesty I got about 36 hours before the update. Now I easily get through the day but that wasn't the point of the phone. Hopefully Google/Verizon can fix this.

conan1071

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Since the kit katt update I'm having the same problem as many of you. Its to the point where I'm managing the battery, turning off refresh, GPS, etc. I didn't have to do this before. Also there's been an update to G+ that doesn't allow you to sign out, I've always thought G+ was a battery hog but now I can't sign out like I used too. I still get really good battery life but no where near 48 hours. In all honesty I got about 36 hours before the update. Now I easily get through the day but that wasn't the point of the phone. Hopefully Google/Verizon can fix this.

That's why I'm delaying the update everyday.

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Also there's been an update to G+ that doesn't allow you to sign out, I've always thought G+ was a battery hog but now I can't sign out like I used too.

This frustrates me immensely. Google forcing plus down our throats is getting to be quite obnoxious.

There is a way to sign out, but it's been deliberately made less convenient in the hopes people will just give up looking for the command.

In G+, go to settings, then tap your account. Look for the overflow menu (the 3 dots in vertical formation) and then tap sign out. I would clear data for the app, but I think disabling would be the best course of action if you find it signing in on its own for devices using only one Google account.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You can also go into settings->Google (under accounts), tap your google account, and turn off Google+ sync.

I'm not seeing an option to turn off Google+ sync, only stopping all of Google services from syncing. Am I missing something, or was that your suggestion?

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
This frustrates me immensely. Google forcing plus down our throats is getting to be quite obnoxious.

There is a way to sign out, but it's been deliberately made less convenient in the hopes people will just give up looking for the command.

In G+, go to settings, then tap your account. Look for the overflow menu (the 3 dots in vertical formation) and then tap sign out. I would clear data for the app, but I think disabling would be the best course of action if you find it signing in on its own for devices using only one Google account.

Thanks for the info. Really BS they buried signing out that like.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not seeing an option to turn off Google+ sync, only stopping all of Google services from syncing. Am I missing something, or was that your suggestion?

Settings. Look for "google" under accounts and tap it. Under accounts at the top, tap the name of your Google account, which should have a green (or red) circle spin icon next to it. You will see a list of all of the items that can sync on that account; Google+ should be one of them.

Attachments

• 2014-03-17 23.50.57.jpg
    2014-03-17 23.50.57.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 83
  • 2014-03-17 23.50.38.jpg
    2014-03-17 23.50.38.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 87

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Settings. Look for "google" under accounts and tap it. Under accounts at the top, tap the name of your Google account, which should have a green (or red) circle spin icon next to it. You will see a list of all of the items that can sync on that account; Google+ should be one of them.

Thanks for that, but what's weird is I don't have Google+ in my list, or Keep for that matter. My list goes from Newsstands to Ingress. To try and remedy the matter before I saw your post, I uninstalled all updates for it, leaving the factory app. So maybe that took it off the list. Either way it seems to have helped my battery since I did that. I won't know until I do a full recharge and see if I can get the 2 days and 1 night like I did before. Fingers crossed. :)

nealf2014

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I have linked the battery drain on my Droid Maxx to syncing of a corporate exchange email account. The Battery Doctor app ID'd the android "email" app as the largest battery user. When I deleted the corporate email account the battery drain stopped.

dickmart

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
my droid maxx hd suddenly was lasting less than a day. I read somewhere that if you power down before disconnecting the charger, you'll triple the time your battery lasts. It works for me, and I'm not doing any more upgrades from now on.

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Some days are definitely better than others as far as battery life goes. Seems to be a little inconsistent with no real difference in usage. Today I am currently at 7 hrs 10 mins screen on time with 45% battery remaining.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Ever since the 4.4.4 update for me.my battery life has been substantially reduced. Been trying everything I can think of to try and restore it back to where it was before the update. No luck so far.

Are these sharp declines normal for u all now?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 6373.jpg
    6373.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 149

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
From what I see in the picture you are getting over a day and a half and having 15-20% battery left. If I may ask what were you use to getting?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ever since the 4.4.4 update for me.my battery life has been substantially reduced. Been trying everything I can think of to try and restore it back to where it was before the update. No luck so far.

Are these sharp declines normal for u all now?

Posted via the Android Central App

See that big area in the chart when wifi was off and the charge drop wasn't so great? Let me guess - you were sleeping?

If yes, plug in your phone then and you won't worry about running out of battery.

And, to answer your question - since the kitkat update last December/January , battery life has been worse than on jellybean before, yes. The 4.4.4 update helped a little, but not much. I probably drop an extra 1% to 2% an hour compared with before. Thankfully, there are almost always times that I plug in during the day - while I drive, while I sit at my desk, while I eat dinner ,etc. Even so, if I never get to plug in the phone, I still end the day with between 30 and 50 percent battery left, when I can plug in whole I am sleeping. That's good enough for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance