Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Suddenly Droid MAXX battery last less than 24 hours

All of the sudden my Droid Maxx will only last about 12-15 hours with little to no use. This has happened for several days. I charged my phone overnight on Tuesday and forgot to charge it on Wednesday and it died Wednesday night. I fully charged it today before powering on. When I did power it on and checked the power I got the screenshot below.
    Suddenly Droid MAXX battery last less than 24 hours-screenshot_2014-02-20-12-35-14.png

As you can see Android OS has the top spot for battery usage. It was also the top for the other days I had this problem. I've been running Kit Kat with no problems up until this week. Guess I'll have to figure out if one of my apps is causing Android to use up the battery. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Bird

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Suddenly Droid MAXX battery last less than 24 hours

Have you tried rebooting after fully charging? That usually fixes the issue for me. You can use GSAM battery monitor to see what's causing the battery drain

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Just did that before I posted. Hopefully that will do the trick. I'll b monitoring it through out the day to see how it works. Kinda sucks cause I use my phone as a cycling computer when I train and race and I got the Droid Maxx because the battery would last through my long rides.

I'm also getting crappy battery after 4.4 update. I've done factory restore. have gsam only. and deactivated all the bloat. wifi , Bluetooth is off. I was getting 40+ hours before the update.. this has forced me to goto iphone until another update comes out or I read about a fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    tonyr6 likes this.

It's a common thing with this phone, due I am sure to all of the things like touchless controls (always listening for "ok google now"), active display, assist driving mode, etc.

I've read that if you go into Google settings->search & now->Voice and turn off "hotword detection" it reduces some of the background processes. This turns off only the Google Search app listening for the "OK Google" keyphrase, a feature of Google search/Google Now for all JB and KK phone. Since we have touchless controls, this is probably redundant for you, and you can just use touchless controls (which still works if this is turned off) for voice search.

I'm not sure how much this affects things, though...

Global Posts
    10,071 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 3.0 Sense

Something is wrong.... Mine is always screen first.

R

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Jeremy Priest1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintRo View Post
    Something is wrong.... Mine is always screen first.
    What is your screen on time?
    Thanked by:
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Have you tried rebooting after fully charging? That usually fixes the issue for me. You can use GSAM battery monitor to see what's causing the battery drain

Was GSAM updated to now work with Kit Kat? I thought Google changed its permissions which prevented apps like that from obtaining system stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    It's a common thing with this phone, due I am sure to all of the things like touchless controls (always listening for "ok google now"), active display, assist driving mode, etc.

I've read that if you go into Google settings->search & now->Voice and turn off "hotword detection" it reduces some of the background processes. This turns off only the Google Search app listening for the "OK Google" keyphrase, a feature of Google search/Google Now for all JB and KK phone. Since we have touchless controls, this is probably redundant for you, and you can just use touchless controls (which still works if this is turned off) for voice search.

I'm not sure how much this affects things, though...
    That's good to know. The "Ok Google" launch phrase is a bit useless with our phones because it only works when Google Now is open. We have touchless control built in which acts on the phrase "Ok Google Now".

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Masheen View Post
    Was GSAM updated to now work with Kit Kat? I thought Google changed its permissions which prevented apps like that from obtaining system stats.

That's good to know. The "Ok Google" launch phrase is a bit useless with our phones because it only works when Google Now is open. We have touchless control built in which acts on the phrase "Ok Google Now".
    It's working for me on both my S4 and Moto X. Wakelock detector doesn't work without root though.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock

ah ok. Most of my battery is being used by the Kernel which is Android OS in battery stats and Android System. Having location enabled with Google Now set up uses battery, but it's a price that I would pay for its convenience. Thats why I got a Droid Maxx, I could leave features like these on and not have to worry about my phone dying in a few hours like my old Galaxy Nexus.
    gamefreak715 likes this.

kit Kat has screwed up more phones then helped

tonyr6 likes this.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by aue123 View Post
    kit Kat has screwed up more phones then helped

That's just what it appears like because people who have issues come to forums like this one, whereas people who don't, aren't inclined to share their experiences

Thanked by:
    jesta192 and skatergirl like this.

I just think it's dumb you can't opt out of updating unless you root and void warrenty. that's bs

tonyr6 likes this.

I don't think the problem is inherent to kit-kat. My phones battery might even be a little better since the update, in particular after Google services also updated, which was the cause of a lot of battery issues.

On another note, the gsam battery app does work without root, but after the kit-kat update, it appears to be pretty inaccurate. The stats are never consistent with what the default battery stats show, which wasn't the case before kit kat. For example, my screen will generally account for about 40% of my battery by the end of the day according to the default battery stats, but after the update, there's always a huge discrepancy between what gsam and the default stats say.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

I had similar issues to the OP, and ended up clearing the cache on the recovery partition. It's been 5 days since then and it's back to where it was pre update.

BTW, I am not rooted or anything, so this should work for anyone. I am also still on dalvik, so that isn't the cause.

Before the update I'd usually have around 50-60% after the first day (8am-11pm), and the second day I'd have to plug in around 9-10pm. After the update using the same timeframe, it'd be around 15-20% after the first day so I'd have to charge every night. I cleared the cache last Saturday night with the phone around 20%, rebooted it according to the instructions, and let it run down to 2%, powered it down and charged it to full. Since then, I'm back to 2 days on a charge like before.

Quote Originally Posted by aue123 View Post
    I just think it's dumb you can't opt out of updating unless you root and void warrenty. that's bs

You don't need to root. Disable MotorolaOTA and Updater and it won't look for updates anymore.

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

I would definitely try clearing your cache if rebooting doesn't work. After the update my battery went down for about 2 days and then was right as rain again. This is a screen shot of my usage from today, which is pretty normal.

There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by DefectiveWeeble View Post
    I would definitely try clearing your cache if rebooting doesn't work. After the update my battery went down for about 2 days and then was right as rain again. This is a screen shot of my usage from today, which is pretty normal.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/21/egy8u5uj.jpg
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/21/rapequry.jpg

Damn! 4 hours screen time and 65% left? Do you really get 11+ hours or screen time?

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Damn! 4 hours screen time and 65% left? Do you really get 11+ hours or screen time?

I have before. It really depends on why my screen is on, if you take my meaning. For instance, reading on the Nook app uses very little battery at all, whereas playing PvZ2 sucks the battery down a lot faster.

There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by DefectiveWeeble View Post
    I have before. It really depends on why my screen is on, if you take my meaning. For instance, reading on the Nook app uses very little battery at all, whereas playing PvZ2 sucks the battery down a lot faster.

Yeah I know. I set all my apps to night/dark mode and I have The Real Dark Slim setting turned on for my ROM so almost everything is black on the screen. Uses very little battery that way
    My best is 7 hours and 30 minutes. Wonder how it would do with a battery the size of the Maxx

Attachment 105560Attachment 105560This is why every day I delay the kit Kat download. Also heard of bad signal with kit Kat. Best battery without kit Kat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suddenly Droid MAXX battery last less than 24 hours-1393034130711.jpg  

Here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suddenly Droid MAXX battery last less than 24 hours-1393034185601.jpg  

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts

On KitKat . . 17 hours on battery . . 7.5 hours screen on time . . battery 28% . . .

Sorry guys this is kind of funny even coming from a note 3 user

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Something is def wrong. Screen should be first in the list of battery draw for sure.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast