Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Wireless charger getting phone warm

I just picked up a wireless charger and noticed the phone and wireless charger get warm and just wanted to know if that was normal. It was at about 104 degrees when I took it off. I just want to make sure its not hurting the phone or battery.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Wireless charger getting phone warm

Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging is can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging is can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way
    This is true, but at the same time depends on the phone and wireless charger. With my TYLT Vu it charges my MAXX as fast as normal charging and the phone doesn't get any warmer... My battery life has actually been getting better. Probably due to the Vu's high power output and good design.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

There's nothing wrong with wireless charging. You just have to find a charger that doesn't get your phone boiling lava hot.

The Ghost 100 works just fine.
    Last edited by WallaceD; 02-20-2014 at 04:27 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Mine is not boiling hot just warm.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WallaceD View Post
    There's nothing wrong with wireless charging. You just have to find a charger that doesn't get your phone boiling lava hot.

The Ghost 100 works just fine.
    Mine gets up to 111 at the hottest, but I've noticed this level of heat in a car using gps navigation. I figure, if it gets this hot with navigation, then 111 can't be that bad for the phone. My phone also gets close to a 100 on a regular charger. I don't think an extra 10-12 degrees makes much of a difference in the long run. I certainly haven't noticed any ill effects in the last 6 months.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Since the wireless charger I have plugs in with a micro USB I use a different one than what came with it and it stays cool and seems to charge at the same rate. I have read though phones running at 110 seem to be doing just fine so I could switch back if needed.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

Wireless charging could make some heat, I purchased "CHOETECH" 3rd Generation Qi Wireless Charger from Amazon, the temperature record of the battery shows the temperature gets to 39 C degree, this is a little bit warm but still in normal condition. This one is very convenient, I can put my phone at any place on the pad and it will charge, no need to find the sweet spot.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Do you have a link for it?