Droid MAXX: contacts not syncing

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm setting up my new droid maxx and have added my Facebook account. My contacts don't seem to be syncing with Facebook so I can see contact pictures rather than the default contact picture.

Additionally, when I signed into Google for the first time on the new phone, my contacts didn't show up. They were manually transferred and then I ended up with duplicate contacts.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: contacts not syncing

Newer versions of android don't support Facebook contacts.

You can merge your duplicated contacts, just do a search.

-Jason

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I use Macs and use an app called Cobook, which syncs Google and Facebook contacts for me. But I have read that people swear by an Android app called sync.me for facebook contacts syncing: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.syncme.syncmeapp&hl=en&token=Gm4-4bgv

To de-duplicate Gmail contacts, open Gmail on a PC browser, and then open your contacts (it's on the upper left, there is a drop-down link that says "Gmail" - tap that and you can open contacts.) From your contacts, tap the "more" button toward the top of the contact list, and there is a menu option to find and merge duplicates.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I manually deleted the duplicate contacts.

As for Facebook, I had pictures with my contacts coming from the galaxy s3 on stock 4.3. Does 4.4 break the contact pictures?

Edit: I suppose the reason for the duplicate contacts was because they didn't transfer over right away after signing into Google. They were transferred via phone to phone using a machine.

Posted via Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

As for Facebook, I had pictures with my contacts coming from the galaxy s3 on stock 4.3. Does 4.4 break the contact pictures?

No, not really. A year or two ago Google and Facebook had a spat about contacts - Facebook was grabbing contact data from Google for their users to suggest friends but not allowing Google to grab contact info the other way, so Android removed that capability. It was something dumb like that. Samsung must do something custom on their phones. Facebook contacts never synced with the Droid Maxx from launch, when the phone was running 4.2.2.

Contact photos come from Google+ contacts, though. I'd try Sync.me - maybe that gets contact photos for you...

SeniorSwede

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

My syncing has been an abomination with up to 5 duplicate (and frequently empty) contacts for almost everyone. Then too I get contacts for family members with 10 year old email addresses and no longer in used phone numbers (maybe 8 years out of date). I have lost most of my contact pictures.My phone wants to sync to everything including my unused twitter and linked in accounts. I wish I could erase everything and then somehow sync to my IPad (which I hate) contacts that somehow stay right. The dealer "transfers" contacts with a wired device and I am told that there are contacts stored in the SIM card too. I wish there was a contact clearinghouse program. And, the apps to remove duplicates do not work. Tried two and they find maybe 3 contacts out of 100.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang