Droid MAXX: Quieting the Inductive Charging Tone

SeniorSwede

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I posted this in another thread but realized it was in the wrong place and no one would really see it! So here goes again:

My Incipio Ghost 100 Qi charger seems to work fine. It does get a bit warm but that subsides. However, after a few seconds it puts out a really loud tone and then the phone displays horizontal and vertical dashes (n-s-e-w) that you use to align the phone with the corresponding lines on the base.. Oddly, and often in the middle of the night, the phone emits that loud sound, turns on my contacts/phone page, and lights up the room. I wish that would stop. Probably in the non-existent instructions that came with the phone and the base are directions for this problem. I know I can find a pdf file for the phone somewhere. And why have the red light illuminate the bottom of the charger. Does anyone know where to find this tone and change it to something less jarring. I know I can find something peaceful in Zedge. I try my best to turn off all notification sounds and LED's in the night...who needs a light and sound show when sleeping. I think the phone reaches 100% in the middle of the night then does some sort of acknowledgement tone or it drifts down from 100% and re-establishes itself with the tone and alignment dashes displayed on the screen. MOTO has taken away the smart actions program and I think replaced it with other features. I have always loved the concept of inductive charging when Palm had it. Later companies had drop in chargers with little contacts on the back. Now they universally have those tiny micro USB plugs which take two shots to orient properly in dim light and are fragile. I also miss the vertical alphabet bar in contacts (Raszr Maxx HD) :for going directly to names that start with a particular letter. Now you scroll. Why do improvements always seem to be stupid? Or is it just me? :-\

Last edited by a moderator:

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Quieting the Inductivie Charging Tone

Hey, I am a former Palm Pre owner.. WebOS was awesome, still miss it. Android is finally almost as good in the areas where WebOS really shined.

First, the phone should not emit any tones for wireless charging if it is set on silent (or vibrate) at night - that's how mine behaves - even on the initial notification for wireless charging.

Anyway, are you sure it isn't just a subtle misalignment problem? I have a Tylt Vu and can't say I've ever seen the phone show that behavior where it has the NESW screen again after the initial placement.

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

First, the phone should not emit any tones for wireless charging if it is set on silent (or vibrate) at night - that's how mine behaves - even on the initial notification for wireless charging.

Anyway, are you sure it isn't just a subtle misalignment problem? I have a Tylt Vu and can't say I've ever seen the phone show that behavior where it has the NESW screen again after the initial placement.
I read somewhere that the only way to to lose that obnoxious loud tone completely is to be rooted and change a file somewhere (sorry for the vagueness). What I do if I care is to put the phone in Vibrate or Silent mode before dropping the phone on the wireless charger (Tylt in my case), and then put it back to Normal after charging starts.

SeniorSwede

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

You guys are right. Putting the phone on vibrate does Kill the obnoxious tone. Why couldn't they have picked a more pleasant tone. Maybe the Chinese builders like that sound?!?! And why have to root to make a simple notification change. Stupid. I am used to Smart Actions (gone) in my Razr Maxx HD for silence at night allowing only selected people to break thru. I took a fine tipped Sharpie and marked the cover with 2 dots to get the proper alignment right during placement. I have gone from a Droid Incredible, Razr Maxx, Razr Maxx HD to this Droid Maxx in a short few years and my head is swimming from all the software changes. That was gingerbread to kitkat too. In a way I wish they were more like Apple (gulp...I said that) and just upgrade all the OS's at the same time once each year. But people would not buy new phones. that doesn't seem to bother Apple...they stand in line all week to buy a phone that is essentially the same with some little tweak. ???

SeniorSwede

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

I also miss the little widget with 4 faces (that expanded to like 24) that you could use for quickly calling someone. I guess that got replaced by "Hello Google Now...Call Wife at work line 1" !

Swede

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

I took a fine tipped Sharpie and marked the cover with 2 dots to get the proper alignment right during placement.
I must be spoiled by the Tylt. I just causually toss the Maxx onto it, and it always works. I have never had to fuss about placement.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I must be spoiled by the Tylt. I just causually toss the Maxx onto it, and it always works. I have never had to fuss about placement.

I believe that the Tylt was made specifically so that placement is not critical.

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

You guys are right. Putting the phone on vibrate does Kill the obnoxious tone. Why couldn't they have picked a more pleasant tone. Maybe the Chinese builders like that sound?!?! And why have to root to make a simple notification change. Stupid. I am used to Smart Actions (gone) in my Razr Maxx HD for silence at night allowing only selected people to break thru. I took a fine tipped Sharpie and marked the cover with 2 dots to get the proper alignment right during placement. I have gone from a Droid Incredible, Razr Maxx, Razr Maxx HD to this Droid Maxx in a short few years and my head is swimming from all the software changes. That was gingerbread to kitkat too. In a way I wish they were more like Apple (gulp...I said that) and just upgrade all the OS's at the same time once each year. But people would not buy new phones. that doesn't seem to bother Apple...they stand in line all week to buy a phone that is essentially the same with some little tweak. ???

I use silence to get time-based automation of when the phone is on silent or vibrate. Pretty handy. A plus to android is there is always a way to fix a problem, but the downside is sometimes it takes some effort to get there. With Apple, you pretty much have to jailbreak if you don't like the way things work. I love the Droid Maxx because it is the phone I have least had to customize of any I've ever owned.. but when I've wanted to, I could.

SeniorSwede

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

I just found my first hiccup in the silencing idea. I use an app called Lightning Bug as a sleep tones white sounds program that runs for 45 minutes. On silence I have no ocean waves or rainstorms to quiet my pre-sleep time. I guess I will have to deal with the obnoxious tone.

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I just found my first hiccup in the silencing idea. I use an app called Lightning Bug as a sleep tones white sounds program that runs for 45 minutes. On silence I have no ocean waves or rainstorms to quiet my pre-sleep time. I guess I will have to deal with the obnoxious tone.

I still think misalignment on the charging pad is the reason for the tones in the middle of the night.. AFAIK mine only plays tones when i first put it on the charger.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Yup, returned my ghost100 and bought a tylt . . problem solved and much much more convenient and easy to use.