Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CharlesH
  • 2 Post By revtech
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Droid MAXX: Quieting the Inductive Charging Tone

    I posted this in another thread but realized it was in the wrong place and no one would really see it! So here goes again:

    My Incipio Ghost 100 Qi charger seems to work fine. It does get a bit warm but that subsides. However, after a few seconds it puts out a really loud tone and then the phone displays horizontal and vertical dashes (n-s-e-w) that you use to align the phone with the corresponding lines on the base.. Oddly, and often in the middle of the night, the phone emits that loud sound, turns on my contacts/phone page, and lights up the room. I wish that would stop. Probably in the non-existent instructions that came with the phone and the base are directions for this problem. I know I can find a pdf file for the phone somewhere. And why have the red light illuminate the bottom of the charger. Does anyone know where to find this tone and change it to something less jarring. I know I can find something peaceful in Zedge. I try my best to turn off all notification sounds and LED's in the night...who needs a light and sound show when sleeping. I think the phone reaches 100% in the middle of the night then does some sort of acknowledgement tone or it drifts down from 100% and re-establishes itself with the tone and alignment dashes displayed on the screen. MOTO has taken away the smart actions program and I think replaced it with other features. I have always loved the concept of inductive charging when Palm had it. Later companies had drop in chargers with little contacts on the back. Now they universally have those tiny micro USB plugs which take two shots to orient properly in dim light and are fragile. I also miss the vertical alphabet bar in contacts (Raszr Maxx HD) :for going directly to names that start with a particular letter. Now you scroll. Why do improvements always seem to be stupid? Or is it just me?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Quieting the Inductivie Charging Tone

    Hey, I am a former Palm Pre owner.. WebOS was awesome, still miss it. Android is finally almost as good in the areas where WebOS really shined.

    First, the phone should not emit any tones for wireless charging if it is set on silent (or vibrate) at night - that's how mine behaves - even on the initial notification for wireless charging.

    Anyway, are you sure it isn't just a subtle misalignment problem? I have a Tylt Vu and can't say I've ever seen the phone show that behavior where it has the NESW screen again after the initial placement.
  3. #3  
    CharlesH's Avatar

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    589 Global Posts

    Default Re: Quieting the Inductivie Charging Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by AustinAggie View Post
    First, the phone should not emit any tones for wireless charging if it is set on silent (or vibrate) at night - that's how mine behaves - even on the initial notification for wireless charging.

    Anyway, are you sure it isn't just a subtle misalignment problem? I have a Tylt Vu and can't say I've ever seen the phone show that behavior where it has the NESW screen again after the initial placement.
    I read somewhere that the only way to to lose that obnoxious loud tone completely is to be rooted and change a file somewhere (sorry for the vagueness). What I do if I care is to put the phone in Vibrate or Silent mode before dropping the phone on the wireless charger (Tylt in my case), and then put it back to Normal after charging starts.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Quieting the Inductivie Charging Tone

    You guys are right. Putting the phone on vibrate does Kill the obnoxious tone. Why couldn't they have picked a more pleasant tone. Maybe the Chinese builders like that sound?!?! And why have to root to make a simple notification change. Stupid. I am used to Smart Actions (gone) in my Razr Maxx HD for silence at night allowing only selected people to break thru. I took a fine tipped Sharpie and marked the cover with 2 dots to get the proper alignment right during placement. I have gone from a Droid Incredible, Razr Maxx, Razr Maxx HD to this Droid Maxx in a short few years and my head is swimming from all the software changes. That was gingerbread to kitkat too. In a way I wish they were more like Apple (gulp...I said that) and just upgrade all the OS's at the same time once each year. But people would not buy new phones. that doesn't seem to bother Apple...they stand in line all week to buy a phone that is essentially the same with some little tweak. ???
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Quieting the Inductivie Charging Tone

    I also miss the little widget with 4 faces (that expanded to like 24) that you could use for quickly calling someone. I guess that got replaced by "Hello Google Now...Call Wife at work line 1" !

    Swede
  6. #6  
    CharlesH's Avatar

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    589 Global Posts

    Default Re: Quieting the Inductivie Charging Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by SeniorSwede View Post
    I took a fine tipped Sharpie and marked the cover with 2 dots to get the proper alignment right during placement.
    I must be spoiled by the Tylt. I just causually toss the Maxx onto it, and it always works. I have never had to fuss about placement.
    AustinAggie likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Quieting the Inductivie Charging Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    I must be spoiled by the Tylt. I just causually toss the Maxx onto it, and it always works. I have never had to fuss about placement.
    I believe that the Tylt was made specifically so that placement is not critical.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Quieting the Inductivie Charging Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    I believe that the Tylt was made specifically so that placement is not critical.
    Yep it was.. I use it for that plus the angle it sits at means I can use the phone as a nightstand clock.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Quieting the Inductivie Charging Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by SeniorSwede View Post
    You guys are right. Putting the phone on vibrate does Kill the obnoxious tone. Why couldn't they have picked a more pleasant tone. Maybe the Chinese builders like that sound?!?! And why have to root to make a simple notification change. Stupid. I am used to Smart Actions (gone) in my Razr Maxx HD for silence at night allowing only selected people to break thru. I took a fine tipped Sharpie and marked the cover with 2 dots to get the proper alignment right during placement. I have gone from a Droid Incredible, Razr Maxx, Razr Maxx HD to this Droid Maxx in a short few years and my head is swimming from all the software changes. That was gingerbread to kitkat too. In a way I wish they were more like Apple (gulp...I said that) and just upgrade all the OS's at the same time once each year. But people would not buy new phones. that doesn't seem to bother Apple...they stand in line all week to buy a phone that is essentially the same with some little tweak. ???
    I use silence to get time-based automation of when the phone is on silent or vibrate. Pretty handy. A plus to android is there is always a way to fix a problem, but the downside is sometimes it takes some effort to get there. With Apple, you pretty much have to jailbreak if you don't like the way things work. I love the Droid Maxx because it is the phone I have least had to customize of any I've ever owned.. but when I've wanted to, I could.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Quieting the Inductivie Charging Tone

    I just found my first hiccup in the silencing idea. I use an app called Lightning Bug as a sleep tones white sounds program that runs for 45 minutes. On silence I have no ocean waves or rainstorms to quiet my pre-sleep time. I guess I will have to deal with the obnoxious tone.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Quieting the Inductivie Charging Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by SeniorSwede View Post
    I just found my first hiccup in the silencing idea. I use an app called Lightning Bug as a sleep tones white sounds program that runs for 45 minutes. On silence I have no ocean waves or rainstorms to quiet my pre-sleep time. I guess I will have to deal with the obnoxious tone.
    I still think misalignment on the charging pad is the reason for the tones in the middle of the night.. AFAIK mine only plays tones when i first put it on the charger.
  12. #12  
    revtech's Avatar

    Posts
    210 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts

    Default Re: Droid MAXX: Quieting the Inductive Charging Tone

    Yup, returned my ghost100 and bought a tylt . . problem solved and much much more convenient and easy to use.

Similar Threads

  1. Moto X: Dust in the Camera lens
    By mojofusion in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-25-2014, 03:10 PM
  2. Getting the Galaxy S5? Which device are you coming from?
    By Almeuit in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 10:30 AM
  3. Is there any way to disable the 3G radio on a 4GLTE phone?
    By willmon22 in forum LG Optimus Series
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 03:14 PM
  4. charging issues
    By oldgeekca in forum AT&T Galaxy S3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM
  5. Tapping the hive mind here
    By teleburst in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 11:08 AM

Posting Permissions