Can you connect a USB thumb drive to a Maxx?

kach474

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Title says it.

Because of no SD card I was attempting to use a USB to back up videos. I used one with my Razr Maxx HD worked great. Was thinking about switching to a Maxx from an S4 but if I cant at least use a external drive in some way the big battery is just not worth it.

Thanks

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Title says it.

Because of no SD card I was attempting to use a USB to back up videos. I used one with my Razr Maxx HD worked great. Was thinking about switching to a Maxx from an S4 but if I cant at least use a external drive in some way the big battery is just not worth it.

Thanks

There are a couple options for increased storage. First, you can use a thumb drive with a USB On The Go cable, or you could use the microSD card reader from Meenova. The Meenova card reader is a kickstarter project like the Pebble smartwatch and costs around $12 + $3 shipping when i bought mine. With the cap in place it measures .8"x.9"x.3". Remove the cap and there's a micro USB connector to plug into the charging port, and it has a slot on the side for a microSd card. To use it, you will also need an app like Nexus Media Importer (this is only required since the 4.4 KK update) to read and play the files. Otherwise, any thumb drive and a USB OTG cable will also work, but the meenova is more compact and can be attached to a keychain.

http://www.meenova.com/st/p/m3r.html

kach474

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
OK thanks. I tried the cord I used in the HD but got nothing. I'll try that app. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
OK thanks. I tried the cord I used in the HD but got nothing. I'll try that app. Thanks

Is the cord a USB OTG cable, or just a regular micro USB cable? I don't know the actual difference between them, but a standard cable won't work. Also, what Maxx are you trying this on, is it the Razr Maxx HD or a Droid Maxx from 2013?

kach474

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Not sure. It's just a generic one I bought on eBay. Prob the issue. Using it on the new Maxx xt1080. I think I'm going to get one of those meenova's. Looks pretty cool.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure. It's just a generic one I bought on eBay. Prob the issue. Using it on the new Maxx xt1080. I think I'm going to get one of those meenova's. Looks pretty cool.

That's probably why. If you do a search for either USB OTG cable or USB On The Go cable, you should get the proper one. And like I said, after you pick up either, you'll need an app like Nexus Media Importer, that goes for $3.99 I believe. For some reason the 4.4 update broke the ability to use external storage. I don't know if that only applies to the Meenova or to USB OTG cables + thumb drives also. I know you need the app to use the Meenova but don't about USB OTG.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante