Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default display

I am a maxx user for many months now and am curious if anyone has a fix for my issue or if I an using it wrong.. I am a heavy user and it drives me nuts when the display goes to sleep with no instant/quick way to wake. Example...if I make a call.. Either by dialing or from contacts...immediately the screen shuts off.....tapping does not wake up... I have to push power button.... Is this normal? I frequently want to put call on speaker or access calendar etc. I find it very unproductive.

Secondly... While the active display notifications are great..I often see them as they are fading out. If i get to phone once they have faded out...I cannot wake the phone unless push power button. Picking up phone... Shaking twisting etc does not wake it.

Am I doing something wrong?. I am close to tossing phone for something new.

Thanks folks

Default Re: display

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
    I am a maxx user for many months now and am curious if anyone has a fix for my issue or if I an using it wrong.. I am a heavy user and it drives me nuts when the display goes to sleep with no instant/quick way to wake. Example...if I make a call.. Either by dialing or from contacts...immediately the screen shuts off.....tapping does not wake up... I have to push power button.... Is this normal? I frequently want to put call on speaker or access calendar etc. I find it very unproductive.
    Yep, that's the way it works. It should be able to wake on movement if the prox sensor is uncovered, but apparently it doesn't.

Secondly... While the active display notifications are great..I often see them as they are fading out. If i get to phone once they have faded out...I cannot wake the phone unless push power button. Picking up phone... Shaking twisting etc does not wake it.
    Try turning the phone over (face down) on a table then pick it up. Or put it in your pocket and then remove it. Turn on twist to start the camera and the it will definitely power on when you do the gesture (to the camera) and the you can press home. That should do it. But, you're seeing what the rest of us are seeing. It's normal.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Yep, that's the way it works. It should be able to wake on movement if the prox sensor is uncovered, but apparently it doesn't.

Try turning the phone over (face down) on a table then pick it up. Or put it in your pocket and then remove it. Turn on twist to start the camera and the it will definitely power on when you do the gesture (to the camera) and the you can press home. That should do it. But, you're seeing what the rest of us are seeing. It's normal.
    Is there any way to just disable all of this nonsense. I like the phone, but for a heavy user , this is really one of those bells and whistles that I feel just fluff that slows me down and is not efficient.

thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
    Is there any way to just disable all of this nonsense. I like the phone, but for a heavy user , this is really one of those bells and whistles that I feel just fluff that slows me down and is not efficient.

thanks for your reply
    Turn off active display? Sure. Setting / active display. You can turn it off there. You can turn off the camera gesture in the camera app. With the camera open, slide from the left edge to the right to expose the settings for the camera. Slide the semi-circular controls until you see the bottom-most one - that's the control to toggle the shake to start camera setting.

For the phone powering on, unless you've turned on settings / acccessibility / power button ends call, you can light the screen on a speakerphone call by pressing the power button. That's the only way, though, on a call with the phone not held to your face.

Oh, I thought of another way to power the phone on without pressing power: Setting / touchless controls. Turn that on and train the phone. Now you can say "OK Google Now" to power the phone on with your voice. It opens to a search screen; you can press home to go back home, etc.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks - I will play with some of those settings. Much appreciate your input.

If your screen shuts off as soon as you make a call, your proximity sensor is probably seeing something (perhaps a screen protector?). It only turns off for me if I put my face or my finger to the left of the ear speaker. Yours shouldn't turn off the phone unless it thinks your face is near the screen. If you have a screen protector, you may need to try using the phone without it to see if that is causing the problem.